Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

tank vent

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 AM
Switch_639

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tank vent

will be installing my first GAS engine into a 30cc MX2 ARF kit... Ive heard something about the tank needing a vent? any explanations or pics, graphs of some kind to give me a visual idea what is meant by this?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Switch_639

Default RE: tank vent

whats the diff between nitro and gas here? nitro uses the 3rd pipe to plug into exhaust... what happens to the 3rd one for GAS?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run the third one to the bottom of the tank on gas and use it for a fill line. It is kept plugged with a fuel dot when not filling or pumping out the tank.

The second line is a vent. Wrap the vent around the tank and let it be open to the atmosephere. Inside the tank, it goes to the top.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run the third one to the bottom of the tank on gas and use it for a fill line. It is kept plugged with a fuel dot when not filling or pumping out the tank.

The second line is a vent. Wrap the vent around the tank and let it be open to the atmosephere. Inside the tank, it goes to the top.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:21 AM
Switch_639

thanks man... simple enough...
Old 05-16-2010, 06:32 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Hope this helps

On the inside of the tank use solder barbs (or equivent) and tie-wrap to hold the fuel line to the brass lines
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18411.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1436878  
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Switch_639

thanks... I know what to do now... thought it was something different all together...
Old 05-17-2010, 12:14 AM
tuskegee
My Feedback: (1)

Some good infomation. First thing is that on a nitro the muffler line put pressure in the tank so that the carb can get fuel. on a gas engine it has a pump and that draws from the tank so the vent pulls air into the tank sa the pump draws the gas into the engine. If you did not have the vent line the tank would collapse. In my units I put my vent line on the side of the tank like the letter S holding it on with zips or silicone then out the bottom of the plane. The S helps stop the gas from comming out and lets the air come in.
Tuskegee
U.S.Army(ret.)[8D]
Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

thats correct, most of us when we have just 2 pipe use a "t" on the line that goes on the carburator to split the fuel dot line and carburator line.