Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

engiine help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 01:37 PM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engiine help

I am new to using gas engines. I have a top flite giant P-47. The instructions show the us 41 installed in the bird. Different people have told me that that engine won't pull the hat off of your head. My Question is will the Zenoah G 45 hall this bird around? I'm covering it with Monokote not paint and fiberglass.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:42 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default engiine help

I'm not an engine authority by any means, but the US engines ARE somewhat on the weak side. You are going to need an engine that has weight to help offset the tail heavy condition that exists for most warbirds.

The G-45 will be a good start, but if you have the room and can afford the extra initial cost, you might consider a G-62. Personally, I would rather have extra horsepower in reserve, than to be marginal at the start. It also provides you with a engine that can later be used on larger models, if desired.

There are other engines out there that can do the job, and do it well. I'm certain others will reply with excellent thoughts on this.

Silversurfer
Old 03-02-2003, 02:39 AM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engiine help

what are the specs on the plane?
wingspan? weight?

i agree with silversurfer about having the extra power. You can always pull back on the stick, but when it is all the way forward, thats all you have.

Your best bet would be to figure out how heavy the engine needs to be to properly balance the plane and then get the one with the most power for that weight. There are some awesome engines that don't have that much weight that would give you a lot more power than the US. Look at the Brison, ZDZ, & DA 50-80cc single cylinder engines
Old 03-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default engiine help

A little addition to my first reply.

Allow 1 cubic inch of displacement for each 10 lbs. of aircraft weight, ready to fly. Go up to the next cubic inch if your weight ends up in a 5. Example: 20 lbs=2ci; 25lbs=3ci. This is for gas engines use only, not glow.

The old rule of 12lbs per cubic inch has a tendency to leave a plane a little on the short side of enough power.

I like to see how much weight is going to be needed to balance the plane without the engine, after all the radio and covering has been installed. The weight needed will be a good starting point for my engine selection. If I'm already in the market to purchase a new engine, then the weight and required power determine what engine I will purchase.

I hope I have been more helpful than confusing. Best of luck in all your endeavors,
Silversurfer