Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

XY(Z) 26cc A-Spec Gas engine

Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 PM
bdelmonte
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XY(Z) 26cc A-Spec Gas engine

Any info out there on the XY(Z) 26cc A-Spec Gas engine by UH/HC, such as like sold engines sold in US?

[link=http://unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5787]XY(Z) 26cc A-Spec Gas engine[/link]
Old 10-24-2007, 05:56 AM
bako

Default RE: XY(Z) 26cc A-Spec Gas engine

i have ordered it today, but C one, it'h lower headed. i'll write then what it is
Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
skyborne98

Has either of you found out anything about these engines? I am interested in one to
Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Judging by the numbers quoted (6700 rppm on a Zinger 18x6) this engine is significantly lower in power than a converted Zenoah 26. Ralph quotes 9000 rpm on a Mejzlik 18x6, 17-1/2 lbs of thrust.

The Hobbycity engine looks nice and the price is very good, but this is significantly less power than other engines in the same size range.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Thats a lot lower then a BCMA 26cc also. Haven't seen the engines but they sure don't sound impressive from those numbers. They giving them away or something?? Okay, found it, I guess they are giving them away. Can't think what you would use it on. 980 grams is heavy even without that heavy steel muffler.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:56 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one, that I just received and am waiting on a CG 120 stik to put it on. I will post results, once I get the plane and servos from Tower and get it together and test flown.

Initial quality out of the box looks fine. The steel muffler is light, the engine is light, has good compression out of the box. I will break it in with an APC 18X6W, then go to an 18X10 pattern after a couple of gallons on 32:1 Lawnboy ashless through it and the go to Amsoil Sabre 100:1 mixed between 60 to 80:1. All six of my other gas engines have done very well on the DA formula, so why digress from success.

The entire cost including shipping was around $185.00 from United Hobbies.

Happy Landings,
Mike Boyd
AMA 7197
Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Mike, how long did it take you to receive the engine?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
mikeboyd

About 7 days to receive the engine. It actually came faster than some other things I ordered before it, and still haven't come yet.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 AM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

Can you confirm whether or not the muffler has baffles in it?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
mikeboyd

Can't tell, Iwould assume so, but only has a small exhaust hole and I can put a push rod all the way down the tube, but that doesn't mean there are no baffles.

Why the question? Just curious.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: mikeboyd

Can't tell, Iwould assume so, but only has a small exhaust hole and I can put a push rod all the way down the tube, but that doesn't mean there are no baffles.

Why the question? Just curious.

I'm rather new to gas motors, but I've got a 45cc engine and it's just so damn loud. I'm building a large float plane and I'm looking for a quieter setup. The neighbors at our lake will kill me if I'm flying a roaring chainsaw over their heads. I know I can go out and drop $150 on an after market pitts muffer, but If I can get an entire motor for $180, then that's the way I'll go.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
mikeboyd

The muffler looks just like the ones I have had on both Fujis and Zenoahs. The Fuji stock muffler is very quiet, probably a lot quieter than a big outboard revving up on your lake. I recently replaced the stock steel muffler on my Fuji 64 with a Bisson unit. It is much lighter, a little larger volume and is just as quiet as the stock unit. The engine feells stronger, but I haven't tached it to see what differences there would be. The KMP Yak it is on, is very light and the engine way over powers the plane. I can take off in less than 12 feet and it accelerates vertically to almost out of sight. Still not offensively loud.

I have ordered an FLT 45 from United Hobbies this week. Hope it is here next week. I am thinking about putting it on my Cermak Pitts, replacing the ST2300 that is currently on it.

Once I get that engine, I will post some first impressions on the FLT 45 thread.

I am still waiting on my Wild Stick 120 for the XYZ 26. It is the C Spec, not the A spec, but I will post performance, starting and other relevant information on this thread when it is built and I can run and fly the engine. Like I said before, I do not run gas engines on test stands, as most manufactureres warn against this practice. I only run them on the ground long enough to ensure they are set up and respsonding to throttle commands and shut off properly, then break them in, in the air, where they belong.

Good luck with your plane. Is it a float plane, since you are on a lake? We do some float flying at our lake east of San Antonio. We have several gassers in large planes that fly over the lake. Feel free to send any PMs to me, if you don't want to post too much personal information or questions.

Safe Landings,
Mike Boyc
AMA 7197
Old 11-16-2007, 03:52 AM
bako

I'm going to put this 26cc c-spec on 1.8m giles 202, I think this plane will weight 3.5, maximum 4kg and I hope I will get about 1.5 thrust to weight.
Mike mike can u make some measurement for me? I want to buld motor box, but don't know distance from propeller hub to mounting firelwall.

and by the way, zenoag G20 has 1.7hp and it spins 15X6 APC 9500 rpm after hour of running in. I tached it, but don't remember it was ordinary apc, or W series. and this 26cc engine weights same and has 2 hp, thats 15% more than g20 and I hope torque will be 15% more than G20.
15X6 APC on 9500=13,75 lb =5.1kg
if calculated too roughly, 13.75 x 1.15=15.8 lb of thrust=5.9kg and I think that is normal for 1kg engine which costs only 160$
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31463.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	804876  
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 AM
mikeboyd

ORIGINAL: bako

I'm going to put this 26cc c-spec on 1.8m giles 202, I think this plane will weight 3.5, maximum 4kg and I hope I will get about 1.5 thrust to weight.
Mike mike can u make some measurement for me? I want to buld motor box, but don't know distance from propeller hub to mounting firelwall.

and by the way, zenoag G20 has 1.7hp and it spins 15X6 APC 9500 rpm after hour of running in. I tached it, but don't remember it was ordinary apc, or W series. and this 26cc engine weights same and has 2 hp, thats 15% more than g20 and I hope torque will be 15% more than G20.
15X6 APC on 9500=13,75 lb =5.1kg
if calculated too roughly, 13.75 x 1.15=15.8 lb of thrust=5.9kg and I think that is normal for 1kg engine which costs only 160$
From the firewall to the trust washer is 4.75".

Hope this helps. The stik came two days ago. The servos came yesterday, so it is going together slowly. It is not really designed for a gas engine, so I have had to be a little creative in setting everything up. I am waiting for optical cut off switches to arrive, before I fly it, but should be able to finish it early next week and test run the engine on the airplane long enough to make sure the needles are set for good transition, idle and power. I have an APC 16X10, and 8 to try out on it for break-in. Once it has a few tank fulls, I may go to an 18X6 or 18X8. I alway go for the smaller prop for breakin, so the engine isn't loaded, can spin up freely and will get good air flow for that critical few tank fulls. Already have Lawnboy ashless at 32:1 mixed up for breakin.

I will post some results sometime next week. Hope everyone has a terrific Thanksgiving!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
bako

thanks for this dimencion. Is't small one I have never had gas engine, but only 12 cm, that wonderfull!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Ravivos

Hi all,
i've mounted this engine on my funtana s90, the funtana had a saito 120 on her, she flew great with a 16X6 apc prop.
the xy 26cc engine sits perfecly on her, mounted the engine with a 17X6 APC prop (just because i couldnt find a 18X6).
95octane fuel, 3% motul fully synthetic oil.
the engine, almost straight out of the box (had 200cc of fuel through it) spins a 17X6 APC prop at 7500 RPM, thats not too bad.
the feeling of this engine, compare to the saito, is that the power is almoust the same.
had three short flights with it, i am sure that the engine's performance will increase after break-in , a full gallon of gas.
will try using a 18X6 Xoar or Mens prop, i think it will be better.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73812.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	805132  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 AM
mikeboyd

I ran the engine yesterday with an APC 16X10. It started easily, idled okay and run up to 7590rpm's. I did not fly it yet, as I am still waiting on the electronic kill switch to be delivered. The GB Wild Stick 120 came out to 10 pounds 5 ounces, so at 1330 sq. inches, the wing loading is around 19 ounces per square foot, which isn't too shaby.

I mounted the rudder servo and battery in the tail to get the plane to balance with little weight penalties. I made a 5 cell AAA NiMH battery pack up for the ignition pack to keep the weight down in the nose, since the ignition, battery and switch all had to go as close to the firewall as possible to keep the control electronics and ignition at least 12" apart from one another.

Hopefully the weather will clear next weekend, so I can get it test flown. I set the plane up with crow and some other mixes and it ended up taking all seven programmable channels on my 9C to accomplish getting the crow set up properly. I am using all nine channels on the 319DPS receiver also.

The futaba website has a set up for crow, but is lacking in some critical setup information, so had to finish figuring it out on my own. This should prove to be a fun airplane to fly and kick around. It certainly generated allot of interest at the Propbuster's field this weekend, where we were hosting Sport 40 Sky Raider racing. Luckily we got it all finished before it started raining. I took some pictures, but can't seem to figure out how to import them into this file.

Hope everyone has a terrific Thanksgiving Holiday.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
KCJarman

Any updates on this posting..... I am concidering this engine for a 67" Yak 54.... Not sure about the obscure brand and only around 8000 rpm on a 16x8.....

Thanks....

Hope you all had a good Thanks giving.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:14 PM
mikeboyd

ORIGINAL: KCJarman

Any updates on this posting..... I am concidering this engine for a 67" Yak 54.... Not sure about the obscure brand and only around 8000 rpm on a 16x8.....

Thanks....

Hope you all had a good Thanks giving.
The RPM's I reported was close to 8 grand on an APC 16X10. This is on a brand new, green, tight engine running 32:1 lawnboy "syrup" through the engine. I have found nearly all gas engines to be very sluggish for the first few tank fulls of gas. They seem to gain more and more power with every flight. The reason I chose the Wild Stick over a Yak was due to the larger wing area to carry the extra weight over a 1.20 to 1.50 four stroke glow engine. Obviously, at less than $200, this particular gas engine is much less expensive for both initial purchase and fuel usage, in the long run. Large 4 stroke, glow engines also require a bit of break-in as well. When you consider the extra valve maintenance and cost of 15-20% glow fuel, the heavier gas engine seems to be a better choice.

The key thing you should consider, if you are putting this in a 67" Yak, is how much tail weight you would need to add, even if you mount the battery and all the tail servos in the tail section of the fuselage. I had to put 3-2 ounce sticks in the tail of Wild Stick, which ended up with an overall weight of about 10.5 pounds. This is nearly a pound more than what a large glow engine, such as a ST2300 or Saito 1.50 would result in. Even so at 1315 Sq. In. the wing loading still ends up to be about 19 oz/SF, which is about right where you want to be for this sized fun fly airplanes.

If you use what I just gave you and do the math on your Yak, you may want to try to ensure you stay below about 29 lbs/sf, so you don't end up with a "lead sled" that is not any fun to fly at all.

Hope this helps in your decision. All of these new, cheap Chinese engines are somewhat of a gamble. I took the gamble over a year ago on a DL50 and have no regrets at all with that engine. It ended up costing me less than half of the DA50. Everytime I fly it, it gets stronger and stronger. I don't even have a gallon of fuel through it yet, with the work scheduel and weather, but it is empressive.

Good luck with your decision,
Mike Boyd
AMA 7197
Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 PM
KCJarman

The Yak that I will be putting this engine on is a Carl Goldberg Yak 54. Finished weight with the gas engine should put me around 12.5 to 13 lbs this is taking into account the extra pound that running gas will set me back. Overall wing area is 883 sq. in. When I put the thrust calculator to work I came up with a wing loading of 180 ounces per sq. ft. or 11.25 lbs per sq. ft.

That seems pretty reasonable to me..... But I would really like to get an equal 1.5 thrust to weight ratio.... and that will require nearly 19lbs of thrust...... which means I need to turn an 18x6 prop at least 8000 rpm.....

If this $200.00 investment will get me there... then I see no reason to spend the extra on a Saito 150/180. I am just hesitant to pull the trigger on this motor without knowing if it will swing an 18x6 at my perscribed rpm.....

My other option is to purchase a saito 150.... or a Brillelli 26....... at one and a half times the cost..... I don't see the need if China brand x will foot the bill.....
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 PM
mikeboyd

ORIGINAL: KCJarman

The Yak that I will be putting this engine on is a Carl Goldberg Yak 54. Finished weight with the gas engine should put me around 12.5 to 13 lbs this is taking into account the extra pound that running gas will set me back. Overall wing area is 883 sq. in. When I put the thrust calculator to work I came up with a wing loading of 180 ounces per sq. ft. or 11.25 lbs per sq. ft.

That seems pretty reasonable to me..... But I would really like to get an equal 1.5 thrust to weight ratio.... and that will require nearly 19lbs of thrust...... which means I need to turn an 18x6 prop at least 8000 rpm.....

If this $200.00 investment will get me there... then I see no reason to spend the extra on a Saito 150/180. I am just hesitant to pull the trigger on this motor without knowing if it will swing an 18x6 at my perscribed rpm.....

My other option is to purchase a saito 150.... or a Brillelli 26....... at one and a half times the cost..... I don't see the need if China brand x will foot the bill.....
Okay, you're a little off. 883 Sqin / 144 (in./sf) = 6.3 sf and 12.5 pounds X16 ounces = 200 ounces/6.3 = 31.7 ounces/SF. This is very high loading for a plane of this size and may not perform as well as you may want. You may want to explore an option that would get you less than 29.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 PM
KCJarman

Yep.... I was accually going to repost..... I posted without converting.... and it is closer to 34 ounces per sq ft. at 13 lbs......... Your right..... looks like I'm going the Saito 150 route after all......

Thanks

This engine still may be a great option for my 120 Christian Eagle that I am working on........
Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
mikeboyd

Update. I purchased an Evolution 18X6 wood prop for gas engines at the LHS for my 26. They did not have a Vess, Xoar or Mens in that particular size. I opted for the wooden prop over the APC due to weight. Swithcing from the 16X10 to the 18X6 made the Wild Stick 120 come alive. We had to lean out the top end quite a bit, but the engine is pulling this prop well over 7 grand and idle is smooth with excellent transition and idle around 1650. The plane will now hover and pull out gradually from a hover, which is pretty good with an engine with only a few tanks of fuel through it. I am running lawnboy ashless for breakin at 30:1 for the first gallon of gas. The engine is so easy to start from cold, warms up quickly and runs very smootly. For less than $200.00 I feel like I stole this engine. The plane weighs 10.5 pounds, so I would consider about 12 pounds to be the upper limit for sport flying and about 9 to 10 pound max for 3D. I highly recommend a good, made for gas wooden prop also. The Evolution looks almost exacly like the others (Vess, Xoar, & Mens) that seem to pull the strongest with gas engines.

My engine is a C spec engine, not an A spec, so those of you lucky enough to get an A spec, should see much better results than I am seeing. Hope all have a great holiday period and maybe Santa will leave one of these gems under your tree!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 AM
rfmullig

I just ordered the XY(Z) 50cc A spec. It should arrive within the next 2 weeks.
I will be mounting this on a 27% CAP 232. I am planning to break in this engine in with a 20x8 apc
and transition to a 21x8 Vess or Xoar. I will provide video.
Rob
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
mikeboyd

ORIGINAL: rfmullig

I just ordered the XY(Z) 50cc A spec. It should arrive within the next 2 weeks.
I will be mounting this on a 27% CAP 232. I am planning to break in this engine in with a 20x8 apc
and transition to a 21x8 Vess or Xoar. I will provide video.
Rob
I just ordered my second 50 about 5 days ago (2/14/08), still hasn't shipped, don't know what is taking so long, since I paid with PayPal.

My first one is on an Obsession, with a 18X8 Xoar prop, it pulls over 8 grand. I started with a 18X12, but was only pulling in the high sixes and low sevens. I felt this was lugging the engine too much during break-in. Any way, I don't have the prop clearance for a 20 or 21" prop at the rough, grass field we fly at. I liked this engines' easy starting and solid transition so much I ordered the second engine from HC for my new GP Giant Aeromaster. It looks like it will fit the airplane almost perfect, since the plane was designed for a Fuji 43 and these engine have very similar dimensions.

My XY 26 continues to break in and get stronger with each flight on my GB Wild Stick. It is set up with a 9 channel radio and is a favorite for almost everyone to fly at our Lake field at River City RC, here in San Antonio. I am still using the Evolution 18X6 prop, which seems to work very well with this airplane/engine combination.

Hope you enjoy you engine, when you get it.

Happy Landings,
Mike Boyd
AMA 7197

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.