Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

LS Pro Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Pro Engines

Anyone have had any experience with LS Pro Engines. They are advertising a new [link=http://www.lsproengines.com/default_019.htm]57cc[/link] engine that looks very much like a DA. Their introductory price is of $395 dollars which is quite competitive.

I wonder is these folks will provide decent service and parts support for their product. Anyone running one of this engines please let me know what to expect from this company. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: LS Pro Engines

The new engine line from LS Pro are made by TomyRC and look to be some pretty good engines. Ralph Cunnigham at RC Ignitions has been reported to be the location where warranty service will take place if needed. That's a real good place to go if and when anything comes up. He has also been checking out some of the engines prior to their release to the public and so far things look pretty good.

All the above was provided to me by Larry Steigle, the LS of LS pro. These are not the engines that LS originally started with. It wouldn't hurt to verify that directly with LS Pro.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 AM
sean sutherland
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

The new engine line from LS Pro are made by TomyRC and look to be some pretty good engines. Ralph Cunnigham at RC Ignitions has been reported to be the location where warranty service will take place if needed. That's a real good place to go if and when anything comes up. He has also been checking out some of the engines prior to their release to the public and so far things look pretty good.

All the above was provided to me by Larry Steigle, the LS of LS pro. These are not the engines that LS originally started with. It wouldn't hurt to verify that directly with LS Pro.
Ditto Ditto , Larry still stocks the good engines from his first line and they are good, but these new ones look like they are going to be awesome!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Pat

Thank you for the information.

These engines seem to be from Chinese manufacture and I don't say this in a derogatory way. The Chinese have been producing for some time now the major components to many quality engines assembled in the US of which I would not mention brand names to avoid the repercussions. I am sure the Chinese can maintain the same level of quality at a much lower cost due to their lower labor expense. And as long as the designer/distributor insists on the manufacturer to use quality materials these will be as reliable as many current "made in USA" gas engines.

The new LS57 looks to me like a DA clone, at least externally. The introductory price seems very attractive indeed, but I will like to know more about the engineering design. For example; What type of fuel induction, is it rotary valve or reed valve? How many induction ports, bearing type and amount, muffler options, etc.

The LS web site is somewhat primitive and uninformative when it comes to details. I don't mind risking my hard earned coins on an unproven design, as long as I know what I am paying for. When I consider purchasing any type of engine I take the following as "Must Have" conditions to qualify it as possible candidate:

#1 A solid state of the art engineering design (Somewhat a measure of its expected reliability).
#2 Dedicated service support, and well stocked parts availability.
#3 Reasonable warranty provided by the USA distributor.

Notice I didn't included price in my conditions since price can be a relative measure of the above stated conditions. For example, ZDZ engines are in my humble opinion the best engineered gas engines manufactured today. And their parts are readily available through RCS. But when it comes to service support.....well you need a lot of patience, to say the least. The same holds true with the Evolution engines. You will get better service support from the Canadian distributor (MVVS Canada) than from Horizon.

On the other hand there are small family operated engine representatives of the likes of Dick Bennet at B&B Specialties and Scott Ellingson of Brillelli Engines that will bend their back over to please a customer, and offer a warranty on their products that's second to none. Their products are not the most powerful, reliable, and glitzy ones out there but they are a great value for your dollar. After all they don't have to support the huge overheads of some of the big distributors, mostly the lavish corporate headquarter offices and expensive Madison Avenue advertising.

I hope that LS Pro update their web site and start providing more relevant information for their products. It seems to me that this new line of engines could become very competitive in todays overpriced gas engine market.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Tired Old Man

It's a reed valve induction design. Beyond that I cannot say. The quality level is high enough that at least one other quality importer is contemplating becoming a distributor. It is of Chinese origin but it's from a manufacturer different from the original LS manufacturer for much better quality than was originally provided. Tomy has had to learn his lessons the hard way and it appears that he may have learned them well.

In discussions I had with Larry I was informed that Ralph Cunningham had some of the engines for examination purposes and that the preliminary findings were quite good. I was also informed that Ralph will be the actual point where customer service will be performed if and when needed. You can't go wrong there. If you need actual performance info I suggest calling Ralph Cunningham at RC Ignitions. You won't find him at RCU anymore, but he can be found at the site where they fly giant planes.

I don't know that actual engineering drawings will be made available. If it was my design I know I wouldn't do it simply to prevent easy copying. If it cost me a sale that's the way it would go. At least I would still have an engine to sell rather than have provided someone with a means to cut me off. External dimensions would be as far as I would go.

I think you'll find that the new 57 will end up alongside 3mm and DL for quality and performance. If I had a need for another 50-60cc engine I would buy one. Several other sizes will be released to the public quite soon.

Muffler options are something that take time to come up with. It has a muffler but varying designs take time and are driven by consumer input. I don't know of an engine that was released with more than one muffler design. Options came later.

I think that the Brillelli line of engines are quite high in power and reliability and not lagging behind anyone in those regards. In some areas quite the opposite is true and they are leaders in the performance pack. They still have to make a living off of the operation so prices will remain higher than engines produced where the cost of living and wages are tremendously lower, with zero government regulations that apply to labor or the enviornment.

As for over priced, it's my opinion that it's a relative term. The higher priced engines I've purchased over the years are still performing with high power levels and overall performance and reliability excellence. That made them worth the price paid since I have had zero need to have any customer service work, nor have I had to send them back for changes due to potentially defective parts. There is one exception, a BME 115, but that should be resolved quite soon.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 AM
mistydee0
My Feedback: (103)

Pat,
You are right about the engine being released with one muffler design. Tomy is working on a two piece header nuffler to be offered at a later date. We have disgussed a few options for headers and also some sort of canaster- pipe combination for the users that will require one. Ralph has commented on a few small changes he thought would enhance the engine and Tomy has taken them into consideration. He really wants to do it right. This MT 57 engine has really started a BUZZ . I get my first shipment at the end of this week, and they are all sold, and some are pre-paid.

Larry LS PRO ENGINES
www.lsproengines.com

AIRBORNE RANGER
Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 PM
AirTech

I
don't know that actual engineering drawings will be made available. If it was my design I know I wouldn't do it simply to prevent easy copying. If it cost me a sale that's the way it would go. At least I would still have an engine to sell rather than have provided someone with a means to cut me off. External dimensions would be as far as I would go.
Pat,

External dimension will be suficient for me to start planing on the best platform to mount one of these engines.

At the rate they are being snatched off LS I think I should place my name in the hat for the next batch.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Tired Old Man

I would. Send Larry a note for the dimensions. Larry and TomyRC have both been very kind and sent me a lot of cad drawings of the engine and they look very good. Without dimensions of course The 57 is not the only engine soon to be released. There is a straight 50 as well with a big twin currently in development.

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been quietly holding on to this stuff for a long time[8D]
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 PM
AirTech

Tank you Pat,

Any more information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
perche

Uh....i so confused

Is LS pro the same as GR pro?

http://www.fxhobby.no/search/detailview.asp?pid=1831

Thomas
Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 PM
mistydee0

perche,
So you are not confused. LS PRO ENGINES imports engines. At one time we we 100% importer of GR PRO engines from China. We have dropped must of the GR PRO line and have gone to a NEW SUPPLYER that makes the MT42, MT50, MT62 and now the new and powerfull MT57 that just came out recently. We are a distributor of this MT line of engines. We are setting up dealers, and service and parts facility here in the USA for warranty and service work. I hope you are clear about LS PRO ENGINES roll in the
business of selling engines.
Larry LS PRO ENGINES

www.lsproengines.com

AIRBORNE RANGER
Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 PM
mistydee0

Air Tech,
The new MT 57 engines are in!!!!!!! The first shippment went out the door like a flash. I just got another shipment in yesterday and they are going fast. These engines are going to be the GIANT KILLER. Tomy R/C has a real honest to goodness
PURPOSELY MADE FOR R/C ENGINE. This is the real deal.

Larry LS PRO ENGINES

www.lsproengines.com

AIRBORNE RANGER
Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mistydee0

Air Tech,
The new MT 57 engines are in!!!!!!! The first shippment went out the door like a flash. I just got another shipment in yesterday and they are going fast. These engines are going to be the GIANT KILLER. Tomy R/C has a real honest to goodness
PURPOSELY MADE FOR R/C ENGINE. This is the real deal.

Larry LS PRO ENGINES

www.lsproengines.com

AIRBORNE RANGER
Is there a steady supply of these MT 57's available? I'm wondering if spare parts would be available in the future should the need arise.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 PM
mistydee0

mrbig,
We have a large inventory of stock [40] MT57 at present. We have every part in stock and If I do not have a part
Ralph Cunninghan of RC IGNITION will have it. We are here to stay. Tomy is in the process of opening a service center in Florida.
Customer will have the choice to send engines to LS PRO ENGINES, Cunningham or the new service center in Florida wnen it is opened.
Right now turn around time is a week.

Larry LS PRO ENGINES
Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 PM
mistydee0

Inventory sale!!!
Enyone interested in buying enything from Larry's stock please call at 732-244-7809 or email me at [email protected]. Nice big airplanes that he build himself... for sale!!! engines, propellers and much more....Airplanes can't be shipped..only local pick up.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Only parts I still have are some cracked cases from before Tomy opened his own website in Florida...Don't associate me with Tomy....For anything.....I would/will do anything for Larry, but not Tomy....