Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DL-50 engine

mtwister,
I got the GP yak too, what did you do (or for that matter) what did all of you use for shutting down the engine. Based on what was said in the other thread I'm thinking of using a optikill. Still right in the middle of setting everything up and still have space for it up front. And I'm using a 1400ma 4.8v battery for the ignition. Choke is manual for now.
Edwin
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Al Lewis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

42% Opti-Kill or RCats. I'm sure there are others though.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM
mtwister

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Edwin

mtwister,
I got the GP yak too, what did you do (or for that matter) what did all of you use for shutting down the engine. Based on what was said in the other thread I'm thinking of using a optikill. Still right in the middle of setting everything up and still have space for it up front. And I'm using a 1400ma 4.8v battery for the ignition. Choke is manual for now.
Edwin

I use optical kill switches on all my gassers.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:24 PM
lcarron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is my review about this engine.

The first time I try to fire up I got problem as the plug was dry. The fuel get sucked but the plug was dry and I did not get any burp. I remove the carb and put it together, then it started. I guess something was stuck inside.
I run the first gallon with 1:30 oil after one painful hour at 2500 rpm as stated in the manual. Then I start to fly with moderate throttle management. I'm now at the end of the third gallon and still run it at 1:32 oil ratio. At the beginning the engine was running pretty hot now it seams to be better.
I'm running a pro-zinger prop 22x 8 at 7400. The power is pretty good and the vibrations are moderate. Something very incredible is that the compression is very low but I guess contribute to the low level of vibration which is a very good thing. By the way how come that the power is so high with so low compression?

I get an issue with the exhaust as the pipe start cracking at the welding without any reason. Bob replace at no cost without any problem. Thanks to him. Is the muffler worth the 35 $?? Hopefully I will not have to change muffler every 3 gallons of gas.

Last week I got a dead stick that finish pretty well knowing that with a GP Christen eagles do not want to do it everyday!! I start questioning the reliability and after checking did not find the reason. I flew twice and the engine was "missing" a lot. Then I decide to stop and figure out that one tab in the ignition battery pack was not connected to the cell anymore. I'm now relief and should be able to fly again (after repair of course).

So far it did "burp" a bit in mid range but I have not leaned the top end so far. Just wait until I got the final mixture of oil after breaking. The low end is very lean so far and the plug color is on the brown side. By the way flying up side down eliminates the burp in the middle range. Should we rotate the carb on our DL50???

I like the way it start when cold and if you stop the engine by shutting off the ignition it start on the first flip later. I do not have a lot to compare too but I think that the power is very similar to my brison 3.2 having less vibration and weigh 1 lbs less. The only cons I have right now is that the exhaust spit out tinniest black stains. It should improve when I will move to 1:45 synthetic oil ratio.

I forgot to mention that I got the last version with the motor stand and larger "ears" and I'm quite please with this engine so far.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
edward cobb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Aerobob, where are you. miss seeing your post on the thread. Ed
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Al Lewis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Must be watching the play-offs!!! LOL I know I am!!!! Just waiting for the Indians to play "Wild Thing" and put Charlie Sheen in!!! LMAO Glad to see Bubbagates here though! You too John!! Hope all the old guys found the new thread. Okay, now we got Bob and Ed, we've got a convoy!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM
KWJ48

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey what's going on here? Almost a whole 2 days and no posts. The other DL thread hardly went a few hours. My DL is still running strrong.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:00 PM
edward cobb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Friend in the club I fly in tried to fly his airplane without pluging in the wing servos, the airplane refused to defy gravity. Went in nose first. Airplane destroyed, DL 50 did not come out either. What suprised me was eng mount held up, mounting lugs on crankcase all busted. (this was a version one eng.) . He spoke with Bob @DL USA and ordered the version Two crankcase, had to order both front and back. He said it was an easy swap of parts, had to drill and tap the back half for the pressure nipple. Good to go again. DL50 NEVER SAY DIE. His new airplane is the lanier edge 540. Can,t wait to see how the plane flies with the DL.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
paul5992

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm gonna get a 16oz gas tank to replace my 26oz tank. Do you guys know if they make a side by side tank to run smoke in half and gas in the other half? If not that would be a great idea I think. Right now I use about 7oz of fuel for a 10 to 15min flight. At that rate Its gonna take forever to get it broke in.

Also my motor runs great!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:09 PM
paul5992

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ed I herd that the lanier builds heavy. I'd Like to hear how that comes out. Keep us posted.

I had a lanier edge 540 in a shoping cart at tower for about 2 months. Then I changed my mind to go with a sd model yak. 15.5 pounds. Can't complain about that weight for an 87" yak.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:16 PM
edward cobb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Paul, Will do , Kit calls for 50 to 80cc eng. Yes, Probably little heavier than most, Two rudder servos to be in tail, Set up for two servos in each wing pannel.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
paul5992

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya that thing is built like an 80 to 100cc plane I was talking with lanier and they said that if you go bigger than a 50cc you have to strengthen the firewall. I was gonna run a evolution 58. From horizon hobbies. 8.5hp 24x10 prop. That thing is a monster.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:35 PM
arobatx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Strange, a plane designed for 80cc engines, and anything installed greater than a 50 requires firewall modification? Lanier Arfs are usually pretty tough, and heavy as noted...but at this size, even if it comes out at the advertised 21-22lbs...anything up to and including a DA or 3W85 should be good (or DL85...come on Bob!!!!). I cannot imagine the DL50 doing much justice in this plane, unless it is for very general buzzing around, like the G62 in a H9 33%er. I have two DL50s and I love them, but I just wouldn't consider this to be a good match.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:37 PM
paul5992

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a hole in my J-tec pipe I JB welded it. Hope it holds?

Hows my new camera work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74979.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	785536  
Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 PM
arobatx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see you have one of Rfabbre's mounting plates that we talked about a while back....nice aren't they? Jbweld is always hit or miss for me....it has held up when I least expect it to, then fails when I feel I am asking a small task of it. Go figure.

Chad
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
paul5992

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya that plate is nice. Had to get some hardware store bolts to get enough thread in on the crankcase bolts. I cleaned my pipe with carb and choke cleaner befor glueing. Cross my fingers on that fix. If it doesn't hold, Its no big deal. It was just a pin hole. On rfabbres plate I used lock washers to.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:20 PM
paul5992

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Saturday It is suppose to stop raining. So I might have a new video to share. New cam this time so I don't have to try to get it with my camera phone.
At 2:09 on the second video I hit the kill switch thinking it was duel rates. oops.

http://media.putfile.com/First-run-dl-50

http://media.putfile.com/sd-model-yak-dl-50
Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 PM
JoeyCoates

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can anyone tel me what the weight of the engine is with the ignition system? I have seen all sorts of different numbers and I do not know which one to trust.

The reason I ask is that I have been looking for a 30-40cc engine that is lighter than the DL, but somewhat comperable in price. Yea a ZDZ40 f3d is considerably lighter, but it also costs $600 without a muffler!

The DL50 is really a good bit more then I need on an Ultra-RC Katana, but if everything smaller is a lot more expensive or about the same weight then I will just keep the left stick low!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:54 PM
lcarron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The weigth posted on DLUSA.net is accurate. I check mine on a digital scale and it is right on.
It is 1570g excluding battery, pro and spiner.

Weight: Engine - 1350g Exhaust - 100g Ignition - 120g

Old 10-19-2007, 12:40 AM
skreamer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got one on a 1.60 size plane. I here you on the weight of the 30to40cc. My first combo had a 35cc that was a pound hevier than the DL50. I don't know that a 1.20 size plane could take the stress. If you try it definitley use robarts hinges as the cloth ones tear out in a few flights. The robarts reduced vibrations in the control surfaces by half. Epoxy everything you can reach from front to back. I wanted to try it (on a 1.20 size) but I'm not that brave. Let us know if yours holds together and what your flying style is. It would be an insane power to weight ratio.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:43 AM
skreamer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I forgot to mention prop clearance. Maybe a three blade?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Rfabbre

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: JoeyCoates

Can anyone tel me what the weight of the engine is with the ignition system? I have seen all sorts of different numbers and I do not know which one to trust.

The reason I ask is that I have been looking for a 30-40cc engine that is lighter than the DL, but somewhat comperable in price. Yea a ZDZ40 f3d is considerably lighter, but it also costs $600 without a muffler!

The DL50 is really a good bit more then I need on an Ultra-RC Katana, but if everything smaller is a lot more expensive or about the same weight then I will just keep the left stick low!
You may want to look at the Copperhead Venom 30. Good power and light weight. They also make a 45.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 AM
fay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey mtwister your stand look cool... got plan? [8D]
Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 PM
craigteffe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have a canister setup on this engine and which one would you all recomend? Also where can i purchase.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Al Lewis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe you can find that information on the last thread that was locked.

Search this Thread