DRB-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

:confused Have purchased a 3w 70i and was wandering what was the best oil to use? should i use synthetic oil? engine is supposed to have had 5 gal through it already. thanks.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:06 PM
lynngordon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

Search this forum - there are probably over a hundred threads on what oil people are using.

Lynn
Old 03-30-2003, 02:28 PM
glowplugboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Klotz Model Lub

I like Klotz Modelube. Made especially for gas model engines. Email me if you have questions.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:20 PM
ml3456

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

Do not break in with synthetic. Too slippery
Old 03-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Diablo-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

If there's a Honda motorcycle shop nearby, you can use Honda HP2 synthetic for 2 strokes. I use it at 32:1 ratio, as recommended on the bottle. I'm sure you can find other all synthetic oils at the cycle shop.

A lot of people use Amsoil at 100:1, but Aircraft International will void the warranty if you use that lean an oil ratio. Amsoil also makes a 50:1 oil, called Amsoil 2000-R. If you want to use that brand, use the 2000-R product at a 50:1 ratio.

More oil = more power, cooler temperatures, better corrosion protection during storage, and less engine wear.

3W also distributes their own brand of synthetic oil. For that you contact Aircraft International or Cactus Aviation.

The lowest cost synthetic is Mobil MX2T - available at the auto parts stores for $3.50 / pint. I've read about good results from the MX racers using this oil, but haven't tried it myself.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:55 PM
DRB-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what oil to use

Thanks for the replies very helpful
Old 03-30-2003, 05:35 PM
JB Rekit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

First break it in with an ashless oil at about a 40-50:1 and then run Amsoil at about 85-100:1 after that. I run mine close to 85:1 just to be a little closer to the safe side.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:37 PM
JB Rekit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

Woops, completely missed your post Diablo.

If 3W voids warranty with amsoil I guess I would go with their oil. DA reccomends amsoil and thats what I use and love it.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:29 PM
fryfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

try Cactus Aviation oil,it's a high quality synthetic oil (better than the HP2 oil) that not only lubricates but cleans deposits from cylinder walls and pistons in older engines too.
Contrary to popular belief ( OLD SCHOOL ) this is an excellent oil to break in a 3W motor. Cactus Aviation with the blessing of 3W is recommending this oil to run in their motors from day one.This oil was produced for Cactus Aviation and as far as I know it is the only place where it is available as of now.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:52 PM
captinjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default oils

about any good hi performance 2 stroke oil for air cooled engines will be just fine. I would not waste $$$ on very expensive oils. Its going to be a crash that shortens your engines life!!!! Pay more detail to correct radio installation. Smooth Landings Capt,n
Old 03-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Homebrewer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

I agree that any name brand quality oil will be just find. Lawnboy ashless, Honda HP2, Mercury Marine 2 stroke, Amsoil, etc.. will work fine.

I feel that oil ratios are more important and I will never run any less oil than 40:1-50:1 regardless of the oil.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Big_Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

DRB, since your engine already has 5 gallons through it, I think a breakin oil would not do anything for it. Use a good quality synthetic mixed at 50:1. Such as Amsoil 2000, Klotz Modelube or KL-200, or Honda HP2.

After that try very hard to do what Captinjohn said. Keep that sucker from smacking the ground!!!

Ken
Old 03-31-2003, 04:12 PM
OnTheEdge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

I was told by Bobby at Cactus to run Honda HP1 at 50:1 (even though Honda HP1 is to be mixed at 32:1) The instruction sheet packed with my 3W100 is VERY specific about 50:1 and not 32:1.

Any thoughts......??
Old 03-31-2003, 04:17 PM
fryfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

just to let you guys know , the Cactus Synthetic oil is a little cheaper than the HP2 by a couple of cents atleast down here.The HP2 is running a little over $8.00 a pint from the Honda dealer. NOW that's a little much !!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 04:25 PM
fryfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

All of the instructions coming from Cactus states 50:1 for oil content. This ratio has been proved time and again for consistancy of cooling and maximun power even with the super synthetics on the market today.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:57 PM
OnTheEdge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

Quote:
Originally posted by fryfly
.....The HP2 is running a little over $8.00 a pint from the Honda dealer. NOW that's a little much !!!!

Like Bobby has said in the past, "Honda is might proud of their oil!"

Thanks for the info...........Mark
Old 03-31-2003, 07:00 PM
fryfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

yes they are!! don't get me wrong it's good stuff but the oil Bobby is selling now under the Cactus name is even better than the HP2.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:22 PM
Diablo-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

The HP2 sells for $5 / pint around here.
I just picked up some Mobil 1 MX2T oil for $3.50 / pint at the Auto Zone parts store.

If there's any real data on the superiority of "Bobby-Oil" vs HP2, I'd like to see it.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:06 AM
fryfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

there were tests done on it at the U of M just a little bit ago but now the inventor a friend of mine who did the tests is in Iraq on one of the air bases fighting right now and plans on doing a few more tests when he gets back.I talked to him the other day via e-mail and he said he might miss most if not all of the flying season this year (what does that tell you)!!! Anyway,I'm not sure what Bobby has as far as results goes but he does have the basics if you have any questions,but he won't be back in the office till next week because of Toledo Expo this coming weekend.I have a few numbers that were given me but I am unable to speak of them because I was asked not to post anything until Brian was able to come back and do more tests to confirm the first set of tests made.Hopefully they will be complete by the end of the summer and available to all. I will tell you this though and you can believe it or not it makes no difference to me but the initial tests showed not just small steps ahead of the competition,Amsoil,Hp2,Klotz,and a few others,but leeps and bounds.
I don't expect anyone to take that as truth unless you have already ran it,because if you have I think that most will agree it is the truth.
Bobby has the basics for now for whoever has questions
Old 04-01-2003, 01:16 AM
Diablo-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

What does your buddy do at U of M?
Department? Title?
Was this an official bit of research or something on the side?
Old 04-01-2003, 02:09 AM
fryfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

Brian is the inventor of the oil,he doesn't work at U of M he works for the Air National Guard and is in Iraq right now.The tests were done at the U of M. He did some testing there before he shipped over seas,he plans on doing a few more tests to confirm the first test results he did.After confirming a second or even a third time he plans on putting it all out in the open.When that actually happens I truley think people won't believe what they read but then again maybe they will. Hope that helps! Again I don't want anyone to go by what I say unless they have actually tried this stuff for themselves.
And yes these tests are official !
Old 04-01-2003, 02:49 AM
Big_Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

fryfly, absolutely no disrespect intended but I get really suspicious when I hear that an oil is "leeps and bounds" ahead of companies like Amsoil and Klotz. Amsoil was the inventor of synthetic oil techonlogy and has a very large research and development department. I don't think that there are very many real secrets in the synthetic oil business and a break through of this magnitude would have the big companies working round the clock to duplicate it or exceed it.

I have used Amsoil and Klotz oils extensively in my engines and have been more than satisfied with the performance, protection and cleanliness of these oils. Does Bobby oil produce another 500 rpm? What criteria are you basing "leeps and bounds" on that can be observed?

I'm always willing to learn.

Ken
Old 04-01-2003, 04:10 AM
fryfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

Alot of people would say the same thing and like I said don't believe what I say unless you try it yourself.I'm not going to go too far out on a limb here but, Amsoil didn't invent the synthetic oil technology,I believe the Germans in world war II invented it long before Amsoil or klotz was around.Amsoil just took components of oils produced from the 40's and 50's and blended them in a way to use in racing,(cars,trucks,motorcycles,carts etc.)
That being said Amsoil,Klotz and others produce great oils but not everyone making synthetic is using the same stuff. I can't go into specifics because that is totally propriatary to the owners.Amsoil,klotz is the same way !! they will tell you what the stuff will do but they are not going to tell you what it consists of.Like I said you really need to try it to actually see for yourself.The reason I know so much about this oil is that I was one of the guniea pigs that tested the stuff before it went on the market.Before that I was strictly a Honda HP2 man and really didn't want to switch oils and fiddle with needles and retune engines.I finally gave in and started to use this oil,the first thing I had to do right off the bat was richen my needles because my 3W 70 and 85 twin were starting to run lean after the first tank.I gained on both motors 200 to 400 rpm's right off the bat the first time I started them up without touching the needles.
The second thing I was impressed with is after running this oil approximately 2 gallons through my 70 I tore it down and pulled the jug. To my surprise every bit of deposit from this 2 year old engine was completely GONE without a trace. The piston/cylinder walls and especially the top of the piston and top portion of the head inside the cylinder was as clean as the day I bought it.There were no visible scars on the cylinder or piston and the rings still had the visible shine on the edges they had the first time I dissasembled it after it was purchased.
I personally after running other oils have yet to find anything including Amsoil,Klotz that runs this clean or strong in my motors.Like I said before don't take my word for it,you really have to try it for yourself.I too before I first took the plunge was sceptical about this stuff,but after trying it and then finding out how it's made and what's in it I won't run anything else.
If you need anymore info on the stuff you really need to call Bobby and ask him what you need to know because I'm not at liberty to tell anything other than that.If your curious try it if not no big deal,but since Bobby has started selling it under the Cactus name he has been hard pressed to keep it in stock.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:10 PM
EJB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bobby Oil

Well,I hope Bobby has this oil at Todelo.Heck,I'll try it & see for myself.200 MORE rpm?.......Stay tuned,folks.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Diablo-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Oil To Use

Say Ed:
You buy the oil and test it.
I'll write an article and submit it for publication in the " Journal of Irreproducible Results".

http://www.jir.com/

Search this Thread