Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

brison 5.8 engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brison 5.8 engine

Ok, I have read and heard all the things on the zdz80 rv-j, the 3w85xi and the new da-85. What about the brison 5.8??? I am looking at that engine as well. How does it compare? Does anyone know the hoserpower ratings on it? I found it for the other 3 engines, but no the brison. I would like to know how it compares to the other 3.........thanks for any infi....Jeff
Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: brison 5.8 engine

it produces about 40 lbs of thurst

http://www.kangkeusa.com/gasengines.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on what your going to do with the 5.8. A simple way to look at it is that the Brison is more powerful and heavier and not nearly as s!xy as the others. If your doing 3D and Imac, people go nuts over light weight and the latest and greatest. If your into warbirds and scale we love the power and dependability. Pick your choose! If you are interested in the Brison check the for sale forum. There are great deals to be had on big singles.

Larry

Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Tired Old Man

Nuthin wrong with a Brison 5.8 in any application. It has always had the power! Many are not aware that an engine with a bit more mass sheds heat better than one without. Going light often means that you have to watch temps closer. The only disadvanatge to a big single is they come with a stonger vibration pulse. That's with any of them and not limited to one over another.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

any engine that is not deadsticking you is a good engine in my book
Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
[email protected]

I have noticed that the Brison engine is the only engine that still uses the intake port into the cylinder. All the other major brands have case induction. I raced motorcross for years and was when the Japs made the swap to case feed motors. IS this the same in the RC hobby???? Do it benifit these big RC models they way it did the Honda, yamaha bikes ect???? I am not really up to par on the RC stuff yet, and any help would be appriciated, Thanks Jeff
Old 01-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Tired Old Man

Look again, there are still others. Get the case ported engine with an incorrect reed and you will have misery forever as some have found out.

As for the benefits, it's similar to the perception that many have where they thing auto advance ignitions are better than mechanical advance. They're not but people think they are so mechanical, which is less expensive and simpler, doesn't sell. Until you start using tuned exhaust systems most reed valve (or case ported) engines don't do any better than the standard piston port. But people think the reed engines are better so guess what they buy. If you ever have the opportunity to run some of the 50 through 100cc engines side by side of the two varieties you will be surprised to see some of the piston port engines performing better than some of the reed valve products. Brison is one of the higher performers in the original configurations.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Brison closed up shop. Are they back in full swing?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Tired Old Man

The original Brison is long gone. Brison manufacturing is still being done by the same guy that was making most of the parts before, Arthur Leung. Some of the parts are now made over seas. Distribution rights are administered by Kangke, U.S.A. in New York. Brison service is being performed by someone else entirely. A little muddy but it works.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:45 PM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

Since When is Zenoah not a MAJOR BRAND !
Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Tired Old Man

It is, but I don't think they make anything for us in the 80 to 95cc class yet.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 AM
TxDiveBomber

Bill Jensen is the guy that does factory service for Brison. He can also repair all Sachs based engines.

www.bj-model-engines.com
Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM
STEVESRCWORLD
My Feedback: (23)

don't forget about the fpe 95cc's. i have had two used one and one new one. they are also great engines and look very nice also.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

PROBLEM!!! BJ's is closing shop this year. Now what? Now ware do get my Brison 50 serviced?<o></o>

<o></o>

PS: O.S.’s gasser uses neither of those carburetor intake types. They use the traditional front mounted carburetor and “hollow” crack shaft, that they use on there glow engines.