Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 80 blue head first gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:34 PM
lovinero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 blue head first gas engine

this is my firts gas engine and i have a couple questions
i have one of these engines and i have never run it but if a fully broken ing motor and i have a couple of questions. they wer runing the engine at a 40-1

what oil shod I use??

whats the best prop ?

is it hard to start??

starting sequence?

thanks in advance for every thing.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: ZDZ 80 blue head first gas engine

Well I don't know what ZDZ recommend off the top of my head but anything 40:1 or 50:1 (as long as it's a quality oil) should be fine. Personally I am a big Penzoil Air Cooled supporter.. it's all I use. I normally run 50:1 for the ease of mixing.. 3 gallons of gas 8oz of oil

Props are personal preference.. a 26x10 or 26x8 should be fine. Have to do some reading and pick a brand.. depends what type of flying you want to do.

Shouldn't be hard to start.. personally I highly recommend getting a glove.. only have to be bitten by a 26" prop once to know a glove is well worth it

ZDZs seem to like a 5/5/1 starting sequence... bubbagates will probably chime in and expand on that. I can't remember exactly how it goes.. something like 5 flips full throttle, full choke.. 5 flips full throttle no choke, turn on the ignition, idle.. and flip.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:05 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to stick my nose in here, but there is only one way to start a two-stroke gasoline engine; throttle on idle, full choke, ignition on. Flip the prop til it fires, unchoke it and flip it til it runs, most of my engines it take 3 more flips for it to run. Above all never try to start one much over an IDLE!

For what it was worth, maybe $.02??

Dale
Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh Great One, sorry to disagree with you but opening the throttle to full during the initial choking sequence allows for quicker fuel flow to the carb, engine priming and start up.

Karol
Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Gus155

The 5-5-1 works like a charm.
5 flips full throttle, choked ign off.
5 flips full throttle choke off ign off.
set to idle and it goes first flip most times.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: GreaTOne_65

I hate to stick my nose in here, but there is only one way to start a two-stroke gasoline engine; throttle on idle, full choke, ignition on. Flip the prop til it fires, unchoke it and flip it til it runs, most of my engines it take 3 more flips for it to run. Above all never try to start one much over an IDLE!

For what it was worth, maybe $.02??

Dale
Well that's what I call the "DA method" and while it will work, it floods the ZDZ's requiring more flipping to clear it out....

The difference in a ZDZ and all the rest of your two stroke engines is that the ZDZ uses a rotary valve intake where everyone else uses reed intakes.

The reputation for hard starting comes from folks who don't realize the engine has to be wet to get it going when it's cold on the first start of the day.

Yes mine do seem to pull fuel better with the choke closed and the throttle wide open, and I run mine dry after each outing so it takes a bit more flipping to get the fuel up to the carb. I close the choke, wide open throttle, ignition off and flip mine for ten rotations, close the throttle to just barely above idle and continue to flip it until you hear what I call the "snotty nose" sound which is usually between three and five additional flips. Choke off, ignition on and they usually go the next flip. Subsequent starts of the day; if it's completely cooled off I give it anywhere from one to three flips choke on, you can hear it if it's ready, choke off, ignition on and they go next flip. If it's still a bit warm, or the ambient temps are warm, usually just turn on the ignition and give them a flip, they go.

On ZDZ, you MUST make sure the choke plate is closing completely or you'll be wasting your time. I've got several of these engines and they are quite a popular brand around here, they all have slightly different "personalities" but they all start pretty much the same way. Just try and remember that if it doesn't start, nine times out of ten it's because there's no fuel.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Gus155

ZDZ recomend a synthetic or semi synthetic 2 stroke oil and 93octane gas mixed @ 40:1.
anything from 32:1 to 50:1 should be ok, but would keep it @ 40:1
Old 12-29-2007, 06:27 PM
jeroli27
My Feedback: (9)

I've had a ble head for three years now, and it's been a great motor. After break in I switched to Dominator racing oil by Amzoil mixed 50-1 with no problems. for starting I always turn the ignition on flip it till it pops at full choke, then turn choke off and flip it at idle till it starts. The only thing you need to be carefull of on the blue head motors, is the blue coating is a little to thick and hinders cooling slightly, so make sure the engine is well ventilated.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
lovinero

thanks for the info every body i really appreciated

one more question (many others to come later)

what brand of oil can you recommend for the ZDZ ??

Old 12-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Mike Dooley/RCS

We have had very good success using the Yamalube 2R semi-synthetic at 32:1 or 40:1 max.....We do not recommend using thinner mixes....available on our website.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 12:01 PM
lovinero

thanks for the info mike