Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 26ccGT Piece of Junk

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
JUGFLIER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 26ccGT Piece of Junk

I would like to advise all those in RC Universe to avoid at all costs the purchasing of the Evolution GT 26 engine. I have one i purchased a little over a year ago and it will not make the power advertised on the Horizon website. Before i purchased the engine i called Horizon to clarify the specs and was assured the engine would make 3.8 Hp. Well it won't. I purchased the engine to go on a Wild Hare 25% edge. It would barely fly it. Instead of an 18x8 prop i had to back all the way down to 16x6 to make flying speed. When i called horizon i was told i woul have to have a tuned pipe setup to make the power they advertised. Guess what, they were on back order. I had to order it and wait 3 months. In the meantime i bought a Fuji to go on the plane and it ran flawless. I put the engine up in my cabinet in my house and about 6 months later took it out to put it on a cap 232 i had bought used. The engine would not run at all. Seems the elctronic ignition has issues. The new ignition system costs 239.00 bucks, i only paid$399 for the motor $85.00 for a pitts muffler and then $100.00 for the tuned pipe. For this money i could have bought a DA, Brillelli, 3W or any other engine that is reputable.

This engine does not have 2 hours runtime on it. I am fixing to send it to Horizon for service under warranty but don't have hopes they will treat me right after i was rudely treated on the phone by the tech support people. I really wan't my money back as I feel i was LIED to and no matter what they do, I will not be happy with this engine due to the totally bad experience it has brought me.

I am fixing to purchase a Double Vision and you can BET there won't be any EVOLUTION engine in it.

From reading these threads it is obvious that i am not the only one.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Evolution 26ccGT Piece of Junk

I have two of these motors and must say that I had a fair share of issues also. I returned them to Horizon after several months of use and they agreed with me that they did not meet specs. They sent me two new GT2's as replacements and its like night and day difference. The GT2 is mush more powerful than the original GT's I had. I am very pleased with the GT2' over the last several months and I must say in my case Horizon treated me fairly and with respect when I called. Hopefully they send you a new GT2 as a replacement and you have better luck. Jerry.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all of these here run extremely well - had one bad ignition
on 18x6 props and their pipe setup - 8500-9000 on the ground and up to 1000 easily in th air
I think I looked at 4 of em --
The one NON pipe one les power and 16x8 was best prop for that one but 10 lb model would hover and recover. a Maxair model
Old 07-10-2007, 04:00 PM
JUGFLIER

Three out of four running right is not good, but then the other guy was none out of 2 running right. Sounds like real problems to me. I just wan't my money back to buy a REAL engine.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your reading of my post was incorrect.
Frankly you are sounding very foolish to those who have even a basic understanding of the small gas engines . Do yourself a favor and study up on the subject .
Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

How do you know your not getting 3.8 HP....and what manufacturer doesn't state the absolute best ideal conditions as to HP ratings?

Just sell the motor for goodness sakes, take a loss of $100 or 2 fill ups on an SUV, sell it on Ebay or RCU, and take your lumps and chauk it up to experience. I assure you that someone could take your motor and make it work in some application. I suppose you got totally ripped off and you should complain to your credit card company, or whoever you think you should and can, but it really is unfair to use the online media as a means to "blackmail" a vendor.

Negative press is as good as positive press so when one of my customers does this to me I make sure and do absolutely nothing for them since they've already "used" up all and any cards they had to get a peaceful resolution. Most companies are not out to rip people off but they have their side as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:41 PM
JUGFLIER

3d- This engine will not even fire now. It does not run. So you recommend i do what Evolution did and sell thengine to someone knowing it does not run. Frankly i have better morals than that. Am i black mailing the seller? No, you have already seen the posts in this thread as well as others in here of people who have had problems with this engine. Evolution has changed the electronic ignition three times in less than 2 years. They know they had a problem. They continued to sell these engines knowing they did not run right and LIED to their customers. If Ford or GM had done this the government would hammer them. People need to be made aware of fraudulent business practices.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:49 PM
3d-aholic

I don't doubt that you got a bit of the raw deal on the EI but you don't have a leg to stand on as far as the HP rating marketing info goes...just questioning your methods at getting resolution.

Did you tell them first that you want them to replace the EI ignition (it should be under warranty after just 3months) or you were going to start defaming them? I have a hard time believing they wouldn't just replace this if its a known problem and your only talking about 3 months and not 3 years.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 PM
JUGFLIER

I have only had the engine a little over a year. It would not put out power so i was told by tech support to break it in. I then called again and was told to get the tuned pipe. I waited 3 months to get it. Mean while i ought a nother brand engine. I had a member of my club trade me a 74" hang 9 cap 232, so after 5 or 6 months in the cabinet i get it out AND mount it on the plane....... I won't even fire. I have had it a little over a year and it hasn't got 2 hours runtime.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I'm with 3D on this one. Sounds like you need to lower your blood pressure on this one by just moving on. Why not just sell it on the net. You don't need to misrepresent your item by implying or stating it is only a year old and 'like new'. Just be honest with people and state what you have gone through, accepting a reasonable price based on the situation. Many guys out there, me included, will consider these ads, knowing it may take some work to fix whatever. I see them all the time. We just expect a discount for the trouble. Some guys just have a knack for getting to the bottom of things like this, where others may struggle. Anyway, it would be out of your life and off you mind.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:23 PM
JUGFLIER

Too bad companies can peddle junk and lie to their customers and some people don't think it is a problem.

In the MVVS support forum there are many threads of people with this problem and in the support forum their posts go unanswered. Too Sad.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like the feedback is kinda harsh. All you guys must be in a grumpy mood! Instead of "you out too,s" maybe a little real help may be in order. As for any of the big companies going broke...should never happen. They get this RC stuff very cheap in huge quanities and the mark up is big. [:-]
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM
JUGFLIER

thanks for the support CaptinJohn, you are a real american. So many people today are just sheep, allowing themselves to be used, i am tired of being ripped off by companies trying to make fast buck and running when there is a problem.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 PM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Suck it up and take a loss. What a great suggestion. Im guessing people are just used to paying top dollar for RC products that dont perform as suggested by the manufacturer. I would send it back and make them fix it. Dont take a loss or try to sell the piece of junk to someone on the ebay. Make them stand behind their products. People claim what great products and customer service they have. Make them prove it.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 AM
Kema

Evolution is a rebadged MVVS, but I guess that all claims about Evolution should be addressed to Horizon, not to MVVS. MVVS support forum is held up by MVVS dealers and I really don't think that they should act as Horizon customer service and take responsibility over Evolution brand.

Selecting a 26cc gasser for over 12lbs 3D plane is just stupid. 45cc would do the job. There is always a learning curve with new things like gas engines and I have bought also some totally wrong items over the years.

FYI: My MVVS 26 with tuned pipe is purring like a kitten 8100rpm using Menz 18x8.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I have had 3 gas engines over the last 10 years and all of them have given me grief. The first one a 2.4 by a VERY popular manufacture took 3 trips to the manufacturer and 2 years to get it straightened out. It works great now. The second a MVVS 26cc ( same as your Evolution ) was a problem so I sold it and moved on. The third was another VERY popular 52cc engine and after 1 year and 3 trips back to the manufacture I have managed 12 very miserable flights with it. It maybe OK after this last trip to home base, I haven't tried it.

My point to all this is that some of us are either very unlucky or your right there is some bad apples out there. My experience has me rethinking this whole gas thing. Let's just say I'm keeping my glow engines for a while yet

Jugflier I will tell you that venting on a forum such as this will get you nothing but grief. Last year when I was having problems with the 52cc I vented on another site and was insulted and dumped on so bad for it that I have never returned to that site to this day. But good luck.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:52 AM
reincarnate

Jugflier..I feel your pain. However not on this engine. I have two and am pleased with their performance. You seem to be visiting every post in existence on this engine and putting your two cents in. Look around at the title of the other posts while your there. A good portion of the posts are about people having problems with their engines, their carbs, their whatever from DA, 3W, everyone. You are unfortunate to have had the trouble you describe, however attempting to singlehandedly undermine a manufacturer is fruitless. Return the whole setup to the manufacturer and let them fix it, then sell it and be done with it. The approach you have taken so far only serves to make that vein in your head pulse!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:14 AM
JUGFLIER

Reincarnate, You are probably right. If this thread helps keep one person from going thru the grief i have it will be worth it. They had their chance to refund my money and i would have moved on. Maybe this thread will cost them more than $600.00 before its over.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 AM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jug, PM me with your address and I'll give you a free ignition. I've got the ignitions from my older GT's. The GT2's use a different ignition module. Thanks, Jerry.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
JUGFLIER

What a wonderful offer Jerry, Thank you. I have sent to sorry excuse for a motor back to Horizon for service. Let me wait and see what kind of rigamorole they give me. If i need them i will pay you something for it.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....also, let's keep in mind the difference between talking about problems and manufacturer bashing, ok?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:03 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My suggestion to move on and let someone else take a fresh approach to the problem was given in your interests not the hobby in general, knocking the American way, or the state of the union for heavens sake. Seams like you just need to get back to having fun, as this hobby should be. You sound like you have already gone over the hill with Horizon, and are not inclined to approach the engines problems from a technical standpoint, but just want the problem to go away. They don't on their own. Engines are fairly simple devises, but sometimes, for whatever reason (always a reason) some are more temperamental than others. Virtually every engine out there has has cheers and jeers.

As some have stated very well, a person should not have to take a loss on something bought new in good faith that didn't do what it was supposed to, but, if you want to fly, instead of supporting the shipping industry, and I'm thinking you do, why not move on. Lots of choices.

As for gassers in general, lets not start condemning them all. I have had many brands over the years and never had one I couldn't use. Some I like better than others for ease of operation or power output etc, but in general, they are just so simple, even I can make them work. Gas, spark, and off they go. Always found a good reason for not having either. The last problem I had, even though it appeared to be carburation, turned out to be a bad ignition box (replaced by a reputable company for free even though I am the second owner). Dealing with people is a lot like landing an airplane. The approach is very important to a smooth landing.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Seems like the feedback is kinda harsh. All you guys must be in a grumpy mood! Instead of "you out too,s" maybe a little real help may be in order. As for any of the big companies going broke...should never happen. They get this RC stuff very cheap in huge quanities and the mark up is big. [:-]
Well this person didn't really do his homework picking a rather small engine. Didn't compare HP ratings between brands and acquire the most basic knowledge that these are inflated. Then afterwards waited a year before doing anything about it to correct his mistake. Then bashed the manufacturer and when offered a solution said, wait, lets see how the dealer solves the problem first....meaning he never really gave them a chance to truely solve it yet in the first place.

I'm all for consumer rights...but we in America have got to a point where every company has to be responsible for every "stupid" thing we do even if its 3 stupid things in a row. Companies aren't going to go out of business, they are simply getting tougher on returns for all of us. I've been to stores where a guy in front of me is trying to return something he has clearly been using for 5 years...... You got back to that store and now you can only do 2 returns per year with a receipt, etc. When are we going to take some responsiblity for our own action. Crying wolf on every situation just makes the real issues easier to hide.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM
JUGFLIER

LOL Ram. My contention is, and it may be overlooked, Horizon knew they had a problem with this engine. WBefore i purchased it i called them to confirm the specs because they sounded a little high to me. I was told by tech support that the engine would make 3.8 HP. Nothing was said about a tuned pipe setup. The electronic ignition on this thing has been changed twice since i bought my engine and once before. While they knew they had a problem they were still selling these things and telling their customers that they ran as advertised. That was not the TRUTH. That is my BONE OF CONTENTION.

I spent $600 for the motor and two exhaust setups, $400. for a WH edge 73" plane. Thats a $1000.00 bucks spent based on a lie i was told. Right now i can get a 85" WH edge with a toc 53 engine for $829.00 . I think i have a right to take Horizon to task for its, let us say, less than truthful business practices.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
JUGFLIER

I have been in RC for over 30 years. I used to convert weedeater engines because we didn't have purpose built rc engines.

1. Horizon website specs say nothing about tuned pipe to get results THEY advertise.
2. Horizon tech support SAID NOTHING about tuned pipe for propor performance.
3 Was told to wait till i broke in the engine to get performance when they knew there was a problem with this engine.
4. Based on the second post in this thread and others in this gas engine sections my problems are typical.
5. Was told i would need a tuned pipe on the third call to tech support for this engine.
6. Bought tuned pipe and did'nt change a thing.
7. Tech support knew a tuned pipe would not fix my problem.
8. Evolution has changed the ignition on this engine twicew in the last year. ( as per their own website.)
9. When i bought the engine it was advertised as having a new redesigned ignition.
10. Thats 3 changes in two years.
11. Horizon has not told its customers the truth.

edited by moderator for remarks made

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.