DL-50 engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:05 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DL-50 engine

Folks,
I have a new unused stock muffler that has a new home. Thanks!

Dave
Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
heligaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any one tell me if you have drilled a hole for pressure on a DL 50.
I want to put a smoke system that needs crank pressure for the pump and wanted to see where to drill.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 PM
mstam1971
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: heligaz

Can any one tell me if you have drilled a hole for pressure on a DL 50.
I want to put a smoke system that needs crank pressure for the pump and wanted to see where to drill.
I don't have experience with smoke systems, but if the smoke pump needs crankcase pressure, why not add a t-joint to the pressure line from the crankcase to the carb? If things don't work out as desired, you won't end up with a second hole in the crankcase. And in case the smoke pump needs positive pressure only, I would recommend using a valve to keep the negative pressure to the carb unaffected.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23417.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1033936  
Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
heligaz

Thanks for the reply, the only concern we had putting a T in the blue pipe is if it affects the pressure to the carb and then having a dead stick.

I thought there might be a way of drilling. If you look a the motor you can see at the bottom of the crank 2 small raised metal round peices. I thought of drilling that and tapping for the smoke nipple.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 PM
GAS4ever

But i think if you tap another hole it affects same way as a T in the blue tubing
Old 09-15-2008, 02:13 PM
mstam1971

ORIGINAL: sniperpilot

But i think if you tap another hole it affects same way as a T in the blue tubing
correct

better to use a pump
http://www.soldcentralfl.com/flyingpenguin/smoke.htm
Old 09-15-2008, 02:46 PM
69 roadrunner

I have a DL50 on a great planes ultimate 160 have about 2 gallons of fuel ran through it Iam running a xoer 23+8 prop concern is Iam only getting about 6250 to 6300 rpm Iam at 3400 feet above sea leaval should I be abel to get better or do I need to break in more I have no stumble from low to high and motor rus great any helt. Thanks steve
Old 09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Bosco2
My Feedback: (42)

Are you getting a lot of oil out of the muffler does it build up on the ground, If so you have the engine low and high to rich, My DL is getting 7250/7500 with a Vess 23/B, Move them in 1/8 of a turne, There is many carb tuning treds in this forum,
Old 09-15-2008, 05:33 PM
salerno

use a pump for the smoke! heaps easier. the main thing being that you have full control over how much oil pumps and at what throttle settings! check these vids and you will see what i mean. i have no oil on my plane after these flights! i can get it smokier, but then it leaves oil on my plane! plus i can switch smoke on and off as i fly. sorry not trying to pick on ya, just think with todays technology why go with a crank pump?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BFkSfKWurw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7NmrwnMGGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-0B9xADdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOubc1CEg6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8fOdU27dA
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: 69 roadrunner

I have a DL50 on a great planes ultimate 160 have about 2 gallons of fuel ran through it Iam running a xoer 23+8 prop concern is Iam only getting about 6250 to 6300 rpm Iam at 3400 feet above sea leaval should I be abel to get better or do I need to break in more I have no stumble from low to high and motor rus great any helt. Thanks steve
It's my belief that you are trying to turn too big a prop for break in get a 22X8xoar or NX or a 22B Vess, then tune the engine in after you have about 6 gallons thru her then you may want to start loading the engine down but the props listed are very good.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM
dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: sportflyer-RCU

I have a situation where I would like to move the exhaust port to the opposite side. Can this be done? Would it work if I just rotate the cylinder, the cylinder head and the piston ? Would the ports line up ? Tks
I double checked with DL, and yes you can do.

Have to rotate piston 180 & cylinder head 180.

Cheers

DLENGINESAU
Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Great Smoker Salerno, cant wait to get my Dietrich Extra 260 with my DL50 going. Got any flying set up idea's or anything I need to know bfore I maiden my plane??
NEDYOB
Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Super08

ORIGINAL: dlenginesaustralia

I have a situation where I would like to move the exhaust port to the opposite side. Can this be done? Would it work if I just rotate the cylinder, the cylinder head and the piston ? Would the ports line up ? Tks

Cheers

DLENGINESAU
That is good information to know, it was good of you to take the time to follow up and find out.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:33 AM
salerno

You will love the dietrich plane! WARNING>>>> change the stock wheel axles for dubro or some other good brand! the stock ones WILL fail! check out the deitrich forum, it is the only problem with these planes. people have had there wheels come off after take off which makes a very hairy landing experience! mine broke while tightening the wheel axle so i changed them before i flew! thanks for that! the shaft that the wheel goes on pulls out of the threaded section that bolts to undercarrige. dont take the risk, trust me! i think it has happened to everyone that has had a deitrich!

The DL-50 ripps this plane through the sky!!!! it's a blast! i'm right on 7 kilo's with smoke!

Have fun bro!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:07 AM

ORIGINAL: salerno

use a pump for the smoke! heaps easier. the main thing being that you have full control over how much oil pumps and at what throttle settings! check these vids and you will see what i mean. i have no oil on my plane after these flights! i can get it smokier, but then it leaves oil on my plane! plus i can switch smoke on and off as i fly. sorry not trying to pick on ya, just think with todays technology why go with a crank pump?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BFkSfKWurw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7NmrwnMGGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-0B9xADdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOubc1CEg6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8fOdU27dA

What pump and smoke oil??
Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 AM
dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: Super08

ORIGINAL: dlenginesaustralia

Cheers

DLENGINESAU
That is good information to know, it was good of you to take the time to follow up and find out.

Not a problem, and I learnt something too
Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Super08

My third DL-50 arrived in the mail today. The quality of these engines really seems to be getting better with each one I buy. The casting, compression, and overall look and feel of this last engine is just superb. I was going to save this for my Spacewalker when I get it built, but I am going to put it on my GP Extra 330 instead. My number 2 engine was supposed to go on the 330, but my number one had the bearings spin so number 2 ended up on my Wagstaff while I fix the first one. So now when I get the first one fixed it will end up on the Spacewalker. Confused yet???
Old 09-16-2008, 05:47 PM
salerno

Tme smart smoker pump. super dri smoke oil (foam safe). pump straight into exhaust pipe. no preheating req.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM
busted blade

ORIGINAL: Super08

My third DL-50 arrived in the mail today. The quality of these engines really seems to be getting better with each one I buy. The casting, compression, and overall look and feel of this last engine is just superb. I was going to save this for my Spacewalker when I get it built, but I am going to put it on my GP Extra 330 instead. My number 2 engine was supposed to go on the 330, but my number one had the bearings spin so number 2 ended up on my Wagstaff while I fix the first one. So now when I get the first one fixed it will end up on the Spacewalker. Confused yet???
Thats good to hear!! I just put an order in for my first DL50 and cant wait to try it out.

Motors were out of stock when I called but he was expecting a shipment in a few days. Hope it will be here soon.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
krproton

Just checking in about my DL 50.

Some of you have followed my trials about crashing my plane, then replacing the bearings. Well, the engine has been back together now for about a week and I just came back from the field after getting in a few more flights. The engine is running superbly - has about 10 - 15 gallons of fuel through it before the bearing and maybe another gallon after. It just runs so smoothly and reliably. Starts easily. I love it in my 27% GP Extra 330S ARF and looking forward to getting more time on my second DL in my Edge.

Well, that's all for now.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: krproton

Just checking in about my DL 50.

Some of you have followed my trials about crashing my plane, then replacing the bearings. Well, the engine has been back together now for about a week and I just came back from the field after getting in a few more flights. The engine is running superbly - has about 10 - 15 gallons of fuel through it before the bearing and maybe another gallon after. It just runs so smoothly and reliably. Starts easily. I love it in my 27% GP Extra 330S ARF and looking forward to getting more time on my second DL in my Edge.

Well, that's all for now.
Tim,
Hows the midrange on your broken in DL 50? Any burps? What oil and mixture are you running? I know alot of guys on here hard having a hard time getting the burping (4 stroking) completely out at mid throttle, me included. But I only have a couple gallons in mine
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 PM
krproton

Hi Sewerdude.

My broken-in DL (the one on my Extra) has 10 to 15 gallons through it. I ran the 2 gallons of Lawnboy at 32:1, then switched to Amsol Saber, but I was running it at about 50:1 for probably about 8 gallons. Until I read a few posts where you really should run it at least 80:1. Another guy at work is running his DL at 80:1, so I started running 80:1 in mine. When I disassembled the engine for the bearing replacement there was considerable (but not really alarming) carbon on top of the piston - probably from running it at 50:1. Now my engine is back together and running great at 80:1.

To answer your question about the burbling, mine used to do it more than it does now, but it never really presented any problems and didn't bother me. I guess because the engine is now broken and I'm running 80:1, and maybe I've tuned out the burble with needle adjustments, I guess it's all gone (or it's so minimal I don't really notice it). The engine always "spools up" right away and runs just great. Maybe I'm not enough of a perfectionist to worry about it because there is plenty of power on-hand anyway.

Also, I think any time you are throttled back, no matter what kind of engine you are running, you are going to get a little "4-stroking," no?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Hello Krproton,
After you replaced the bearings in your DL50, did you go right back to the 80:1 mix or do you have to start over and run your mix at 32:1. I got my DL50 used and I think its the first version that DL came out with because it has the smaller mounting lugs on the engine.
I was installing my Pitts muffler on my DL50 to night and was able to look at the top of my piston and theres deffinately carbon on the top of the piston.
I am also planning to run Amzoil Saber, so I take that it will be okay to run it 80:1
The guy I bought the engine/plane from broke it in on Lawn Boy at 42:1. He's had the DL50 for about two yrs. and has over 3 to 4 gallons through it. The compression seems to be good and strong. Should I look into sending the DL50 it to get it updated or wait until it needs work done on it?
I haven't had the chance to start it up because Im still i the procees to building the plane and haven't got all the servo's bought and installed.
Also how do I program the throttle servo while the engine is on the plane, I can't see the butterfly valve to make sure where Im at as fare as full throttle and idle. I will be installing a opto kill on the igition, and may program a throttle cut on my 10C to work with the opiti kill switch.
Thanks for you help.
NEDYOB
Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 PM
kruzin55

Tonight I got my new DL 50 mounted on my new Goldberg Extra 330 that I found online from Graves RC in Florida. I bought the last Goldberg Extra 330 I could find online as well as a Goldberg Edge 540. Both planes are 77" . I plan on mounting a DL50 on the Edge next. I had lost my first Goldberg Extra 330 three weeks ago when my "buddy" crashed it by pile driving it into the runway. Post-mortem found that we had lost power to the Spectrum AR7000. Must have had a bad battery or broke a connection as he was churning the sky. Plane was a total loss as the motor was 8 inches in the dirt. The old-style aluminum mounts were mangled and one of the mounting ears broke off the engine casting. Muffler was also crushed. Although I did save all the electronicsall servos and receiver. Still I'm worried that the motor bearings or shaft may be damaged. It's currently with Bob at DLUSA for an estimate of repairs.

Because I'm impatient, I had him send me a new DL50. This time I'm using dual batteries on a Smart-Fly PowerExpander with voltage regulator to a JR R921 receiver with four antennas. Talk about redundency!

Unfortunately, I just now found that my new Vess 22B prop won't fit because the the stock prop bolts are not long enough to fit through the thicker Vess prop.

Two questions. Does anyone know what size these four prop bolts are? They appear to be metric because none of my standard cap head bolts match. Also, I plan on running the engine tomorrow, but I have a gallon of 32:1 gas already mixed with Ryobi 4-stroke oil that I use on my Quadra 52 in my Giant Aeromaster. That gas/oil mixture seems to work fine on the Quadra. I do have some Lawnboy smokeless, but didn't want to (nor know where to) dispose of the gas I have already mixed. Do you think it will be a problem to use the Ryobi for the first gallon of break-in on the DL50.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 PM
mstam1971

ORIGINAL: nedyob
Also how do I program the throttle servo while the engine is on the plane, I can't see the butterfly valve to make sure where Im at as fare as full throttle and idle. I will be installing a opto kill on the igition, and may program a throttle cut on my 10C to work with the opiti kill switch.
Thanks for you help.
NEDYOB
Bearings don't need to be broken in. Breaking-in is only required if the piston ring is replaced.

Throttle (the way I like it):

- Disable the throttle sub trim on the Tx;
- Use a small digital servo like the Hitec [link=http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5245mg_digital_mini.html]HS-5245MG[/link];
- Extend the throttle lever of the carb with eg a servo arm. http://tweakshop.net/DL50-install/7.jpg ;
- Use as much servo throw as you can get but keep some margins. If your radio can deal with + and - 150% (+45 and -45 degrees), set it to eg -140% and +120%;
- Use a servo arm with the appropriate length for the full or close to full -/+140%/120%. Mine is at -131% for idle and +98% full throttle at the moment;
- When throttle is fully closed, the servo arm should be (hard to explain) about 70 degrees from central. http://tweakshop.net/DL50-install/9.jpg this picture shows my idle position at -131%. This allows fine tuning of the idle;
- Now use your electronic travel adjustment and set the idle. Start with -125%. The engine will most likely do about 2000-2200rpm;
- Fire up engine and adjust idle with the travel adjustment. Once the engine is running fine, you never need to touch the idle again like you probably used to do with nitro engines;
- Program a throttle curve.

Engine kill switch:
I like the http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-107/index.shtml Great little device, great company to deal with.

This kill switch is programmable to a channel's position so you could program a switch on your Tx to bring the idle to zero and turn the ignition off at the same time, either over 2 separate channels but you can also use a Y-harness. Instructions included with the kill switch. Use the zero throttle and ignition off also as fail-safe position. I'm also using a servo for the choke (HS-81, take the little retainer ball out from the choke butterfly) and programmed fail-safe: zero throttle, ignition off, choke on.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.