Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

42 Percent Products Opti-Kill opinions??

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

42 Percent Products Opti-Kill opinions??

Old 05-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 42 Percent Products Opti-Kill opinions??

I installed the 42% switch in my Z 20 EI powered Dragon lady.....after 3 flights engine would not start, red light not on....(both switches on)

Bypassed the 42 % switch and pluged ignition battery directly in to Fuslage mounted switch engine fires and starts on 3rd flip....

End of story, still flying in that configuation

Have Smart Fly on order
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 PM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 42% Opto on my 50cc Aeroworks 260 and my TF P-47 Tarheel Hal. Wouldn't be without one. It saved me last summer from some front end damage on my Aeroworks. Great product and company.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
cabinwacoman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to stir the pot here, but I have a question.  It seems that there have been some problems with the kill switches as admitted by the manufacturer.  I believe the problems are unlikely and they do appear to have great customer service.  My issue is that customer service will not rebuild a zirolli corsair.  Thousands of hours go into some of these models. They are not all arfs.  I really do not care at all if my faulty z-kill switch is replaced.  If I don't make it back to the field, the war is lost.
So, trying to be positive, what has 42% found to be failing in the very  few units that have failed?  Vibration issues?  Wiring?  Over heating? Have there been changes made to the unit since these failures?  Or, did none of the failed units make it back to 42% for them to trouble shoot.  That in my opinion is the real issue.  Look at full size a/c.  When something breakes they investigate and insure that mode of failure will not happen again.
I don't care what will be replaced on warrenty.  I want to know that the unit is reliable enough for me to trust.

I just purchased a z-kill for my Zenoah GT-80. 

Can i trust it?

My two cents.

Neal
TX
Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 PM
rgoldy

Put a choke servo on it too.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Aalaadin

Originally Posted by rgoldy
I now have 3 of them. I did get one that after running the engine full bore for about 45 secs it started running crappier and crappier until it finally quit. Traced it back to the kill switch which they replaced and it works fine. Don't really understand why it did what it did but the service was good.
I had the same experience... I'll never buy another 42 Percent Product... Just can't trust them in my planes.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Aalaadin

Originally Posted by ROCKY1405
Hi again, guys. Ken offered to send me a new unit but I declined. He thinks the problem was caused by a programming issue with my radio and I disagree because it did not show up in any way until the airplane was in the air for the first time with the Z-Kill switch on-board so I think it was a vibration caused problem. Luckily, my model is salvageable and I'm a bit wiser about the advisability of using remote ignition kill switches.
[]

Yes I, having the same experience also concluded it's a vibration issue. I have used all of the other brands of optic kills since then, including one in the airframe that was fitted with the 42 percent unit. No other brand had a problem like this.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Far cheaper and work just as good.... I have them mounted on a piece of foam servo tape and don't have any problems with them at all

https://www.valleyviewrc.com/rcexl-opto-gas-kill-switch
Old 09-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Aalaadin

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Far cheaper and work just as good.... I have them mounted on a piece of foam servo tape and don't have any problems with them at all

The one in your link is actually my preferred brand. Never had an issue with them yet. Definitely better than the 100% failure rate I had with the 42 Percent Prod one I had. (Incidentally I still have the 42 Percent one that failed me. I'm experimenting with ways to stabilize it as I believe it is susceptible to vibration because of the truly hokey case-less design, and I just hate throwing money away lol)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned the Tech Aero IBEC. Many consider it the standard of the industry for dependability and reliability. No case but the way it is made, it really doesn't need one.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is 42 Percent Products still being made?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 AM
Aalaadin

Wink

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
Is 42 Percent Products still being made?
It is still listed on ThunderboltRC.com but it now says discontinued. But more importantly the lesson here is not which to choose, rather it is sometimes "less expensive" really does just mean CHEAP! While looking into lessening the effect of vibration on mine, I discovered the reason it failed. There was a dry solder joint which had separated. I resoldered it and now the unit functions again. I will enclose it into a little plastic box as a case so that the wire joints can't flex, and put it back in service.

BEWARE.... SOMETIMES CHEAP STUFF IS JUST CHEAP STUFF!