Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Da 50 starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:08 AM
AussiePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Da 50 starting

Hey guys, i may have a little problem not sure if its a problrm but tell me whatcha think
I had 1 flight, the first flight da started no problem flew landing and is running a bit rich so i leaned the bottom out.
Next Starts. then stop, Flick 1 time and nothing. Choke, then it POPS, chock off Nothing.

so i thoiugh maybe i leaned it off 2 much, so i put it on the original place And it pops when choke on then nothing!! flip 10 times and nothing, choke on POP, but it wont statrt while off choke
Bateeries are fine running 33-1 had about 10 flights with her!

Though the plane was in the aussie sun for about 20 mins about 44o im thinking it was JUST too hot to play!!

Should i be worried!?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Da 50 starting

After it pops, turn the ignition off, keep choke closed and throttle at full, flip it 2-3 times to get some gas in there. Then go to idle, choke off, ignition on, and see it will start. It might just need a little more prime. Could have some air in the line.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:25 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Check to see if you have gas in the tank! I was tuning my engine and it died at high throttle then I couldn't restart it. After playing with it for fifteen minutes I said I'll take it home and work on it. When I got home and looked at it, it was out of gas![sm=omg_smile.gif]
Old 01-12-2008, 03:25 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Edit: didn't read the first post completely, oops.

Check your fuel system and your carb screen first. How old is the engine?? Might need a re-build kit if the rubber has gone south.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Hawk21
My Feedback: (7)

check the pressure line to the carb
Old 01-12-2008, 05:56 PM
AussiePilot

Hey guys thanks for the reply, the motor has only had bout 8-9 litres through it

It Flew No probs first flight brought it down stopped it as usual, then couldnt restart it, i have a feeling the heat had something to do with it,
It had plenty of fuel in it as i always fill up before i fy
i just closed the choke now and gave it a few flicks! it is drawing fuel i can see that!!

i just dont wanna pull the motor off unless i got too, so i may take to the fiel one more time and play with it
Old 01-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

AussiePilot

If I read your question correctly, this is a hot restart problem. My DA-50 has always had a bit of a problem when hot restarting .... after I let the plane set for a few minutes. Its like the carb gets "heat soaked" or something like that. My engine acts like this ...... when hot and after setting awhile, it will restart, usually on the first flip and without choking but will not take throttle without dieing. Will again restart easily but the process just repeats. Long ago, I learned that after a hot restart, I just blip the servo controlled choke a time or two when throttling up and it takes off just fine. Its like the carb is vapor locked and choking gets liquid fuel back in the carb then it runs fine. Not a real problem once you understand whats going on. Have never had this sort of problem on any of my side carb engines but that rear carb on the DA gets no cooling when the engine is off. Maybe this isn't your problem but I thought I'd make the suggestion.

Oh yes, if the low speed is set a bit richer, it will restart just fine and take throttle ..... but then it doesn't run right at mid throttle so I'll just continue to hit my choke switch after hot restarts.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I too have had an engine vapor lock on me more than once, could also be a possibility to look at. Good post Truckracer.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:54 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same hot-start issue with my DA-50. It became worse with more time on the engine (about 1.5 years of moderate use). I finally ordered a new Carb from DA and the problem went away.

Strangely, my ZDZ40 (also with a rear carb) does not have the issue.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
mxwrench

Check the spark plug. Sounds like it is fouled.

Replace it with a new one and give it another try.