Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Proper Throttles on Gas Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Proper Throttles on Gas Engines

There's no need to purchase a"rotator block" with a Zenoah engine. All that's required is a simple, $1.00, 90 degree bellcrank. Zenoah engines have always been this way and most everyone that's been building and flying for some time knows that. Or did you buy it on E-Bay with no available help or support from the seller?

I just don't have any sympathy for people that are lazy, whine a lot, or lack creativity. This is supposed to be modeling not some plug and play computer or X-Box game. Jump in, take a look at things, and get your hands dirty. Sorry, but if you can't handle it, try fishing. You still have to tie the knots for the hook though.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 PM
fritzdecat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at it any way you want. Spend all night sussing out difficult linkage and have your eureka moment when its done FINE with me

The way things are going now in the trend from kits to ARFS to plug and plays ,

Hopefully those little engineering hassles will fade away like they should.

Oh Happy Day..
Old 11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at it any way you want. Spend all night sussing out difficult linkage and have your eureka moment when its done FINE with me
Try 30 minutes. I'm done. How you can make something so simple into an all nighter is beyond me. Unsubscribing as I have no intention of being in a war zone.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

There's no need to purchase a"rotator block" with a Zenoah engine. All that's required is a simple, $1.00, 90 degree bellcrank. Zenoah engines have always been this way and most everyone that's been building and flying for some time knows that. Or did you buy it on E-Bay with no available help or support from the seller?

I just don't have any sympathy for people that are lazy, whine a lot, or lack creativity. This is supposed to be modeling not some plug and play computer or X-Box game. Jump in, take a look at things, and get your hands dirty. Sorry, but if you can't handle it, try fishing. You still have to tie the knots for the hook though.
My thoughts exactly. OR--go back to glow engines.

Here's a thought:
Go buy a KIT and build it. (assembling an ARF is NOT building. Never has been. Never will be) Some of you guys are acting like setting up a throttle linkage is akin to re-inventing cold fusion. Have you ever even built a KIT? Not a Sig or Great Planes kit where you get all the pretty pictures and the explicityly detailed instruction booklet thats 65 pages long. I mean a BUILDERS kit where it's not all spelled out for you and you have to actually do a little thinking and engineering to finish it. Ever built one over 65" span? [sm=lol.gif]

It DOES boil down to modeling skills. If you had any--you'd have never started this thread.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh no wait. Forget all that.

Welcome to the big dogs! If you can't hang--go back under the porch. (glow engines)
Old 11-26-2007, 02:04 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<<Here's a thought:
Go buy a KIT and build it. (assembling an ARF is NOT building. Never has been. Never will be) Some of you guys are acting like setting up a throttle linkage is akin to re-inventing cold fusion. Have you ever even built a KIT? Not a Sig or Great Planes kit where you get all the pretty pictures and the explicityly detailed instruction booklet thats 65 pages long. >>

Ha, you reminded me of the way I started in the hobby. Early 1970's in Argentina. We got kits from a Japanese company I think the name was Oki or something similar. Great kits, great fliers, but all you got was a blueprint and some instructions in JAPANESE on the blueprint (I still have some of the original blueprints somewhere)... With help form experienced modellers, you learned. Things became easier and easier with time:-)

Gerry
Electric Telemaster (ARF), Electric 1/4 scale RV6 (ARF), Curtiss Hawk Brillelli 26 (ARF), 1/4 Sig Clipped Wing J-3 w/G-26, 1/4 Balsa USA supercub Quadra 42, 80% done (another 70% to go) Balsa USA Fokker D-VIII, 1/3 Scale Morane Saulnier to be completely overhauled this winter (hopefully)
Old 11-26-2007, 02:26 PM
fritzdecat

Whats the thread all about ? Turning the clock back to the old days when you had to cut every rib out?

Its about manufacturing and evolution of the technology involved in this hobby.

Sending a message to the people that build these engines that it is OK for them to take some extra pains to add a throttle arm.

What wrong with that?

Those of you who want to stop them should go out and get yourself some erector sets and play with those little nuts and bolts til the cows come home.

Heh whatever makes you happy Sheeesh loonies
Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was OK models, imported by Global Hobby Distributors and Hobby Shack. One and the same at the time. The closest you'll get to difficult instructions now are half plans from Balsa USA. Both were and are great kit manufacturers but they required a brain and a little effort to complete.

Point, Not everyone installs a throttle servo in the same location. Next point, not everyone uses the same engine, with diminensions almost exactly the same as the next one in line. Next point, most gas engines were not originally designed or developed for model use. They were designed for weed eaters, chain saws, scooters, and other industrial applications where the carb was cable actuated. Next point, the carbs used on our model engines are the same ones used for the commercial/industrial applications. The numbers of engines sold for models is woefully under the number sold for other uses so that the way the carbs have remained.

Last point. Gassers are an step in the modeling evolutionary process, not for the missing link. If someone has problems setting up the throttle linkage on a gasser they've either never looked at one, never learned how to ask someone with experience a simple "how do I" question, or are too new to the hobby to have an understanding of how to do anything. If you haven't glued two sticks together gassers are out of your league. The effort involved is almost nothing so what's the problem?

Arf's are a lot of fun, save a lot of time, are cheaper than kit building, and get you into the air quicker. But you still have to be willing and able to put one together. The engine is part of the plane, so deal with it.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM
fritzdecat

"Gassers are an step in the modeling evolutionary process"

Thats right and guess what soon they will emply more options to accomdate the different styles of planes they will fit in

Whats wrong with that? Nothing. I forone welcome it.

The guy that started this thread was right some of these engines need to to evolve .Deal with it.

The rest of this argument is a silly dummy derby No one is stopping you from building your likage. ROTFL
Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
styk

A lot of you guys are totally missing the point i am trying to make To put the record straight I have never built an ARTF model in my life I Have been modelling for over 40 years now probably longer than some of you guys have lived on this earth and i can honestly say all my planes have been either kit built or built from plans So without being big headed i know a bit about building models All i am trying to say is that if the manufactuers are promoting and selling them as aero engines they should at the very least produce them with a throttle arm that moves in the right direction (thats all) without having to resort to fabricating bellcranks and things As somebody quoted It is not rocket science I will say again you do not get the same problems with normal glow engines Yes i have had problems with 4 strokes but at least the throttle arm moves in the right direction That is the only point i am trying to make
All the best Everybody
Styk
Old 11-26-2007, 03:25 PM
GerKonig

[quote]ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

<<That was OK models, imported by Global Hobby Distributors and Hobby Shack. One and the same at the time. The closest you'll get to difficult instructions now are half plans from Balsa USA. Both were and are great kit manufacturers but they required a brain and a little effort to complete.>>

That's it! The ones we got had only instructions in Jap:-(

<<Point, Not everyone installs a throttle servo in the same location. Next point, not everyone uses the same engine, with diminensions almost exactly the same as the next one in line. Next point, most gas engines were not originally designed or developed for model use. They were designed for weed eaters, chain saws, scooters, and other industrial applications where the carb was cable actuated. Next point, the carbs used on our model engines are the same ones used for the commercial/industrial applications. The numbers of engines sold for models is woefully under the number sold for other uses so that the way the carbs have remained. >>

Same with any powerplant, we instal the servos where ve can or want. Still, not an excuse not to provide an arm (Like Brillelli does) since the people WE buy the powerplant from KNOW what it will be used for. Again, many manufacturers do this, and more will see the light!

<<Last point. Gassers are an step in the modeling evolutionary process, not for the missing link. If someone has problems setting up the throttle linkage on a gasser they've either never looked at one, never learned how to ask someone with experience a simple "how do I" question, or are too new to the hobby to have an understanding of how to do anything. If you haven't glued two sticks together gassers are out of your league. The effort involved is almost nothing so what's the problem?

Arf's are a lot of fun, save a lot of time, are cheaper than kit building, and get you into the air quicker. But you still have to be willing and able to put one together. The engine is part of the plane, so deal with it.>>

And we see more and more big arf's that can (an should) be gas powered. Their number increase daily. In my humble, non-expert opinion, more people will use gassers THANKS to the arfs. These clients will start asking for throttle arms (like Brilelli's) and I think it is the right thing to do. After all, an industrial Zenoah power plant can be had for a fraction of what we pay for an Aircraft Zenoah. I thik we are just ripped off (again a personal opinion) because we are hobbyists, and importers and distributors screw us because they can, and they seem to have fun doing so, and all this while giving "so-so" customer service.

I think gassers are really easy to operate and they are for everybody. Not out of anybody's league. After all I guess at some point in time everybody used a gas powered lawnmower... Besides, big planes fly better, and for some of us, they are easier to see, if you know what I mean...

I fully agree with you that the "gas" thing was for most of us an evolution thing, but I am glad to see that it is not the case anymore, nor should it be:-)

Gerry
Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Goldfinger41

I think some of you guys are not looking at the big picture, instead you want to be ignorant and call names.
You see, the more people we have in this hobby, the more sellers/manufactures will gear up to our demands and make everything affordable.
This forum suppose to be to help people into the hobby,not discourage them, thump there chest, claiming built from plans(kit built) is the only way to go.

I am sure everyone on this thread is very capable of fabricating throttle/choke assembly to any gas engine.

I have Da, ZDZ, 3W , all of them plug and play.

I am getting ready to purchase ROTO 25, from what I researched so far, there will be some throttle activity, NO BIG DEAL!

But the manufacturer/dealer should be aware of this and regroup.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Goldfinger41

found some throttle linkage parts for ROTO.

for those that are interested

http://www.rotomotor.cz/rotomotor/en/35i-_-control.html
Old 12-28-2007, 12:51 PM
fritzdecat

Quote..But the manufacturer/dealer should be aware of this and regroup

thats what I was trying to say

Thanks for the throttle linkage link
Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

First gas engine so I have a question please . Shop suggested a Dubro 1 1/4 " arm on for the G26ei .
Ok first off , it will need to be cut because clearance is not possible regardless of the direction , ok no problem .
The bigger question is the middle of the Dubro steering arm is brass , the screw is medal , I am incerting the arm over the throttle nub (medal ) therefore breaking all the rules of "medal to medal " . I can go top surface and simply use a short traditional medal push rod with plastic connections on both ends .
Any suggestions ?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Do your research and you won't have this problem. I knew exactly how all my thottles were coming from all the engines I bought. Don't buy the ones that are not for you.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I figured it out on my own , I simply made a plastic to plastic connection with a 4-40 rod inbetween , but I did not use the Dubro arm . I went top side to the spring loaded arm , move the spring set to the closest hole reduceing most of the tension , then I simply added the pushrod assembly and I get full throttle movement with no special additions and no medal to medal connection .
Old 03-25-2009, 07:47 AM
ChopperMike

Throttle linkages aren't rocket science!
Exactly. With the DL-50 for example, bolt the little G-10 throttle arm that comes with it and you're done. No big!

Have you ever even built a KIT? Not a Sig or Great Planes kit where you get all the pretty pictures and the explicityly detailed instruction booklet thats 65 pages long.
Oh, so now we're saying that someone who builds a kit with a GOOD instruction manual isn't a "REAL" model builder!

Those of you who want to stop them should go out and get yourself some erector sets and play with those little nuts and bolts til the cows come home.
Hey, nothing beats playing with an Erector set!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 AM
liquid_TR

The engines were designed for aero use.. not the carbs.. carbs are either walbro, tillitson or chinese alternative of those brands. And none of those carb brands ever care for aero modelling as they have thousands and thousands of clients that produce machines with similar gas engines for industrial use.
Our gasser engine's carbs are maybe 0.1% or less of their production output.
If you were Walbro, would you bother to manufacture a special throttle linkage for the carb thats gona be used in tens of different aero gas engines? I dont think so..

For example, here in the picture you see the carb is rotated to suit my need. my servo location was on the right of the engine box, but the engine came with the throttle arm on the left. So I simply rotated the carb, put on an extension lever and worked it out. Took me 2 minutes to rotate the carb, rotate the carb pulse nipple and re-adjust the reed block position.

It took me just 20 minutes to hook up my throttle linkage and connect it to my throttle servo (cutting the proper length 3mm pushrod, adjusting position, attaching ball-links etc..) and about 20 minutes to manufacture manual choke lever with aluminum support. And Its done first class with zero slop and vibration. So its not a messy job done in a short time. Its all gona stay rock solid until I want to take them out again.

So its not plug and play, and its never gona be.

Quick thinking, creativity and some logic is all it takes to do such a job.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43062.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1165785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32261.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1165786  
Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 AM
tkg

Think of it as a modeling IQ test, wrong answer and you don't get to fly.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
ChopperMike

Think of it as a modeling IQ test, wrong answer and you don't get to fly.
Very well put!

Mike
Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
flygilmore

I simply used the blue Hitec digital servo arm on my DL50. I also just bought a G-62 a few weeks ago and the carb was allready setup from the factory for a straight shot to the servo-no bellcrank needed same on my G-26 a year or so ago as well. On the 62, I used the supplied white "arm" and it works beautifully and super easy to install. No complaints from me!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM
pe reivers

at one time, mvvs sold their 26cc engine with ball link fitted.
Too many people complained it was not the right size ball, so in the end they removed the item.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Actually, it's as simple as A, B, C.
A - ask
B - buy
C - customize

The nature of our game.