Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How to convert Glow engine to Ignition gas engine

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How to convert Glow engine to Ignition gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:55 PM
borna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to convert Glow engine to Ignition gas engine

Hi everybody,
Is it practical to convert a 60 - 90 2 cycle glow engine to ignition gas engine?
I have a 90 2 cycle and I want to try to convert it. I know I need to change the carb to Walbro and need to know what size carb I need?
Anyone has a web link to buy Walbro carb online?
What type of ignition system I need? I'm assuming I need a CD ignition? Again any link for purchasing that online?

any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks
Borna
Old 07-04-2007, 07:42 PM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to convert Glow engine to Ignition gas engine

Try BME Engines, They sell a .91 Super Tiger converted to gas, If you just want the parts to try yourself contact "RCIGN1" He hangs out here and hosts a form of his own. Pm him as he sells parts to convert most small gas engines to model use and does some really nice work. If it can be done on the engine you have he will be able to help you out.
Keep us all informed as you go along.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:24 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: How to convert Glow engine to Ignition gas engine

Borna,
This question should be on the engine conversion forum. It is doable, but you will need to use the same amount of oil that is used with a glow engine operation. This is because of the bronze rod bearings. Gas engines usually have needle bearing con rods. This allows lower oil content in the fuel. A weedeater size carb will be needed. These have about a 7mm venturi. the walbro versions have 20 cast into the carb inlet. For ignition you can use a electronic unit from any nuber of sources or run it on gas/glow fuel mix with a 4 stroke glow plug. 1/4x32 spark plugs cost about $16. All of this is found in the engine conversion forum with a simple search. Good luck.

Dave

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_92/tt.htm