Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engines, Cowls & Switches?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 04:14 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Engines, Cowls & Switches?

I'm working through my MVVS 1.60 Petrol installation on my H9 Cap. One of the things I'm stymied by is were people put the engine control switch when you have a cowl covering everything? If you mount it to the cowl you can't remeove the cowl. If you put it under the cowl how do you get to it - another big hole? If you mount it behind the cowl it's to close to the radio gear. would love to hear some of your solutions.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:37 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some folks control the switch with a servo.....I have never understood this one since in event of a radio failure how do you turn the engine off easily?
Others put the switch somewhere in the vicinity of the hot air outlet under the cowl and mounted to the fuse.
Others mount it on the cowl with a plug and socket between it and the battery which is easily unplugged when you want to take the cowl off.
On larger gas planes its easier to move your radio and all its gear and switches back in the fuse to get the necessary no mans land between it and the engine battery system .I have installations where the batteries ,rx, servos, and switch,are all in the fuse well behind the wing and accesible through hatches in the fuse bottom......your CG location comes into this too,though.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:34 PM
VinceL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount switches

I typically mount all my engine stuff in the cowl. The easy and cleanest installations can be done by mounting your switch, charge jack and fuel filler in a piece of light ply. You simply only cut the cowl enough for the end of the switch or fuel filler to peak through so you can access them for the necessities. Leave the bulk of the switch plate and charge jack behind the cowl surface. I simply use a few small sheet metal screws to mount the wood plate to the cowl. When you need to remove the cowl just remove a few screws and all of your connections are still in place should you need to run the engine uncowled.

Vince L
Old 03-02-2002, 12:20 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default safty switches

Please post your times when a safty switch saved the day for you or anyone else. Thanks Captin John
Old 03-02-2002, 05:45 AM
iflyrvs1-RCU

I put all my switches in the fuselage. I dont like the switches in the engine compartment. Works fine for me. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4432_3353.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	3483  
Old 03-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Put the ignition switch just behind the cowl. Put your receiver, switch, battery farther back. No issue.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:12 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default KILL SWITCH ALTERNATIVE

A pull type linkage on plane could do 2 things if set up right. It could choke the engine for starting and also could be used to kill engine. Also the beauty of it it would not involve any elecrical way too mess up radio. Think about that. Thanks, Captinjohn