Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Nuther Gas Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 PM
pappy35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuther Gas Newbie Question

I have a B46. I did a fuel test today meaning I made sure the tank filled and emptied without leaking (see my other post regarding and unexpected problem ). Since the GP Yak's fuselage I'm powering is largely EP foam I thought it would be prudent to check for leaks. [8D]

While I was at it and the tank was full was full, I propped it a dozen or so times with the choke closed (yes I made sure the ingition was off) and didn't see any fuel in the feed line. Brillelli solders a fitting onto the carb where the static port is. I presume I'm identifying this correctly? Anyone have a diagram or picture of how the fuel lines should hooked up? Is there something I'm missing?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Nuther Gas Newbie Question

I pretty new to gas also, b ut what I've found on all the gas engines I've played with is:

With the ignition off if you turn the prop by had you'll find a spot where if you rock the prop back and forth 60* the carb will pull the fuel to the carb very quickly, (I think it's at about BDC). I do that with the choke on and the throttle 1/2 open, when I see gas get to the carb I turn the ignition on and it coughs to life pretty quickly.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Did you have the choke closed and the throttle fully open?

The sodered piece is for atmospheric preasure.. you connect a line to it and run that into the fuse.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
pappy35

Choke was closed and throttle at idle. I have a static-pressure line hooked-up there and run back into the fuse. I figured that's what it was but it never hurts to ask. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

nps... open that throttle an providing you dont have any air leaks in your lines I would bet you will start to see fuel.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I always choke with throttle wide open and choke closed.

I choke with my ignition on. Just flip until it pops once. It won't start. It will usually grumble or run for about 1/2 second.

Now choke off and throttle to high idle. Flip Flip ---- putter putter putter.

And of course, I NEVER start a plane unless a good buddy is holding it or I have tied it down securely.