Engine fo Hostetler 30% Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:21 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine fo Hostetler 30% Decathlon

Hello,

I am trying to plan out my next project and I am leaning toward building a 30% Hostetler Super Decathlon which would probably weigh about 25 LBS RTF. The literature says to use a 3-6 CI engine, but in my mind, a 100CC engine would be very excessive for this type of plane. Would a good strong 50cc such as a DA/DL 50 be enough to fly it with good scale authority... I am not looking for 3D here... just plenty of power when needed. Thanks.

Dan
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine fo Hostetler 30% Decathlon

I think guys have put ZDZ 80's in there. Not much more than a good 50, but I think a good 50 would fly it fine. Even a G62 should work.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:42 PM
arobatx

Bang for the buck with great customer service...the DL50 as you mentioned is really hard to beat. I've seen great results flying a 20lb decathlon on floats, with a simple G26, and that's with more than scale performance. I'd bet the DL would be plenty. An 80cc won't give a 25lb plane 3D authority either, take a few pounds off, then it would. So I guess it depends on how much power in reserve you feel you need

Chad
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
DMyer

Thanks for the replys... by good authority I want to be have good uplines, hang on the prop a while spitting smoke everywhere before a tail slide or entering a spin, big pretty loops with a snap on top... that kind of stuff you might see a real one do. As far as enough power... being an ex racer I have always believed in enough poor is good, more power is better and way too much is just about right! I am trying to restrain myself to what is actually practical and less expensive to boot.

Dan
Old 10-22-2007, 04:31 PM
arobatx

After hearing your response, which I can certainly relate to, I would recommend an 80cc, at least. Since DA and 3W have both come out with 85cc engines, and ZDZ has their newer 'super 80'....two of the three companies have 'older' 80cc singles out in the market, some still new in box, and they are selling off very reasonably since many want to move to the newly released engines. Maybe this is a good time for you to snap one of them up? 3W has the 75 and 80xi and ZDZ has the 80RV. Of these, the ZDZ is slightly smaller, and lighter. I have both the 80xi and 80RV, and so far I think they are an excellent value.

Heck, there are even great deals on Zenoah GT80 twins, new in the box! Depending on how scale you want your Decathlon, you could have the cylinders of the GT80 hanging outside the cowl

Chad
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

My friend imports these, I've got two. I've been try to get him to push them for scale, they really don't have 3D power, but they are smooth, good power, and they fit in scale cowl well.

http://lsproengines.com/lspro_007.htm

Don't confuse it with the HH 100, which is from what I understand a really bad copy.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 AM
leoplanes

Dan

I have a Hostetler Super Decathlon . In my opinion the right engine to go is the Gasoline Torch 60 . Its fits inside the cowl like a glove , and usually the CG will be right without additiona weights . Is a superb engine . It has electrinic ignition and all the bells and wistlers . Neddless to say , starts at first flip and is rock solid running .

I have been flying with my Decathon for the last tree years . It is a very pleasant plane specially when a matched engine choice is take . If you want to fly around or to have scale performance The Torch 60 will meet your needs . It will give a superb knife edge , loops , hamerheads ( Mine is fitted with smoke system , wow...) . Vertical performance is also impressive . If you fit a 90 I think it acctually performs torch rolls !

If you are interested , you can get informations and support from : [email protected] or website www.torchengines.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11007.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	788680  
Old 10-23-2007, 03:53 PM
DMyer

Do you know the HP and $$ numbers for that Torch 60 engine... the web site dosn't have too much info. Looks like it is a recent import.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 PM
marciouca

hello DMyer,

please, would you like to contact us at [email protected]

doing this, we will answer your questions

best regards

Marcio