Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Taurus 52c engine worth $679??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Tennwalker41-delete
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Taurus 52c engine worth $679??????

Seems like i have found support for what i experienced today. Money isnt the problem i just want my monies worth.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 PM
skreamer
My Feedback: (5)

Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 PM
skreamer

I actually have a DL50 on a Giant U-Can Do.

Cost $370.00 shipped and the customer service is excellent. I crashed my motor (bad transmitter module)into the asphalt runway, ordered parts, assembled, and now have 10 gallons thru it. I fly 3-D down low and this combo has insane vertical power, 1 flip starts, and never a dead stick. Throttle control is a must. Battery is 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back in the fueselage. I looked really hard at the b 60 but I did not think I could get it to balance without adding weight. I agree with previous posts that 50cc is not worth more than $400. I was so impressed with this motor that I bought a second one. I put it on a friends plane and after one flight he bought it on the spot. I don't think you need an extended warranty as I have heard of no issues with this motor that DL-USA has not taken care of immediately. DL-USA has replaced a carb for a DL50 engine that I did not purchase from them (I told Bob this) and he said no problem. My old version muffler had a leak and again Bob said to send it to him and he will repair or replace. Even though the warranty only says it will run when you get it, DL-USA has went way beyond that to take care of probs and have worked out the bugs for all the new engines.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

I talked with BoB today and he says his shipment was sold out and wouldnt alert me to when was available without giving him a credit card #. I said nah i will look somewhere else.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 PM
skreamer

Valley view rc , peak models sell them also.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

I Talked with Valleyview a few weeks ago they sounded like the guy at Taurus either order or leave us alone. ok then
Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tennwalker41

I Talked with Valleyview a few weeks ago they sounded like the guy at Taurus either order or leave us alone. ok then
When I ordered my Taurus, Bill was very friendly and didn't pressure me to buy at all. I had not made up my mind whether I would be buying a Taurus or not. He answered a few questions to my satisfaction and I told him to go ahead with the order. I called back a week or so later to see when it would ship and was informed it had been shipped.

Tennwalker41, I think what you experienced may be common when working with one man shops. Those guys get busy and maybe a bit short with callers at times. We have heard the same thing about BCMA, RCIGN, BME, etc. from time to time yet all of these small companies are known for quality products. But I guess we all look for something different from a small vendor when we choose to deal with them. So far Brillelli seems to be an exception though I have no personal experience with them.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm probably about the same way. If I had a shop it would not take long for all the calls that were mostly R/C BS to begin to aggravate and I'd realize how much time was being wasted for non-productive conversation. Any good salesman will at one point or another ask for the order and walk away if they don't get it. That's the nature of the business and it's a lot about how much time you're willing to dally before you get to the point. Time IS money when your in sales.

As for the "breaking up" problem with the Taurus, it's clearly ignition related. If it was the ground I'd lay some pretty good odds that the user failed to install the ignition ground strap properly. I've covered this before and few seem to want to do what works most effectively. Fewer want to spring for the optional Bosch cap that eliminates the need for the ground strap. So we have a carb issue (likely dirty) and an ignition ground strap issue. So where's the problem with the engine? Worse, why was the engine sent back for either issue when both could have been easily solved in about 15 to 30 minutes at home? We're blaming the manufacturer for a lack of personal understanding here and that's not right.

I'm not going to try to defend about a slow turn around, but it is a one man operation at Taurus. Like BME, Cactus Aviation, and RC Ignition. CH is only a two person operation if I recall correctly. People seem to think all these r/c companies have a staff of hundreds at beck and call to fill every customer whim.

If your buddy wants to get rid of his Taurus have him send me a pm. I'll take it in a heartbeat over any other 50-55cc engine out there. Just keep the price in line with a used engine and not a new one. Matter of fact I don't think I've seen a 58 that can match it. I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus.

Back to the original questions though, it comes down to what you can afford and what you want to spend. If you have financial issues then the cheap engines are your only real option. My thoughts are it's a bit like the difference between a small economy car and a larger one with more features. There's nothing wrong with either one, the larger one has more versatility, and you generally get what you pay for.

Contact info for Ralph Cunningham at RC Ignitions: 928-635-2455.

He got fed up with some of the stupidity here in the engine forum, along with arguements from those who knew next to nothing and dropped his membership. Said somthing about not being able to get anything through to a rock. Personally I'd like to see him back. His knowledge is vast and from personal observations he is a hard one to beat when it comes to quality in workmanship.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Tennwalker41-delete

Either way Silver Taurus wont b sellin me an engine. I Personally dont take to the Northern way of things.I buy what i want to buy. If they think i wasting their time just tell us and we wont bother them again and they can go out of business for all i care. DOesnt matter to me i dont have to get up and go to work tomorrow. That stupidity and arrogance has surfaced and i understand Ralphs position. I guess Californians r different to. I am also unsubscribing to this idiocy...Y dont u just tell the man that u want the engine for free. thanks for all that did help
Old 07-18-2007, 02:33 AM
Tired Old Man

I don't think I quite caught the full drift of your last, other than you prefer a more personal touch to a business relationship, but you're welcome for any help I was able to provide. You weren't going to buy a Taurus before you started the thread but you needed to feel better about your decision. No need for the mental massaging, it's your money and your plane and you should always be able to do what you're most comfortable with.

I'm sorry some don't or can't see the effects that extended phone conversations can have on a single person business. I've sat in an engine shop for a couple of days while they were working on 4 of my engines. During three days the phone calls that came in must have taken well over 8 hours away from my projects and extended my stay an extra day to attempt completing the jobs because of them. I was paying cash money, quite a bit of it, and the people on the phone contributed nothing. The end result was that I was only able to complete a percentage of what I had set out to do, the repair station was not able to do as much as they could have, and lost some income in the process, potentially lost a tremendous amount of business later due to a lack of completion for all the engines, and my company had to pay for another day out of town. I still have to perform some damage control at the office on that one. I should have come back with all four complete in the alotted time frame. All that due to wasted time in telephone chit chat. That's why a lot of places have answering machines or only respond via e-mail.

When I owned my own business I made it a point to keep calls as short as possible so I could conduct more business. When I sold cars for a living I'd dump a customer in a second if it became clear they were not going to buy, and move on to one that was buying. When I use my cell phone I keep the calls short in order to maximize available minutes and to reduce costs. If someone has RC questions that they want to discuss with me over the phone they get to call me on thier dime because I know from much experience the call will last for hours. It's all about money. Most businesses and employers feel the same way. Each one has to decide how much time they have to throw away when it becomes clear there's no profit or point in further conversation. If you can't manage your time you're done from the start.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 AM
Don M.

My experience with Taurus 52 has been in a nutshell not good. I have had mine for over a year and have managed 12 flights. It has been sent back to Taurus 3 times and has not been run since the last time. I got so disgusted with it I sold the plane and presently do not have one to put it in. I now have over $900.00 Cdn. into this engine.

I just bought a 45 CCR Pro off E - Bay for $200.00. Yes I know some of the problems reported on this engine but at least my aggravation has only cost me $200.00 and not $900.00

You asked for opinions and that's mine. First hand and no BS.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 AM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

still dont understand why people pay $600 or more for a 50cc size engine when there are at least a couple of very good engines in that size range for under $400 and are well supported in the US. i my opinion you are getting ripped off if you pay that much for a 50cc size motor no matter how well you think it runs or how many rpm's you get out of it on the ground. same goes for a lot of the 50cc size airplanes, way overpriced. but, if you think the overpriced engines and airplanes are somehow better, knock yourself out.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: hvac

still dont understand why people pay $600 or more for a 50cc size engine when there are at least a couple of very good engines in that size range for under $400 and are well supported in the US. i my opinion you are getting ripped off if you pay that much for a 50cc size motor no matter how well you think it runs or how many rpm's you get out of it on the ground. same goes for a lot of the 50cc size airplanes, way overpriced. but, if you think the overpriced engines and airplanes are somehow better, knock yourself out.

I think I made it quite clear in my post that I MAY have learned my lesson. I'll wait and see how this CCRC 45 I just bought works out. In any case as I said, I have paid a whole lot less for my aggravation.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

As for the "breaking up" problem with the Taurus, it's clearly ignition related. If it was the ground I'd lay some pretty good odds that the user failed to install the ignition ground strap properly. I've covered this before and few seem to want to do what works most effectively. Fewer want to spring for the optional Bosch cap that eliminates the need for the ground strap. So we have a carb issue (likely dirty) and an ignition ground strap issue. So where's the problem with the engine? Worse, why was the engine sent back for either issue when both could have been easily solved in about 15 to 30 minutes at home? We're blaming the manufacturer for a lack of personal understanding here and that's not right.

I'm not going to try to defend about a slow turn around, but it is a one man operation at Taurus. Like BME, Cactus Aviation, and RC Ignition. CH is only a two person operation if I recall correctly. People seem to think all these r/c companies have a staff of hundreds at beck and call to fill every customer whim.

If your buddy wants to get rid of his Taurus have him send me a pm. I'll take it in a heartbeat over any other 50-55cc engine out there. Just keep the price in line with a used engine and not a new one. Matter of fact I don't think I've seen a 58 that can match it. I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus.

Back to the original questions though, it comes down to what you can afford and what you want to spend. If you have financial issues then the cheap engines are your only real option. My thoughts are it's a bit like the difference between a small economy car and a larger one with more features. There's nothing wrong with either one, the larger one has more versatility, and you generally get what you pay for.

Contact info for Ralph Cunningham at RC Ignitions: 928-635-2455.

He got fed up with some of the stupidity here in the engine forum, along with arguements from those who knew next to nothing and dropped his membership. Said somthing about not being able to get anything through to a rock. Personally I'd like to see him back. His knowledge is vast and from personal observations he is a hard one to beat when it comes to quality in workmanship.
Well SS, not all have your skill. The owner of the engine idoesn't mess with engines, carbs, or EIs.. he doesn't have the knowledge. So for him it's not an option for to work on it. Do I have the skill? Sure... but I only have so much time and quite frankly EIs are not my thing. I don't know the internal workings of them.. cleaning a carb is one thing.. but trying to figure out an EI I can't do either. So it was sent back.

If the engine wasn't grounded properly what happens? You blow the haul sensor almost right away in most cases... This is clearly not the issue

I don't see why respond the way you do... almost every engine out there could avoid being sent back if everyone had the skill to fix it

I am going to assume I am lumped into your last paragraph or possibly it's directly soley at me... maybe if he didn't act like he knows everything he wouldn't get responses like he does. To tell me something is impossible when I have it on video is kind of rediculous. Personally I have sent the man business... but that does't mean I am going to tolerate his I know everything attitude.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Jake Ruddy

ps. if you tried a B 366GT then you would be using the most powerful 50 and 60 class engines out there the only difference is the 60 sized would be the same weight, be less money, have better customer service and have more power than the 50 class motor.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I think ya'll ought to just give it up..... clearly Tennwalker has eliminated nearly every distributor from his "possible" list, and doesn't seem interested in the Brillelli as an option, which is fine.

His original question has been sort of answered.... folks with good Taurus experiences think it's a good value (I'm one of those, although I didn't respond). Folks with less-good experiences think it's "not so good". And that's the way it is, so be it.

Personally - I get a little tired of folks asking for buying advice/recommendations, and then slamming or discounting every recommendation they are given. Many post on RCU to try and help, truly, without expecting much besides an occasional "thanks'. But it sure is getting LOTS easier to just not answer the questions as time goes on.....

If someone asks my opinion, and I give it, please at least grant me the courtesy of NOT telling me that MY opinion is wrong. Just sift through the info that is given, and go on your merry way....
Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: aerobob

I think ya'll ought to just give it up..... clearly Tennwalker has eliminated nearly every distributor from his "possible" list, and doesn't seem interested in the Brillelli as an option, which is fine.

His original question has been sort of answered.... folks with good Taurus experiences think it's a good value (I'm one of those, although I didn't respond). Folks with less-good experiences think it's "not so good". And that's the way it is, so be it.

Personally - I get a little tired of folks asking for buying advice/recommendations, and then slamming or discounting every recommendation they are given. Many post on RCU to try and help, truly, without expecting much besides an occasional "thanks'. But it sure is getting LOTS easier to just not answer the questions as time goes on.....

If someone asks my opinion, and I give it, please at least grant me the courtesy of NOT telling me that MY opinion is wrong. Just sift through the info that is given, and go on your merry way....
Well stated aerobob!

I made the decision to buy the Taurus after following a rather long and often times very negative Taurus thread that was on here last year. Among other reasons, I decided it fit my "old school" ways a bit more than some other engines did. I believe part of what we see on these threads is the conflict between us old "gray beards" who came into this hobby through the decades compared to those who are still relatively new to the hobby. We had to endure all the changes and sometimes less than great developments in the early days and newer people now get to enjoy the fruits of that time. I guess some of us feel the new guys are more than a bit spoiled with all the great choices of equipment available these days. But that is just the way life goes, isn't it?

As for Brillelli, I certainly would consider them and will probably have one of these engines in the near future.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Jake Ruddy

Sometimes those comments are not always meant to be negative.... forums are great but often hard to understand the thought process behind the post. Personally sometimes I am more just playing or giving someone a hard time in a joking way and its read wrong... I try to include smiles most times.. but is that a sly smile or a I am just playing smile... another often misunderstood forum issue hahha
Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Tired Old Man

I can understand the lack of skill or experience thing. One of the better points of forums like these is that they help those that want to develop those skills. With an EI, it's generally better to send that back to the manufacturer It's faster and cheaper than sending everything back to the manufacturer, who will remove the ignition and send it back to it's manufacturer.

Hall sensors are actually pretty easy on a lot of engines. They cost less than a buck depending on where you pick them up. Simply lift the cover plate that holds one in place on a hub and set the new one in place. You only have to pay attention to the orientation of the sensor. Re-install the cover and your done. Saves a lot of down time from shipping and manufacturer schedules to be able to do it yourself. One of the bad things about customer returns is that you usually get to go out of pocket for shipping. On an insured engine that's not all that cheap. I keep a few on hand since I have a few engines that may sometime need one.

My issue is that so many "engines" get a bad rap for something that's an accessory and not truly part of the engine. I don't care who the engine maker is, they can't control the manufacture of the carb or the ignition, yet they get blamed when those items go south.

Aerobob,

I think you're right on. I'll take the advice thing a step further. How would you feel if two low budget engine distributors came to you for marketing , tuning, and oil advice in order to write their manuals to better serve their customers and neither one even said thanks or gave any credit for your help? So if I don't seem all that partial to some of the cheaper engines you know why.

OTH, another made the same inquiries and did say thanks.

As for the less expensive engines, I have a 3mm-53 here that I'll be performance testing beginning this weekend. They (any of the low budget brands) have their place for sure.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Don M.

My experience with Taurus 52 has been in a nutshell not good. I have had mine for over a year and have managed 12 flights. It has been sent back to Taurus 3 times and has not been run since the last time. I got so disgusted with it I sold the plane and presently do not have one to put it in. I now have over $900.00 Cdn. into this engine.

Sell it to Silversurfer.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: ljones5000

ORIGINAL: Don M.

Sell it to Silversurfer.
That could be arranged Sell being the key word and not GIVE.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 PM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

silversurfer, did you buy, pay for or acquire with money the 3MM motor? just curious
Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Truckracer

I would be interested in a good used, never crashed, current version TS-52. PM if interested.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Turbo_jet

I have so much money that there are ten for me.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I would be interested in a good used, never crashed, current version TS-52. PM if interested.

I PM'd you ............... Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.