Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Important Evolution 45GX2 cranking info

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Important Evolution 45GX2 cranking info

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:09 PM
oregonrc
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Important Evolution 45GX2 cranking info

Even though you're not an expert, you certainly have solutions that I would've never thought of. I purchased this engine so my shop could do a little research on these engines and give our customers some insight. I've have one customer in particular that I've been working with and warning about possible problems. So, I can share your experiences as well as mine and hopefully we'll all have great running engines. When I've got mine running, it's turning a 23 x 8 Zoar @5800 RPM. That's with a half gallon through it at 3800' . I was impressed with the way it flew, I just want it to be easier to start. Regardless, expert or not, your help is greatly appreciated. We run a full service shop with a repair facility, but this engine just baffled me. Thanks again. I'll get you an update as soon as I get time to start it. Before I forget, the reed block required some sanding. There is what I would consider substansial "flashing" that needed to be removed for the reeds to sit flush.

Dave
Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 PM
oregonrc

Well, here's an update...same story. This engine will not draw fuel. At this point, I'm extremely frustrated with this engine and it is on it's way to Horizon. I've rotated the backplate, sanded the reed block, adjusted the needles, checked all the wiring, etc, etc, etc. I'm not sure what Horizon's solution to this will be, but as of now, I would not recommend this engine to a customer. This, of course, is based on my engine only. I do have one customer that has the exact setup that I have and I'm really hoping that his experience is a lot better than mine. Anyhow, I'll look forward to hearing from Horizon.

Dave
Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to give some ballance, my MVVS 45 Magnezium essetially the same engine has run faultlesly since I opend the box, putting a MTW 75 Cannister exhaust on it netted 1050 rpm more, its now had about a gallon of fuel through it and is pulling a 22x10 Mejzlik at 6,950 rpm, the cannister is positioned for optimum revs.

I have no complaints with this engine in any way.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My goodness,,, []
I sure hate to hear that you are still having problems. I know how frustrating it is.. Yikes.

Good luck with Horizon I hope you get the problem resolved. I will be watching for updates once you finally get it running.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:30 PM
oregonrc

BaldEagle, I know that these are good engines. I just think that there's something wrong beyond what we've tried. I'm certainly not giving up on this engine. It's the same as with most manufacturers. Some run wonderfully, others take a little "extra". I'll post an update when I get it back. Thanks again guys.

Dave
Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 PM
MikeEast

Just an update,
It looks like I really have all of the kinks worked out now. I got 5 more flights on the plane yesterday and the engine started and ran perfectly. I do still have to tilt the nose down and flip it choked to get it to prime, but its simple to do and it starts very easily.

Mike
Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM
oregonrc

I talked to Horizon today. They said that the backplate was backwards. I informed them that I did that because of what I read here. They replaced the carb, as well. Hopefully that will resolve the problem. I'll let you guys know.

Dave
Old 08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
MikeEast

lol, that is too funny. I actually worked WITH the Horizon Evolution technical guys on flipping the backplate. I guess that your guy did not get the memo. The engine runs perfectly with the backplate flipped over for inverted engines. I bet that if you had a bad carb that it will run perfectly for you now either way. I know there are lots of 45's out there that have the backplate oriented as it came from the factory that run ok. We just tried it to see if it would work and it did!

Let us know how it runs!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
oregonrc

Just to save time, I think I'll flip the backplate just in case. I really don't want to pull the engine off again. I've got my fingers crossed. Hopefully, I'll have the engine tomorrow.

Dave
Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 PM
oregonrc

Well...here's the update. Sorry it's taken so long to get to it. I got the engine back from Horizon with a replacement carb on the engine. Stuck the engine on the plane and same problem. I took that engine off and put a friend's Evolution 45gx2 on. It would not start either. At this point, I decided to dig deeper into the problem. I saw that my fuel valve wasn't at a "perfect" angle to draw fuel from the tank than into the carb. I rotated the valve 30 degrees of so and shortened the line from the tank to the valve about 4 inches. Presto!! It fired right up and ran great. I put six or seven flights on that engine before I decided to try my engine. Installed my engine and it too fired right up. It'll swing a 22 x 8 Bolly carbon prob at 7000RPM. It's got unlimited vertical and I couldn't be happier. These really are great engines. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Dave
Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: oregonrc

Well...here's the update. Sorry it's taken so long to get to it. I got the engine back from Horizon with a replacement carb on the engine. Stuck the engine on the plane and same problem. I took that engine off and put a friend's Evolution 45gx2 on. It would not start either. At this point, I decided to dig deeper into the problem. I saw that my fuel valve wasn't at a "perfect" angle to draw fuel from the tank than into the carb. I rotated the valve 30 degrees of so and shortened the line from the tank to the valve about 4 inches. Presto!! It fired right up and ran great. I put six or seven flights on that engine before I decided to try my engine. Installed my engine and it too fired right up. It'll swing a 22 x 8 Bolly carbon prob at 7000RPM. It's got unlimited vertical and I couldn't be happier. These really are great engines. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Dave

They are finicky for fuel though... Everything has to be perfect, when it is they are a GREAT running engine.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: oregonrc

Dave

Ah Ha the old two pipe tank problem rears its ugly head again, these fuling valves have been the source of many starting problems on lots of different engines in this gas engine thread, using a three pipe system gets over this in one stroke, just use the third pipe to fuel and de fuel by bending the pipe to the bottom of the tank and blank it off before flying.

Mike