Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

50cc; good engines and better engines?!?!?!?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

50cc; good engines and better engines?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
rc-plane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc; good engines and better engines?!?!?!?

I might be looking into gassers later on but I thought I should ask this question to see whay people thought.

I was just looking at the different 50cc type gas engines and was wondering what was the best. This question is probably been ask many of times but I was really wondering the differences between the evolution 58gx2, DA 50, and the Brillelli 50gt. I know the deal with DA, they have great service and everthing but I did want to know more about the others. I have heard some good things about the evolutions, mainly the 26. I have not seen much about brillelli's. That probably means that I have not been looking hard enough. I did see the brillelli is about $100 cheaper with muffler and EI included. I am only a teenager so cheeper can be good because I dont have a lot of money but if I was to get a pretty expensive airplane ( this is just an example) like a Aero-works or wild hare extra then I dont want a sucky engine; if you know what I mean.

If there is any other suggestions or any input on what I have said then please reply back!

Thanks

rc-plane
Old 08-09-2007, 03:11 PM
plasticman
My Feedback: (97)

Default RE: 50cc; good engines and better engines?!?!?!?

rc-plane,

Let me be right up front with you on this. I have reached a point in my life where I can afford any motor I want but I would buy a Brillelli first. I have one in my most treasured 50cc plane and I have never once worried about a deadstick. I could go on and on. As a money strapped teenager you cannot afford the high-end nor can you afford the repair should you put the plane in. So, keep your cost low and buy a Brillelli. You won't be dissappointed.

P-man.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Ialwayscrash
My Feedback: (106)

Buy a DL-50 from dlusa.net for 370.00 shipped with muffler and ignition. I have 2 DA's and I am going to sell them and buy DLs to replace them and pocket the difference. I love the one DL I have that much.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
rc-plane

How is the fuel consumption with the brillelli? How easy is it to start and maintain? You can ad anthing else too.

I could save up for the DA or whatever but the brillelli is cheaper. But the thing is we dont know anything about gassers so anything is fair game!!. I want to go into gas but it will probaly be a while before I do but it never hurts to ask question.

I am not set on the brillelli (it just sounding good right now) so please if you have any opinions about the other engines or have anything else to say please do.

rc-plane
Old 08-09-2007, 03:44 PM
rc-plane

The DL is also looking good. There were alot of good reviews. Its CHEAP, it only cost a little more that my YS 1.10, Its a lot more powerfull and it comes with everything!!

What about the fuel consumption (sp?) That is a big thing with me, I have had some glow engines that suck the fuel like crazy and some dont. The good thing is if a gasser sucks gas its only sucking $2 a gallon.

Also what is the weight diff between all these. Yes I can look it up (even though I didnt see it on the DL site) but all the sites are different, some with muffler, some with standoffs only, ect.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

50cc engines in aerobatic planes burn around 1 oz/min of gas.

[link=http://www.rcaerobats.net/GAS_ENGINE_INFO/GAS_ENGINE_WTS.htm]THIS WEBPAGE[/link] will give you the RTF weight info you want.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

I have 2 DA 50's, 3W 55i and a brillelli 60.

DA50....when I broke a lug DA replaced it for no charge....excellant customer service.
3Wi......very tuchy engine to tune but once its setup its a brute.....on heavy side.
Brillelli....excellant customer service. great transition from low to high and easy tuning.

Brillelli is my new favorite engine.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rc-plane,

I'm a big Brillelli fan myself and have owned three of them. What I want to know is where are you getting gas for $2 a gal ???
Old 08-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Had 2 DA 50's....replaced both of them with the Brillelli 60...best move I made...
Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 PM
rc-plane

more like $2.79 +/- depending what days. $2 sounds better.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 PM
rc-plane

So I think its really between brillelli and DL. DL is cheaper (around $100) and has plenty of fans if you look at the DL thread. Brillelli is cheaper than DA but not as cheap as DL. But also seems to be a good motor and has good customer service.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 AM
yakman

I was going to get a brillelli, but the price of the DL is just too good. I have seen the dl-50 and a da-50 side by side, I would not even consider a da-50.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Weight, price, power, value.... only TWO out there, IMHO....Brillelli and DL
One side intake.
One rear.

Brillelli is single bolt hub.
DL is four-bolt.

Brillelli crankcase "rail mounts" to included alum. rails.
DL mounts to aluminum extrusions included.

Brillelli carb adjustments from bottom.
DL from side.

Brillelli throttle/choke arms - easily adapted to engine-box mounted servos.
DL carb needs centerline, in-fuse (or engine box) throttle. Choke lever a little tricky to servo operate.

Brillelli muffler options are good - jug is same as BME 50.
DL muffler options like DA 50 - not too bad.

Performance of each very similar.
Both are easy to start, easy to adjust, reliable and consistent to operate.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:58 AM
ExtraMkto
My Feedback: (12)

I have the 46cc and 50cc Brillelli's. Just started the 50cc this week. After priming the engine started on the first flip. Same for the second start. My only complaint is that shipping is very slow. He says 2-3 weeks. My first engine was 5-weeks to the day and my second was 4-1/2 weeks before I received them.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Availability can really influence a decision, no doubt.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Having had 2 46s a 26 and a 60.. I am a big fan of Brillelli... can't really say much about the 50 since I haven't played with one. Customer service is top notch and hard to beat.

As to the shipping... Scott and Mark spend all of their time building just to try and keep up. SCott is pulling longer days than any of us would dream of trying to keep up with demand. Sure you are going to wait. But it's worth the wait
Old 08-10-2007, 08:27 AM
rc-plane

First it seems like DL was best but now it seems that brillelli is more popular. It does seem tha DA and evolution is out of the picture.

Now remember this will be my first gasser and be my most expensive plane,(So Far) so I need somthing that will be easy to use from a beginner view point. I have plenty of people out at my field that could help tune it out and everything but well you know what I mean.

Keep then opinions comming!

rc-plane
Old 08-10-2007, 08:45 AM
rc-plane

areobob did a good job comparing the DL and Brillelli.

I dont know if this matters but when I do decide to step into gassers my first 50ccer will probably be a AW Extra 260, AW Yak, or a WH extra.

Can some one tell me the advantages and disadvantages to each comparison?

thanks

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Weight, price, power, value.... only TWO out there, IMHO....Brillelli and DL
One side intake.
One rear.

Brillelli is single bolt hub.
DL is four-bolt.

Brillelli crankcase "rail mounts" to included alum. rails.
DL mounts to aluminum extrusions included.

Brillelli carb adjustments from bottom.
DL from side.

Brillelli throttle/choke arms - easily adapted to engine-box mounted servos.
DL carb needs centerline, in-fuse (or engine box) throttle. Choke lever a little tricky to servo operate.

Brillelli muffler options are good - jug is same as BME 50.
DL muffler options like DA 50 - not too bad.

Performance of each very similar.
Both are easy to start, easy to adjust, reliable and consistent to operate.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
kwilliby
My Feedback: (13)

I would also consider the TOC Xtreme (SD Models) Extra 260. I bought a 30% from Troybuiltmodels. The plane was $499 plus $89 shipping. This has been the most complete ARF I've ever purchased. Airlerons and elevator already hinged, canopy installed, motor box already assembled to the fuse....very complete setup. It also included a spinner, fuel tank, wheels, tail wheel assembly and control horns. I used most of the included stuff and it was pretty good. The quality of the plane is excellent.

I'm sure the other planes you mentioned are great as well. Just wanted to add another for your selection.

I'm flying mine with a Brillelli 60 and it is awesome!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:57 AM
rc-plane

Whats the website? always open to new ideas
Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 AM
rc-plane

So the 30% will work with a 50cc. I thought only like 28% would be for 50cc. It does look good.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:48 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

It is more useful to think of the weight of the plane instead of percentage of scale. Taking two extreme cases, a Giles 202 is a relatively small planes in full scale, and a Yak 54 is enormous by comparison. A 35% Giles (92" ws, 84" fuse) is roughly the same "size" as a 30% Yak 54 (96" ws, 81" fuse).

That said, a 50cc engine will work in most any plane between 13# and 17# for "unlimited performance", and some of the engines can handle 19-21# planes in a more "scale aerobatic" fashion. A large scale aerobat like a Decathlon or Super Cub could take a 50cc engine while weighing 25# or more.

Some manufacturers also generalize a "percentage size" too, and this has become a standard to some extent. Roughly, 28% - 30% is considered 50cc-size, 33% is 80cc-size, and 35% is 100cc-size.

Any of the planes listed as "50cc" will work. This is a strong market now so there are many options.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:17 AM
kwilliby

ORIGINAL: rc-plane

Whats the website? always open to new ideas
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com

Give them a call, they are very nice to talk to. I think Bill handles most of the sales questions.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 AM
rc-plane

I went to tmb and extreme toc stuff looks REALLY good. I like how they have more than one color scheme that gives them some bonus points to. Its not to bad in price either. I am just hoping 30% plane will fit in my dads truck. It should. I also like the yak tooooooo. Still havent decided which engine or plane for that mater. For you that have that plane or have flown it does it fly slow I like slow flying airplanes?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:18 PM
kwilliby

I have the 30% Extra 260. I fly mostly sport/IMAC type flying..no 3D. The plane goes exactly where you point it. It will slow down to a crawl for landing. I think it's an excellent all around plane. I know others who fly it 3D and like it as well. I think it will be very hard to find a better plane for the money. Just my opinion of course. There a lots of 50cc planes out there. Just hard to find one with this good of build quality at the same price. This plane fits in my Honda Pilot SUV. The 30% planes are about the limit for me. 33% and larger would probably force me to buy a trailer.

There are lots of engines to choose from as you have seen. I used to own a DA50. Very strong engine and great support. I wasn't real happy with the low end burble etc. But it performed very well.

I currently have a Brillelli 60. A little more power than the DA50, smoother running on lowe end and excellent support from Brillelli.

Those are the only two engines I've owned. Either would fly this plane easily.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.