Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

bisson muffler smoke problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:45 PM
elvir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bisson muffler smoke problems

hy fellas i have a question about my bisson muffler , it is on a fuji 43 . to make it fit in a gp cap 232 i had to do some alterations . now i got it set up with slimline smoke pump and no matter how much or how little oil i put therw into the muffler it is seems to leave the bottem of the plane coverd with oil . i canot get dri oil here. so i am making my own with dessil and trany oil combo. could this be the reson for the unburend oil or is it normal to have oil under the plane when using smoke?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85168.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	822801  
Old 12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: bisson muffler smoke problems

There's no such thing as a clean plane when using smoke oil. Some end up not as wet as others because the owners use a better smoke fluid and they adjust the volume of oil entering the muffler. Tramsmission fluid would not be high on my list of smoke oil ingredients if I was making my own in any case. Usually less oil equals more smoke, but you will end up with an oily plane no matter what you use. You can't put a boat in the water and not get it wet....

You might want to change the title of the thread. You can't blame the muffler for putting oil on the plane. You did that when you elected to use smoke oil
Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 AM
elvir

Thank for the info i did not know that it was normal for the plane getting oily when using smoke, i am probably the only one in my country using smoke so i do not have any one to ask . Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. I was unaware of your singularity. If you intend to continue using diesel, which works ok, consider adding paraffin wax in block form to the diesel. The fuel will melt the wax and keep it in suspension. If anyone in your country uses wood forms coated with "concrete form oil" to make them easier to separate from the concrete after set up, see if you can obtain a few gallons of the oil to mix with the diesel. Your choice as to mixing paraffin with diesel and the form oil. You'll have to experiment with the ratios somewhat but for the wax use about 1/2 to 3/4 pound per gallon of diesel. For the form oil go with about 70% diesel and 30% oil. Move away from the transmission fluid first chance you get. All the mixtures will leave a film on the bottom of the plane, which is why some using smoke have long tubes on the muffler. The residue is also why so many don't use smoke at all. It's always messy! But it does look pretty neat. I can see where purchasing SuperDri smoke fluid might fall in the "unobtainable" category due to your location. Good to hear from flyers in Croatia. Truly this is an international sport and hobby.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:58 PM
elvir

Thanks i think i have some wax that my father gave me. Here every thing is done in concrete all the houses and buildings and so on, so i think i will be able to get the oil with no problem. i was born in New York and was living in New York before i came to Croatia. that is where my parents and wife are from . i rent apartments to tourists here in the summer and so i the winter i have some time on my hands to play . i brought all my toys so i can have some fun. i met some other friends and now we have grown to about 15 weekend flyers , and our main man like president , were talking about featuring along with the aero club in the capital Zagreb for holding a F3A event next year in the end of august , so it is getting better here , but we still have to go to Austria or Germany to get supplies and to get nitro fuel. I have my sisters send me things I need. Again thank you for the recipes I will try to get some oil in the morning when I go to the city.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:05 PM
elvir

I forgot to say that I brought 4 cases of trany oil atf here from cosco store for about it was $ 9 a case. Here a liter of castrol atf oil is 170 kunas witch is approximately $34 a liter, unreal .