Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Q50 Prop Info to contimplate and comment on

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Q50 Prop Info to contimplate and comment on

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q50 Prop Info to contimplate and comment on

Keep in mind this discussion is about a 1/4 scale Fokker D.VII that weighs about 14.5 pounds, I think, and is equipped with a Quadra50. the plane has zero vertical performance and I have been trying to improve things a little. I have been using standard grade fuel mixed 50:1 with MC-1. It is hot (around 100). The engine also has a scale exhaust pipe that is about 7 inches long and 1/2" in diameter.

I got my digital fish scale out to do some pull tests. didn't learn much.

Vess 22A about 12 pounds of pull
Menz 20x8 about 12 pounds of pull
Menz 20x10 around 12-12.5 pounds of pull. (the best reading)

Unfortunitely it was late and I couldn't get any rpm readings. but it didn't sound to me like this plane was turning that many rpms with any of the three props. No matter what I did to the HS needle between 1.0 and 1.5 turns out. got best reading so far at about 1.5 turns.

I don't think there is much more to get out of this bird. But I have a few questions. Would going to high test gas help at all; and second, does that long pipe restrict the power. Would it possibly help to drill some bleed holes in the side of that long pipe. Finally, do those needle settings seem about right. thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:12 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Q50 Prop Info to contimplate and comment on

Splais,
A 20x8 seems like a little small for a 50cc. The needle settlings sound like a good starting point. The thrust is low and should be closer to twenty pounds.

Dave