Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brillelli 40GT Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 AM
cougar347

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brillelli 40GT Question

I actually read the instructions. Under the heading "Safety Tips and Warnings" it says to "use only low octane, alcohol-free gasoline".

However, on the main Brillelli instruction page, it says "Fuel Oil Mix-Premium Gasoline mixed at 32:1 or 40:1"

So what's everyone using, low 87 octane, or higher such as 89 or 93 octane?

Does anyone know if this is a low or high compression motor?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Brillelli 40GT Question

You will be fine with regular gas on that motor.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 PM
cap_sized
My Feedback: (22)

I purchased a Brillelli 40GT from Scott about a year ago and run it on a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick (old version). The engine was broke-in using two gallons of 32:1 Pennzoil 2-cycle then I switched to Amsoil Saber synthetic mixed at 50:1. I use nothing but non-oxygenated 92 octane premium gasoline and have been pleased with the power, throttle response and performance of this engine. The plane weighs 14 lbs. and I'm able to hover at 2/3 throttle using a 19X8 Evolution prop. Maximum full throttle RPM is 7600 on the ground. I still getting a minimal amount black goo on the plane but far less of it after leaning the carb and switching to the synthetic oil. I don't know what the compression ratio is on the 40GT, but I use non-oxy premium gas because 1) the fuel stays fresher much longer, 2) there is less moisture contamination, and 3) less carburetor gum-up (varnish). This fuel can be hard to find but check with your local classic car club - they'll know which gas stations carry it.

Just my two cents,

Capped
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17213.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	757320  
Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
gwulle

Cap-sized;
I am glad to see your post. I have a Brillelli 40cc that I just mounted on a Hanger 9 Extra 260 that weighs 13lbs 14 oz. I emailed Scott tonight asking him if a Mejzlik 19-8, I have, would work ok on the 40cc. From what I read on your post,I think I am going to have a winner.

Gaines
Old 09-06-2007, 07:06 AM
cougar347

Cap_Sized

I'm glad you mentioned the "black goo". What the heck is that stuff? I wouldn't call mine "goo", it's more like a bunch of little black dots all over the bottom of my airplane. I figured it was just residue from the motor breaking in, at least that's what I hope it is. I have a friend with a new DA 50 and he has a little bit of it, but I've got a lot more. I hope nothing's wrong with my motor. Oh, by the way, I found out that "Simple Green" is great for removing that black stuff and it doesn't hurt the covering at all.

I'm assuming by leaning the carb, you meant the high speed needle. How much did you actually lean it?

Mine is mounted in my EF 74" Yak. The power is insane, and the motor runs great. I'm using a 20 X 8 Xoar prop on it. I only have 8 flights total on the airplane, so I really don't have the motor broken in yet. I learned the hard way that you have to Loc Tite everything, my cowl screws loosened up and I almost lost my cowl on the last flight. Something sounded funny so I landed and discovered the problem before it bit me.

I'll have to check around for the gas that you mentioned.

Vince

Name:	Ay74117.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	757497  
Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

The black dots are from the engine breaking in.

As you lean the needles (both low and high) and a couple gallons it will go away.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:37 PM
cap_sized

gwulle,

I'm assuming that you're plane is the Hangar 9 27% scale Extra 260 ARF. I checked the link below and it looks like a beautiful plane. Please post a picture of your Brillelli 40GT installation and give us a flight report. The efficiency of the Mezjlik should be very close or better than the Evolution 19 X 8 prop I run.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN2750

Thanks,

Capped
Old 09-06-2007, 08:21 PM
cap_sized

cougar347,

Thanks for the Simple Green tip - I'll give it a try. I've been using 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the black goo. It does a great job but it's expensive and hard to get. McMaster-Carr will sell it in the quart size ($14.80 P/n 3190K811) or smaller (pint).

Here's the carb adjustment procedure I use on my 40cc Brillelli:

I adjust gasoline engines pretty much the same as glow engines. The high speed screw is identified by an “H†on the carb, low speed by an “Lâ€. Turning either screw clockwise leans or reduces the amount of gas, counterclockwise richens. Adjust the high speed only when engine is running at full throttle turning needle in or out for maximum RPM. Adjust low speed at idle (around 2000 RPM) to achieve a smooth transition from idle to full throttle. Lean out low speed screw until transition starts to degrade (hesitate), then back out (counterclockwise) just until it returns – then leave it there. Each screw adjustment affects the other so repeat this process a few times to optimize the carb settings. If you get into trouble, carefully turn each screw in until you “lightly†feel bottom then back out 1-1/2 to 2 turns and start over. No final adjustments should be made until the engine is warmed up and the choke is off. As conditions change (temperature/humidity/air pressure) occasional adjustment may be needed, although I haven't changed mine since last spring.

On all of my gas engines, I have noticed that engine speed doesn't seem to change much within the top half of the tx stick movement. To deal with non-linear throttle response I add expo (exponential) to the throttle channel which produces more resolution on the transmitter stick as it's moved towards the top end.

I'm glad to hear the this engine adequately powers the EF 74" YAK. How much RPM do you get with the 20 X 8 Xoar? How much throttle is required to hover? At one point, Scott was offering your engine/plane combination. He now supplies the 46cc with this plane only because he doesn't produce the 40GT anymore.

Try the non-oxy fuel. I think you'll like it.

Capped
Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 PM
gwulle

Cap Sized;
You are correct on the plane. Here are some pic's. I plan on putting it in the air Saturday morning.

Gaines

Name:	Hf99512.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	757935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39825.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	757936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20716.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	757937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25871.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	757938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88277.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	757939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du21642.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	757940  
Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: gwulle

Cap Sized;
You are correct on the plane. Here are some pic's. I plan on putting it in the air Saturday morning.

Gaines
Be sure to protect your spark plug lead from the muffler and cowl edge.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 PM
cap_sized

Gwulle,

Thanks for posting the pictures . . . great looking set-up! I'm very interested to hear how the Brillelli 40GT flies this plane since I might be inclined to build one myself.

If your engine is brand new, don't expect a whole lot of power until it breaks in. I was worried the first few times I flew my Ultra Stick with the new engine. The plane felt like it needed full throttle most of the time. But once I'd run a couple gallons of fuel thru it and tuned the carburetor, it came on much stronger and gained power with each additional flight. So far, I've run a total of 5 or 6 gallons and it's turned into a real brute.

Also, I had trouble with the stock muffler coming loose after almost every flight. I finally solved this problem by 1) milling the mating surface of the muffler flat (mine was warped), 2) clean everything up using isopropyl alcohol, 3) apply a light coating of Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV silicone automotive gasket maker to both sides of the muffler gasket and each mating surface, 4) add one heavy #10 or M5 flat washer to each mounting bolt, 5) apply a couple of drops of Permatex High Temperature Threadlocker (Red) to each mounting screw, 6) reassemble and tighten the mounting screws, and finally 7) let dry overnight before running the engine.

Since I've done this, my muffler hasn't vibrated loose and has maintained a great seal with no leaks. The flat washers help keep the screw heads from deforming the muffler as you tighten them down. You may not have a problem since you're using a pitts wrap around muffler.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Capped
Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 PM
gwulle

Truckracer;
Thanks for the heads up. You cannot tell from the pic's but I have coated the wire with Permatex High Temp silicon for that very reason.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 PM
gwulle

Capped;
I had this motor in another plane,but still haven't run more than a gallon of fuel through it,so you could say it's new. I am running 32:1 Lawn Boy Ashless for now and will switch over to Amsoil at 50:1 also.I am going to put her in the air in the morning and I will give you a report tommorrow night.

Gaines
Old 09-08-2007, 02:01 PM
gwulle

Cap Sized:
I flew the Extra this morning and it flew like a dream. Plenty of power,it went straight up as far as I wanted to fly it. I made three flights, getting the trim where I wanted it,and flew most of the time a 1/2 throttle. This is the perfect engine for this plane and IMAC style flying,as I am not into 3D flying. As you know, I am using a Mezlick 19/8 prop and it tached 7050 rpms at a slightly rich setting. I am well please with this combo. I am going to shift some batteries around this afternoon to move the cg aft a little. Too much drop when I fly it inverted.

Gaines
Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
cap_sized

gwulle,

Thanks much for the report on your maiden flight. Glad to hear that it went so well. As mentioned before, I need to consider this H9 Extra / Brillelli 40GT combo since I'd like to construct something more aerobatic over the winter. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't pick-up another 500+ RPMs after your engine is fully broken-in.

Have fun,

Capped
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
gwulle