Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Side by side Photo's..DA & DL....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
lil-redrex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Side by side Photo's..DA & DL....

Thats not the latest version DL engine.

The latest versions conrod is lightened like the DA , has machined slots in it.

Check out post 1077 on page 44

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...44/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
dogshome

Treadstones HAS got the thick 'ears' though [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 PM
TREADSTONE

ORIGINAL: lil-redrex

..Thats not the latest version DL engine.
Incorect. You show a photograph of a different standard of connecting rod.

Which for some reason appears to have had the forging machined at either end ?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 PM
iflyjr
My Feedback: (19)

After seeing the photos I think I just might buy a different brand.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a DL 50 and mine runs very well. One of the reason's I bought mine was reports from knowledgable engine people taking the DL 50 apart and commenting on the quality of it's parts. I wonder if these DL 50 engines are built with different quality levels/materials and castings. I noticed this several years ago with Chinese made machinery and more recently with some of the ARF airplanes that look identical but with different materials in their construction supposedly coming from the same plant.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:10 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

You can look at the photos, and then you can run one and i will tell you the proof is in the pudding. My Dl runs very well as does another at our field.

I have herd it told that a smoother port does not make engines run better its the uneneness or the swirls that cause turblence which helps in the mix of fuel and O2.

I know this to be true on dirt bikes.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

I have herd it told that a smoother port does not make engines run better its the uneneness or the swirls that cause turblence which helps in the mix of fuel and O2.

I know this to be true on dirt bikes.

There is surface roughness and then there is surface roughness... The DL shown has terrible ports and could very much stand a clean up. The DA ports are about right from the looks of it. You want a matte surface finish, not what you see above on the DL. This goes for any intake ports in any internal combustion engine where there is wet flow. The exhaust ports typically do work better with a shiny finish, due to the dry nature of the flow.

I don't know if this scares me off a DL, there are simply too many good reports here to ignore it. But it is enough to convince me that a pre-run teardown would be mandatory just in case...

Mark
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Mark - I'd agree, to my limited experience in such nuances of flow control/port design.... but.... we do not know if this is a "current" DL 50 version as we would see imported into the US or not.... so.... it may not be the same..... or it could be worse....

But my samples are doing just damn fine, for sure....
Old 01-25-2008, 12:12 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Unless someone comes out with another set of pics from an engine purchased from the authorised distributor we can never be sure. There are rejects,local consumption only models and export standard models like beer and arf planes from china. Treadstone did say the engines were acquired privately so are they export standard models if differences do exist that is?
I'm not questioning the legitimacy of the pics just wondering if there are different standards of quality if the engines are purchased from different sources.
United hobbies are selling the engines at a lower price at $325/-. Need to know if the finishing is the same or is it not "export" quality if that exists.
Just thinking aloud.
My reasoning is that the "gurus" and "experts" on rcu are mightily impressed with the DL and now we're seeing pics that show otherwise.
I would readily buy any chinese engine if they are good value for money but our club's experience with chinese made engines has been abysmal.

The Super Powerful Engine 26 was a letdown and the Consistently Rough Running Crap 26 was another.Sorry for the pun but thats how I feel.

I reckon things should improve with more players coming in as even now rcexl ignition systems have a garnered a good reputation.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 AM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: togatoga

My reasoning is that the "gurus" and "experts" on rcu are mightily impressed with the DL and now we're seeing pics that show otherwise.
I would readily buy any chinese engine if they are good value for money but our club's experience with chinese made engines has been abysmal.
Indeed, Ralph Cunningham gave one his once over and was very complimentary. And Ralph does not give away praise lightly or accept shoddy work. I have one of his G-62 conversions and his workmanship is first rate and I believe he expects the same from others.

Mark
Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: Stick Bender

Just seeing more of the DA-50 makes me wish I could afford one. But for us poor guys the DL-50 gets us in the same power/weight range with something we can afford. I'm still kicking it around in my head, my state tax refund will almost buy a DA. But I still need $500 in servos too

Decision, decisions....

At least I have choices, anyone wanna make the decision for me?

Scott
Buy quality and you'll only cry once.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 AM
dogshome

Spanners and keys out then
Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Guys, do we really have a big problem here even if the machining work is not of the very high standard of a DA or other units for that matter. As long as it does not affect the structural integrity of the engine, and the engine performs well, as so many user reports suggest, don't you think it is okay.

Plus at this point in time the jury seems to be still out as to wether the sample being inspected is in fact similar to the units currently being offered on this side of the pond, and judging from Ralph's very favourable comments when he inspected one not too long ago gives me the impression that it might not be apples to apples.

Karol
Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Magne

I work for a company that has a manufacturing facility in China.
(Completely different product not related to this hobby.)
The factory is an assembly shop, which purchase components from a number of different suppliers. So even though the end product is supposedly the same, and markeded under the same name etc, the individual components are made different places. This may possibly also be the case for DL, in which case the "same" part may come from a number of different sub-suppliers. There may therefore be good, and not so good copies, not necessarily because they are intended for different markets, but simply because the individual components have been manufactured different places. I am pretty sure DL don't "make" all the parts themselves, but purchase from sub-suppliers. (Like most other manufacturers do, in fact.)

Magne
Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

i been wanting to give this engine a try,but it is a real hit or miss.just seems that there is no standards of quality. for me they will need to get the spark plug hole to fit the plug better.as often as we take the plug out to look at it, and see what color it is.this is something that i want to fit right.

you shouldn't half to worry about where the engine is bought from to figure out if you have a good one or not.

but DL has made improvements, (standoffs,heavier engine lugs).it will just take time to get the bugs work out.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Pistolera

Mine should arrive today, so I'm am anxious to see what it looks like compared to the pics posted. I plan to pull the cylinder and take a peek inside as soon as I find a hex wrench long enough to get to the bolts. Will try and post some pics if I get the time. Mine is coming from Bob at DLUSA in Irving, TX.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
TREADSTONE

ORIGINAL: closetguy

....i been wanting to give this engine a try,but it is a real hit or miss.just seems that there is no standards of quality.

....you shouldn't half to worry about where the engine is bought from to figure out if you have a good one or not.

.... DL has made improvements, (standoffs,heavier engine lugs).it will just take time to get the bugs work out.
Fair and valid points...

More photo's and some figures later...
Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Pistolera

Mine should arrive today, so I'm am anxious to see what it looks like compared to the pics posted. I plan to pull the cylinder and take a peek inside as soon as I find a hex wrench long enough to get to the bolts. Will try and post some pics if I get the time. Mine is coming from Bob at DLUSA in Irving, TX.
Can't wait since he's the main distributor here.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:10 PM
dogshome

I agree. Piecemeal with parts subbed out.

Treadstones cylinder and head is nasty compared to mine. I doubt the performance is much different, but that head bowl is Eeyuk! [:@]
Old 01-25-2008, 03:18 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Great thread concept, very informative. Based on what I am seeing here so far, DA would be getting my money.

Keep the photos coming, this is great!
Looks can be very deceiving. Take ports for a example. You would think a shinny smooth port would be the best. Not so. My Cousin built 2 cycle racing engines and held the WORLD,s fastest record for drag racing snowmobiles for 10 years. He had a air flow device to check ports. A mirror Finnish hinders the flow ...air can cling to it. Just the right surface is what you need. Oh... By the way....I can post a photo that was in the paper about the world records my cousin held. He is gone now and sadly missed by many. Capt,n
Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

one more thing thanks for the side by side photo's.i am surprise it hasn't been done before.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM
TREADSTONE

..Thought i would get the NIB DL out and have a look in that...sourced privetely in the U.k. but one of the first with the thicker mount lugs....compair picks the NIB is the left pic..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61018.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	860766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53883.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	860767  
Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received my DL-50 several weeks ago from Bob at DLUSA. My plug threads look fine. The plug seems to fit normally.
John

EDIT-> Added close up

Name:	Ur52412.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	860776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33897.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	860777  
Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
TREADSTONE

....NIB DL seems to have a Third standard of Conrod...the oil slots are diffrent...

Name:	Qo41222.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	860778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65030.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	860779  
Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
TREADSTONE

...Measured the ring clearence...exactly the same on all three pistons 0,6mm..

Name:	Tr50739.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	860796  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.