Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA50 inverted flight gets rich???!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DA50 inverted flight gets rich???!

I think I know who my nemesis is now. You're not worth the effort.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM
pliebo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my DA 50 is experiencing a similar problem. when inverted, it burbles/hesitates, then dies, caused me to wreck my PAU extra 330. I am now experimenting with different ideas, I soldered a tube into the atmosphere hole, and I'm going to try running a length of tubing into the fuse, and into a balsa box. don't know if it will work or not, but I'm a little hesitant to even put it into my new EF 88.5" Extra. that's just too nice of a plane to risk losing it over an engine that won't fly inverted. after all inverted harrier is one of my favorite manuevers! what to do, ? I think I might hook up the engine to a test stand that I can turn upside down and try , but then you won't know what will happen when in the air 250'. any other suggestions to eliminate this problem?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:07 AM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Why can't you fly them???
Old 12-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With my DA 50, I did all the mods and they did help, but after I cleaned the carb and got all the thread sealer off needles, it helped even more. I also used some gasket sealer on the carb to reed block gasket and it helped even more. The last step for me was to install a coreless servo for the throtle and set my endpoints up to 120 each and make shure the linkage is set up for that amount of travel. Now the engine is running prefect inverted or upright. But it about drove me to sell the engine before I got it running good. Another factor may be the breakin time. Mine had about 7 gallons of fuel before it started acting right. Now its pulling 25 lbs of thrust on a 22 X 8 with no midrange issues. On my motor, the low speed needle needed to be at least 1.5 turns open to run good once it warmed up. Any lower and it would tend to die at idle. Its open a little more now. I just adjust peek now.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:19 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ih8spatroyandastrohaug

Hey exeter, I must be in the minority too. All the DA50's I've been around have run great (dozen or so) so I must be at the right place at the right time.
Does you "Posting name have a message in it. Seems like it might???
Old 12-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Tired Old Man

I thought he was someone other that who he truly is. You can find out a lot when you know how and look hard enough. I don't know the guy personally but it would be nice to know what his problem is and why he hides behind a "handle".

I changed from the original Silversurfer becaause I was going to buy a hobby business and didn't need any copyright flak. I decided against the purchase later. The signature line was to keep people semi aware of who I was after the name change. It served it's purpose for the intended reasons but now I no longer need it.

Let the guy that hates me keep whatever he wants. He just looks like an idiot using what he has now compared to what he used before. Then again, he may just be publically reinforcing the validity of my assertions.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Lot of that going around these days. People hiding behind childish nicknames and posting false or no personal data. I changed to my name because when I first signed up for RCU it wasn't available. Now it is and now I got it. Oh well, maybe this guy will be able to get enough information out of all of this to actually get his engine running properly. As for your nemisis, says he just bought a DL on another thread so maybe his DA ain't running all that hot after all. Call Bob Kramer Pat and ask him who ordered a engine by phone on the 28th. Wouldn't be many right after Christmas.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6818721
Old 12-29-2007, 04:22 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad or mal-functioning carb could be the root cause. With my old carb, the engine is difficult to start after 1st flight, and likes to quit when transition to full on the ground. Purchased a new one from DA and all these problems went away.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:08 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Bad or mal-functioning carb could be the root cause. With my old carb, the engine is difficult to start after 1st flight, and likes to quit when transition to full on the ground. Purchased a new one from DA and all these problems went away.

does DA still use the same carb now as they did when the first ones came out?
ENJOY!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 AM
nonstoprc

ORIGINAL: closetguy

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

They will send free carb for you to try if the engine is within warranty. RC showcase will do the same. My DA performs as well as it can be!

does DA still use the same carb now as they did when the first ones came out?
ENJOY!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 AM
pliebo

ORIGINAL: Steve

With my DA 50, I did all the mods and they did help, but after I cleaned the carb and got all the thread sealer off needles, it helped even more. I also used some gasket sealer on the carb to reed block gasket and it helped even more. The last step for me was to install a coreless servo for the throtle and set my endpoints up to 120 each and make shure the linkage is set up for that amount of travel. Now the engine is running prefect inverted or upright. But it about drove me to sell the engine before I got it running good. Another factor may be the breakin time. Mine had about 7 gallons of fuel before it started acting right. Now its pulling 25 lbs of thrust on a 22 X 8 with no midrange issues. On my motor, the low speed needle needed to be at least 1.5 turns open to run good once it warmed up. Any lower and it would tend to die at idle. Its open a little more now. I just adjust peek now.

thanks for the info I'll try these things. I know the engine has potential, I guess I just have to be patient, and keep trying things, till it's right. just don't want to take any chances with my new extreme flight 88.5" extra 300.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 PM
DavidCYWPilot

I am new to the DA50. How do you set the high end mixture? 200 rpm rich of peak?

Also, on a full scale plane I used to fly years ago when I was an engineer for Beechcraft, one of the Magnetos would heat up just enough to cause it to gap slightly after about 3 hours of flight, sit, flight, sit,.... Could the orientation of the ignition module or a floppy spark plug wire cause these inverted maladies? If the spark plug wire pulls just slightly out of place it could potentially cause a problem also. So, You might check Ohm testing it and its shielding while pulling on it in various directions. Just a thought.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Tired Old Man

David,

About 100 or so rich of peak will do. Enough to hear that it's richer. A tach reading is not critical. The issue that some have with the DA 50 is generally a carb/induction thing. The up side is that a DA is an "anybody" engine. Meaning that anybody can use one with reasonable levels of success. Those that have the knowledge and ability to tune an engine correctly will obtain more performance than those who don't, but it will work for anybody. Of note is that proper tuning of any engine is what it takes to make any of them right. It's not possible to have an engine tuned out of the box.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave up posting about this topic....wait...I just did.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:55 AM
DavidCYWPilot

Thanks for the info. It was good reading! I have my DA50 on Hangar 9's 27% extra 260 - LOVE IT! The first day I flew it the winds were about 90 degrees crosswind and 15 gusting to 25 Mph. I probably could have landed across the runway, but it's pretty narrow. It handled great! I now have about 2 hours actual flight time on the plane and can do all the maneuvers I want (but have only tried one knife edge spin). I haven't had any trouble with the engine so far, but the midrange did run smoother after leaning the top end a smidge. Inverted harriers caused no problem. I have my spark plug wire completely covered in insulating plastic. I worried the spark might decrease if the shielding came in contact with any metal. It might still run, but could potentially have some EMF loss if that happened. I wonder if DA alters the spark wattage with changes in RPM? My degree is in Aeronautical engineering, but I did some electromagnetic compatibility testing for Beechcraft back in the 1980's.

Anyway thanks for the quick response. I'll try your method.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

i might be wrong but i think it is in the needles,i turn my low speed in a 1/16th at a time till i just got rid of the midrange burble.and all is good now uprite or inverted and plug runs a real light tan.and that is with pennsoil at 32-1 the best stuff on the earth.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:48 PM
DavidCYWPilot

Thanks, great info.
David
Old 04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
nonstoprc

ORIGINAL: closetguy

i might be wrong but i think it is in the needles,i turn my low speed in a 1/16th at a time till i just got rid of the midrange burble.and all is good now uprite or inverted and plug runs a real light tan.and that is with pennsoil at 32-1 the best stuff on the earth.
What is the low needle setting after the tuning? I have running the same oil as yours at 32:1. Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 10:51 PM
tkapfer

David,

I saw your post on the DA50 on the H9 27% Extra 260. That is what I am putting together currently.
Did you have any problems mounting the engine to the firewall box?
My standoffs for the motor look like they overlap partially onto the screws that hold the corner brackets in place.
Not sure if that is what's suppose to happen. I wouldn't think it would sit flat without adding smaller washers or something.

Any information on your building techniques or pictues would be awesome.

Thanks
Terry
Old 04-26-2008, 03:24 PM
DavidCYWPilot

ORIGINAL: tkapfer

David,

I saw your post on the DA50 on the H9 27% Extra 260. That is what I am putting together currently.
Did you have any problems mounting the engine to the firewall box?
My standoffs for the motor look like they overlap partially onto the screws that hold the corner brackets in place.
Not sure if that is what's suppose to happen. I wouldn't think it would sit flat without adding smaller washers or something.

Any information on your building techniques or pictues would be awesome.

Thanks
Terry
<yeah this is an interesting problem that <i solved easily. Sorry, for the funky typing here. <i am in Santiago, chile today using the hotels computer and the standard englsh Qwerty keyboard is a little different.

Regarding mounting the DA50, <i just measured the distance between the standoffs and divided by two then <i measured that distance from the reference lines on the firewall. <note from what <i could read from various threads here, there are some errors in the printed assembly manual. Drilling through the firewall impinged on the angle bracket and associated screws. So, <i just removed the affected screw(s) and drilled through the angle bracket. When I installed the engine and standoffs to the firewall <i just put a slightly modified washer and lock washer on the backside of the bracket and tightened her down. The same bolts that holds the engine standoff also holds the angle bracket in place. <I have about 4 hours of flight time on the model and so far there is no sign of fatigue or loosening. Good luck Terry.

<it´s a great model although mine seems to have a little wing twist in it that <i am not sure how to get rid of. <pulling sharply out of a vertical dive it tends to snap roll to the right. And <i have about a quarter inch aileron trim to fly straight and level. Other than that <i really like it.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
tunes079

I have the same set up. My fix was simply to modify the standoff washer to clear the angle bracket.