Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Glass Spinner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
tankertoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass Spinner?

Anybody know where (else) to find a fiberglass spinner? Esprit has been out for a while and has no idea when they are getting more.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:27 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Glass Spinner?

I have made a fiberglass spinner but never put it on an airplane. About 4 inch diameter, I think. I used a commercially manufactured aluminum spinner as a mold, made a female mold from that and then layed up the final fiberglass part inside the mold. Came out quite nice. But I was not certain what to use for a spinner backplate. What do the factory-made fiberglass spinners use for a backplate? And how is th wspinner attached to the backplate. Are they like Carbon Fiber spinners (6 screw through the perimeter)?

My CF spinners come out of the same mold quite nice, but I don't like taking off the 6 screws every time I need to check the prop bolts. So generally I use the aluminum spinners as they are easy to get on and off.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM
tankertoad

Default RE: Glass Spinner?

The glass ones are just like the CF ones, just cheaper. The backplate on the one they sell is aluminum. I want to go with one for weight savings and looks (white gel coat goes with my scheme).