Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Walbro carb problem on BCMA 26

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
mdegreve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro carb problem on BCMA 26

I have a BCMA SPE 26 with a Walbro carb installed to it. From the start, I had serious problems with the carb settings.
The carb has a velocity stack to pump air from outside the cowl. However, when settings are correct with the cowl removed, they change when the cowl is installed.
In addition to this, settings may change as well from one day to another. And I mean, not just a little. I sually get a horrible transition with the cowl installed.
I can't understand that...
Anyone to help ?

Michael
Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
schao@cermark

Default RE: Walbro carb problem on BCMA 26

Contact Adam at BCMA. He is very nice and Knowledgable. Here is BCMA's website (contact information).

http://www.bcmaengines.com/index.htm
Email: [email protected]

Peace,
Steven Chao,
Cermark
Old 06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
gapple12

Post a pic of your install. You might be blocking to much air. I had to trim my cowl a little to get the correct airflow on my SPE 40cc.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
mdegreve

Hi Gapple 12,

I will take some pictures during the weekend. It makes sense to me, as I didn't take this factor into account. Now, the reason why I do not contact Adam anymore is simply because I did't get any answer to my previous messages. The original ZAMA card was already exhanged for a Walbro, with some improvements but no more success so far. The engine runs well when tuned with the cowl off but has a horrible mid range response with the cowl on. I noticed also some leak of oil spreding to the right wing only. I suspect a failule of the card block, but need to investigate this further. This is why I didn't post this issue to the SPE-26 thread. It's probably more a Carb problem.

Michael
Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
mdegreve

I have received the support of BCMA. For those who are interested, the recommended solution is to install a static line on the bottom of the carb and run a piece of fuel tubing into the fuselage of the plane. This should equalize the air pressure differential that the carb is seeing.
Next post will be made in the BCMA thread. This one can be closed.

Thanks,

Michael