Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rebuilding Grandpa's Plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Jburry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding Grandpa's Plane

Sure I'll watch!

I haven't seen many toy airplanes yet. Well, I guess I own a few Aero Aces, those count as toys. Ours are high performance model aircraft.

Ya know, I haven't brought anyone out to our field yet who wasn't impressed and intrigued by the planes and pilots there. And hey, it's cheaper and more fun than most other hobbies (well, cheaper if you want it to be)

I finally got out to the field for the first time this year yesterday too. Just brought my old trainer to shake the cobwebs out, last time I flew was the weekend that the fall time change hit. First take-off was rusty, too much up elevator held (taildragger), but the next 2 were pretty flawless, and OMG was the smell of glow fuel burnin' ever beautiful!

Hopefully this weekend or early next week I'll get to maiden the Pipe Dream. Finished it just after the time change, and the snow hit the next day. Charging it up as I type! My first gasser (and the reason I was visiting this particular part of the forum and spotted this thread.). Like you, I've declared it ready to go a dozen times only to tear into some detail or another one more time, but now it's time is near...

J
Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 PM
meaden

Hip, Jburry,

I like "high performance model aircraft" that sounds cool. Something I can sell to the in-laws over dinner and not sound stupid

Thanks for hanging with this thread. I know it's been self indulgent.

Good luck on your flight! Thanks for the encouragement.

Post some photos of your maiden...yes, here...or start your own self indulgent thread.

Isn't RCU cool?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Jburry

Meaden, thanks, I have my thread down in the duldrums of Sport Flying! Didn't realize how ill travelled that forum was when I made it months back, but there it is!

The maiden was made today and went well. I posted the story in my thread there, check it out. Videos were shot (poor quality) and I'll upload them in a couple days.

Gassers.... What a blast!

J
Old 04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
meaden

Cool Jburry, Congratulations! You don't need to upload video...I was right there with you reading it!

This thread probably should have been in the Sport Flying forum too but I didn't really plan on it going on past my questions about the engine.

I got the broken bit's fixed and will fly it again tomorrow. I have confidence in my soldering but not much confidence in the quality of the metal of the replacement parts

I'll start on the Laser in the next month or so but I think I'll start a new thread in a more appropriate forum.

Everyone, fly safe, have fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61132.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	935313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37555.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	935314