Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New SV Gassers

Old 01-16-2008, 08:28 AM
skiman762

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New SV Gassers

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

I made a little degree wheel tonight and checked my timing. It was too far advanced bigtime ! I had to elongate the slots in the sensor to make it go retard far enough to get to 30 degree's before TDC. Now, the screw on the left is right next to the sensor housing. Here's a pic showing my sensor position after setting the timing.
What did you use for s piston stop to ensure the degree wheel was zeroed properly?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 AM
bako

are here results with more returded timing? what I can say, that when I have retarded it from facktory settings as far as I could, I got about 0.5kg more thrust and better ideling, and high rpm ignition misses ahve been dissapeared. but it misses sometimes even now when it's not worm enough
Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I verified that one of the reference lines on the hub was in fact TDC when lined up with the notch in the case, then I set my degree wheel so that TDC was at 12 o clock.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
freeonthree

Misses or 4 cycles ?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
bako

misses at wot. adn i noticed, that when I retarded ignition, it needs leaner high speed needle settings to prevent missses. what about youres, what are your needle settings? my are 1.1/2

for sure it's 4 cyclening when ideling [8D]
Old 01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
freeonthree

Yep, mine would randomly miss (da da dada da da dada da da dada), but the full throttle miss went away after I retarded the timing the first time. I was never able to get the miss out of the midrange, but there would always be a sweet spot at about 1/2 throttle where it would be mint. Either it needed to be more retard, or the ign box is having an issue, but then how would we explain the sweet spot, and it would not miss as long as I held that throttle setting. It's real windy here now, so I havn't fired it up yet since the repairs and 18x6.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 PM
freeonthree

I dont remember, but I think when we pulled the timing back the first time, we just flew it again and it was much better.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
ca$hey

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Im not believing that at all. I bet the piston to cylinder fit is just as accurate. Walbro carbs are fine, and bearings are bearings. I suppose it's possible that the cranks may be balanced better in the more expensive engines, but who knows. What else is there besides more detailed outside finishing, good for nothing really, and more expensive advertising which drives up the costs as well. The electronics may be better, but I hear that one of the big brand name cdi boxes had an overheating problem at one time, and mine has never even gotten warm when I checked it, so the real test will be how long it lasts. Weedeater specs ? Our last el cheapo $99.00 weedeater lasted about 10 years, and still ran when I snaged the choke for my plane the other day, so the clearances couldn't have been too sloppy. My SV 26 doesnt sound that much different than my bud's Brison 50 when it's running smooth, just smaller, and I have a feeling today, at least I hope, it will be running top notch. I seriously doubt that the engine itself has any issues. Looks like fine quality to me for a little gas engine.
Have you compared your 3w or your DA to the sv or any other cheper line motors?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 PM
freeonthree

Im a Saito guy origionally, this is my first gas engine, but I have been a mechanic my entire life, and I feel this engine is sweet. Greg and I just tested my engine with the new fuel lines, and ignition timing and 18x6 prop. It vibrated badly so we put the 16x8 and spinner back on. Flipped her once more and she started instantly. After a breif warmup, it transitioned beautifully, but had to fatten the top about 1/2 turn or so. Not one gurgle came out of this engine since, and it's spinning that 16x8 at 8200 rpm. The origional Jenn Feng spark plug is back in it now because the Autolite crossover from the NGK BPMR-6-F glitched the plane badly. Thats not to say he crossed the plug number correctly, I doubt it mostly. Overall, right now, my SV 26 is running like a swiss watch, and does not misfire at all anymore. Oh, we can't forget that I also switched to QuickSilver Full Synthetic @ 100:1. Gregs Brison 50 had been running on it for years. With the Pennsoil Outdoor 2 Stroke @ 32:1, I had black sludge all over the belly, and when I put my hand behind the exhaust, it would get real oiley, but now, the only thing that came out onto my hand was a few tiny carbon specs, and that quit shortly. There is zero moisture or smoke that I can feel or see coming out of my exhaust now, and I love it ! Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! This SV 26 runs every bit as nice and smooth now as Gregs Brison 50, it just makes a little less noise.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM
freeonthree

Greg and I just got the deal of the century ! He called me up and said he just bought a gallon of the QuickSilver Full Synthetic for $15.00 at Walmart. I paid $12.74 for a quart of it last night ! at walmart ! Needless to say, I got there fast and got me a gallon for $16.09 out the door ! At 100:1, thats 84 gallons of fuel mix at 19 cents a gallon for the oil ! I think we died and went to heaven...
Old 01-16-2008, 08:57 PM
ca$hey

Well I havent changed the plug,,,or the carb,,or anything eles except the timeing,,spinning 18x8 @ around 7200rpm ,,no miss or splutter good spool up real good on a 10lb 3D plane
Old 01-17-2008, 03:22 AM
freeonthree

Then I better try to figure out why my 18x6 made it vibrate so I can try it. That sounds very hopeful. I figured it would pull it ok. I hope it a good fly day tomorrow. My 26 is running perfect now.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I have an APC 18x6w on mine and the SV-26 spins it at 7400RPM. I would check your prop and make sure it is balanced correctly. A prop that is not balanced with vibrate badly. I am almost finished with my Stinson and I can wait to going flying. The plane weigh's 12.5 lbs. I is very cold here now and I don't like flying in cold weather so it my be a while before she goes up. I'll post a pic when I have finished the build.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 PM
freeonthree

I feel your pain. Were in or windy season here, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. It figures, as soon as the plane is running awesome, the darn wind makes an appearance. [>:]
Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
NM2K

I just backordered an SV50. The 26 looks so good, I decided to give their 50 a try.

It was all I could do not to order the SV50 TWIN and 100 TWIN as well.

Ed Cregger

Dagnabbit! Forgot to say TWIN the first time. Gettin' old stinks, but it's not as stinky as the alternative. <G>
Old 01-17-2008, 06:27 PM
freeonthree

Oh boy ! You lucky dog ! I don't see me stopping here either really. hehe
I decided to stick with the 16x8, and thats because I found these Zenoah 26 specs on prop size (Benchmark Prop: APC 16x8 @ 8,700 - 8.900 rpm). Good enough for me, for now anyway, im doin 8200. Close enough... The Zenoah has a velocity stack and probably a slightly larger carb, so im not offended.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 AM
freeonthree

Greg and I took the Stearman out to see how it would do in the air now, and it was super windy. The engine didnt require any further tuning, but it did need to warm up before it would get up some real speed up there. I'd say that 1 minute running on the ground, and another minute in the air, and she was awesome from there. Not on gurgle or sputter like before. I attribute that to the timing. It does do the 4 cycle thing when ya pull the throttle back, but so do most of the gasseres I see flyin. The main thing is, now it doesnt keep misfiring randomly anymore. Runs as good as Gregs Brison 50 now, just has less beans in the pot.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:56 AM
bako

ok people. I see we got really good engines with awsome price
Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 AM
freeonthree

I agree... For putting up with a few little issues, like having to make a choke, and enlongate the hall sensor slots to correct the timing, we got quality engines that should last for many years. According to the HC site, there going to have parts and accessories for em soon too.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
bako

in my application I can get carburator with finger. of course choke should be much better and comfortable for me, but only 1 choking is requared per flight day as I see.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
freeonthree

Ahhh... you have 10 chokes.
In warmer weather that may be the case, but at about 50 degree's or so, mine cools off pretty quickly. After maybe 10 minutes or so, the choke is required again on mine.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:21 PM
jstanton

Talking about a choke for the SV-26 does anyone know if you cover the exhaust pipe on the muffler than spin over the engine wheel that ack like a choke? I know this works on my golw engines. It is in the 30's & 40's here in Memphis this week so I wheel need a choke of some kid to make the starting a little easier.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 PM
freeonthree

On glow engines yes, but not on a gas engine. The glow engines have an exhaust pressure hose, so when ya cap the muffler, it forces fuel to the carb. Not so on these gas engines that have a fuel pump though.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
freeonthree

Here's how my SV 26 is running now. Most of the time, the plane is too far away to see well, but you can sure hear how close it is to perfect tune. I find it amusing that the ign timing was so far off from the factory. Also, the 6 volt, 2000ma NiMH ign battery sure did the trick. I flew quite a bit tonight, and was only down to 90%.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcyO6j6yikA
Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 AM
jstanton

Very nice. Sounds like it is perfect to me. I have retarded mine as far as it will go. If it still misses any I will do what you did and retard it a little father.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.