Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

united hobbies gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:27 PM
joseph185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default united hobbies gas engines

Anybody has had any experience with these engine I would really appreciate the input thanks Joey
Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: united hobbies gas engines

A quick search will easily answer this question...

The are the same as LS Pro, GR Pro, HHT (or whatever) etc.

In short, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:02 AM
bako

I started yesterday brand new SV26cc. I'm new to gasserrs, and that is my first gasser egine, it starts fantastically, transicion is good and ideling too. can say nothing about top RPM, cause I don't have tachometer, but see this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DBCrqnQX_6U

though muffler comes loose and it needes retightening, and throtile arm on carburator ins aluminum and from vibration the hole for pushrod connector is enlarged a bit, I think nylon pushrod connector won't cause this.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 AM
skiman762

ORIGINAL: sinergy

A quick search will easily answer this question...

The are the same as LS Pro, GR Pro, HHT (or whatever) etc.

In short, you get what you pay for.

I take it your experiance was less then postive with this engine ?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Jake Ruddy

My experience personally? No I haven't had any... but as I said do a search for those engines... they are the same engine. You can read what I have read.

The 50 is way under powered missing about 800 rpms compared to the competition. I don't recall #s on the 26.. but it is quite low as well.. along with the 100s.. basically the entire line. I seem to recall somewhere around mid 7k with a 18x6 prop... other 26s on the market do 8500 - 9200 on same prop depending on which engine you buy. 1000 or more rpms is a huge difference in power.

Here is a thread on teh front page that is related.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6486808/tm.htm
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 AM
skiman762

Oh yeah I could see that being a problem
I bought the 45 they offer it's not the same as the 50
I haven't ran it yet but hope to soon if it turns out to be a pig I can always put it on a big cub of something
thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if one wants to power a Cub, or similar model without high performance in mind? The $150 price tag of the 26cc engine is half of the cost of a Zenoah G26. Why would anyone expect a $150 engine to produce as much power as a $300 engine? They would not. I have an Evolution 26GT, a Zenoah G26, G23 and an SV26. The latter powers my floater type gassers with ease and at a considerable savings. Gas engines in this size range are not considered a "high performance" option anyway. Want performance? Use an OS 1.60FX. Want to float around inexpensively? Well...<G>

I know that it is hard to believe, but not everyone cares about 3D flying.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Jake Ruddy

I hear ya Ed.. there are more things to life than 3D.. I do IMAC as well myself. However I know of atleast 3 stories where the same engines in a twin confirguation blew up within a gallon or so.

That being said how long do you think the 26 is going to last that is so cheap?

I am just encouoraging to look at all options... either way it's not my money so I don't care... but the thread was left unanswered for awhile and I shared my thoughts plain and simple.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power is nice, but reliabilty is even nicer. Mufflers cracking, falling off, bad ignitions, etc.... No thanks. Give me a proven engine design that has a solid reputation. I don't have the time to be someone's R&D Department.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 AM
driesbabe

I'm sorry, but you guys don't seem to get the picture.....

I have said it, and I will say it again: The SV line of gassers, are made by a Co. that is Called GRpro, now this guy will actually deny that he makes these engines. Now there is food for thought. UH was according to a reliable source not to get any more of these engines as the quality is not up to par.
Power or no Power, that is not the point. The 26cc that I had ran well, after quite some changes to timing and exhaust, although it was down on power and I have to agree with ED on that it was cheap and therefore one should not expect the same power as from a top $ engine.
I passed the engine on to a friend of mine that carried on testing, and within another tank of fuel the engine blew a gasket........... I'm with Sinergy on this one, you simply get what you pay for. Stay away from these engines.
Regards
Andreas
Old 12-13-2007, 03:03 AM
NM2K

Everyone is free to do as they please and to rationalize their purchases in any manner they choose.

If I get burnt by buying a cheap engine, it doesn't sting nearly as bad as when buying an expensive engine that has problems and the "manufacturer" goes toes up without notice. This has happened many, many times in the past, and somewhat recently too.

There is no concrete way of guaranteeing that you won't end up with a pig in a poke. Some of us are foolish enough to think that if we pay a lot for a product, it must be good. Sadly, reality is quite another story.

If the worst problem I have with the SV26cc engine is a blown gasket, I'll consider myself lucky. What about those paying lots of money for an engine that peels its liner and the distributor denies there is a problem, but then fixes it free twice, but after that you are on your own? The folks that bought these engines paid more for their engines than the Chinese copies that had bullet proof liners. In fact, some folks today are replacing their original defective liners with Chinese liners.

So, what is my point?

The old saying, "You get what you pay for", simply doesn't hold water. Every time I hear someone repeat that expression, I know I am listening to someone who lacks experience.

I bought several gas engines a while back from European manufacturers. Every one of them had a intermittently defective EI box. Every one of the manufacturers insisted that I was causing the problems. Miraculously, the Mark II ignition boxes weren't having problems, in spite of the fact that I treated them identically - which was as described in the owner's manual. Magic?

Everyone is welcome to state their opinion, Sinergy. I have no problem with that at all. Even if I disagree with their opinion. We can learn from each other. That is what forums are all about.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Ravivos

I would like to give my 2 cents as well.
I too bought a gasser from UH (XYZ 26), the only problem i encountred is a bad hall sensor connector, the connector was replaced with a JST and the problem was solved.
the engine works nice, spins a 17X6 prop at about 7700rpm with only half a galon through it.

I have a EVO 26GT, the engine works great, spins a 16X8 prop at 9000 RPM.
The EVO's EI broke down after only one galon of fuel through it.
the XYZ cost third of the price that i paid for my EVO.
I know that the EVO's performance are outstanding compare to the XYZ, but my experience told me that even a top $ engine can cause anguish.

I really do think that the RC prices (all rc products) are very high and doesnt reflects the true value of the products...
now, there are many alternative products that are absolutly great and the prices are reasonable.
so the sentence "you get what you paid for" isnt really true, it just a wrong impression determined by people with no expiriece with these products or people that were burnt by one.
you can get burn by a well known manufacure, but for some reason no one will slander it.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 AM
driesbabe

Ed, I am with you, on some points and as a matter of fact, I sell the Chinese copies you are mentioning.
I have looked at quite a few Chinese gas engines, and there are many that are actually good. I have had as much or more pleasure from a CRRC pro 45cc engine as I have had to fiddle with it to get it to run properly.

I now distribute the RCGF range of engines, and these are really good.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:16 PM
NM2K

I understand now. Thanks for the tip and warning.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

I posted this in another thread, repeated here:

2 problems have occurred on my FTL45 so far.

1. Leakage around carb mount.

The plastic carb mount would NOT stay flat when tightened against the engine. Finally sorted this out as a result of being unable to shut the engine down with full closure of the carb. Tried all manner of sealants with minimal success, ultimately the spacer would distort enough to allow air to leak into mixture. This leakage also created a problem with choking the engine--it wouldn't choke at all. I had to squirt gas into the intake to get it running. Looks like the fix is to replace the white plastic spacer with one of another material (I have a G45 phenolic spacer installed now which seems to have solved the problems). I'll be trying a carb spacer from RC ignitions next (which also rotates the carb 90 degrees like the original white spacer), would anticipate total elimination of the problem.

2. Broken exhaust tube.

I think it's been mentioned that the welding on the exhaust system is not exactly first-rate. It's true. The exhaust tube on my muffler literally fell off. I'm still running the engine, not a show-stopper, but not so good either. Exhaust systems that are designed for G45's will fit fine, so a retrofit would be a good move.

Besides these issues, the engine starts and runs and transitions beautifully, has at least the power of a G45, perhaps a bit more.
I figured there would be some issues along the way, but only relatively minor. I hope to operate it MUCH more after the winter thaw-----so far I've got about 4 hours of operating time accumulated.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 PM
joseph185

I believe from reading the forums on gas engines that all brands have thier own problems but what makes tham stand out alot of times is user misunderstanding or lack of knowledge of how these engines work. Some are experts at glo and think that they can cruz into gas but this is a different animal more complex than glo. HOPE I DID NOT OFFEND ANYONE MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM
joseph185

It seems that all the gas engines regardless of the name brand has its demons look at the DA troubles and the other major players is it user ignorance, lack of experience there of or the actual product that is troublesome because it seems that there are problems with all of them regardless of the brand. Hope I did not offend anyone.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:08 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

I hear ya Ed.. there are more things to life than 3D.. I do IMAC as well myself. However I know of atleast 3 stories where the same engines in a twin confirguation blew up within a gallon or so.

That being said how long do you think the 26 is going to last that is so cheap?

I am just encouoraging to look at all options... either way it's not my money so I don't care... but the thread was left unanswered for awhile and I shared my thoughts plain and simple.

----------

Don't get me wrong - I know that I am taking a chance and that I might have just thrown that money away. There is no denying that. Furthermore, if I have any problems, I'll be sure to report them on this forum. Conversely, I will report good results too. So far, so good. This is my second SV 26. The first was conscripted into duty before I had a chance to use it on my plane. My friend needed an engine NOW. <G>

While I spent the money on the SV 26cc engine and I really wanted their twin, I wasn't willing to spend $300 plus shipping with the same odds of being disappointed - though I do admit that it is still tugging on me a bit.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Jake Ruddy

That's cool... if no one tries then no one will know
Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
cwhipple

Anyone know what the dimesion is from the back of the motor to the front of the prop shaft? I am putting a FTL45 Gas engine in my QQ 86" Yak and want to know if I will need to shim motor. From firewall to front of the cowl is exactly 5".
Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

I just received my XYZ 50 A-Spec

Out of the box it started very nicely, had a respectable idle and transitioned nicely. With an 18-10 I pulled 7600 RPM on the second tank of gas mixed with AMSOIL at 50-1. At $199 for a 50cc gasser, I can only say that it must be given a try.

If you go by the theories of some on here we should be able to purchase an absolutely flawless, GM, Ford or Dodge product...... they charge high prices and have been doing it for years and years. BUT, even the EXPERTS still have problems getting it right all the time.

I have owned and operated a LHS and know for a fact that all can not be made happy even part of the time. What buyers really need to be aware of here is that the company is a chinese company and most are shipping out of HK..... If you expect instantaneous support then buy something else.... It just can't and won't happen. So far the support for me has been acceptable, I have waited a couple of weeks for help, but I am saving hundreds and dealing with a company that is half a world away. If you want or need instant support, then support your LHS and let them help.... but don't expect to get the product for the same amount of $$ as direct from HK. Your LHS has to pay overhead, wages and yes they too should be able to make a little bit of a profit (a very difficult thing to do)

Having said all of this, so far my xyz-50 is running great and my xyz-26 is arriving within a day or two and I expect no less.

Bill
Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
jstanton

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Here are a few pics of my SV-26 engine mounted to a CG Stinson. The engine runs greta but in no power house. It swings an APC 16x8 prop at 8200RPM. Starts very easliy and has a good transation. I had to install a choke because it did not come with one, but at $189.00 shipped to my door I am not complainning.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37147.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	865447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58967.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	865448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34740.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	865449  
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jstanton: Nice looking airplane! Is that a Stinson V. and where did you find the kit/arf? That engine looks like the ears have been braced with webs. That should help prevent breakage. A guy could add a aluminum plate in there too. I think I may try the wooden dowel stand-offs and aluminum plate method on one of my next planes. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 PM
jstanton

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Captn,

The arf kit is a CG Stinson that has been discontinued. I was able to aquire it from a friend who had it. I swaped a 540 edge I had for it. I am looking forward to flying it soon if the weather every clears up. The SV-26 is a nice little engine for the money but, one needs to do a little twinking to get it just right. If one has a plane that does not require a high RPM engine these are great for the job.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 AM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry guys I stated an incorrect prop in my post above, it was not an 18-10 it was a 20-8 at 7600 sorry!!

JSTANTON,

you are going to love that plane!! It is simply a great flying plane, I had one with a Saito 1.25 on it and it was a dream to fly. I currently have one that I installed a Zenoah G20 on but have not gotten to fly it as of yet.... If it is short on power, I will be changing over to a SV or XYZ-26

/bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.