Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Favorite engine?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Favorite engine?

ORIGINAL: BTerry

My favorite is also the Taurus TS-52. Smooth, powerful, ultra-reliable.

Second favorite is the DA-100. Easy to use, good power, and smooth. The DA wins on 'coolness factor' too.

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

PS: Pat service is an issue. Neither of my ZDZ's needed service until I totally drove one into the dirt doing a double waterfall way too low. I called to get a quote and decided not to fix it ($300 for a new cylinder head and carburator and only assuming 1 hour of labor, fagetaboutit !!!!).
My DA-100 plane was shot down a few years ago by a guy on the same frequency, and the plane landed wings level and slightly nose down. Sent the DA back for service, they replaced the crankshaft and returned it about a week later. Total bill for service? Free? Hardly! It cost $385 including shipping. You break it, you buy it.

p.s. the guy who shot down the plane, felt horrible about it at the time, and promised to pay for it, disappeared and won't return phone calls. Cost us about $2k to replace the airframe and fix the engine. That was 2 years ago.
what did you expect? - in the real world, very few of the people who cause problems -- are willing to pay for them.
My favorite engine - the ZDZ80 J on a full pipe
power/weight smoothness etc- I have seen nothing to touch it
an honest 6700 on the ground on a standard 27x10 Mejzlic- 7200 in level flight I also have run it 8400 in flight on 26x10 and large in cowl Pitts muffler -way less power but lots of rpm.
How do I know - I use the recording ignition and read that . very accurate.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:56 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yes, the pair of ZDZ 80 RV engines on cannisters we have are also fabulous. Seeing Dick on here reminded me of those engines. BTW, they turn within 200 rpm of the DA 100 on 26" props. I haven't yet tried them on the larger props. They each weigh around 2# less than the DA-100 too.

The DA-100 has better spool up capabilities than the zdz80RV, but Dick's RV-J is a real monster.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I'm the odd guy out. My favorite is the BME110, followed by the 115 on a 3 needle carb. The only reason I say favorite is because they are the lightest, have the most power to weight and run well for me. All the other engines I have owned from Zenoah to 3W all run well too. I haven't had a lemon yet, from any manufacturer. (Knock on wood)
Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have much less experience than many of the posters, but from my perspective, my favorite so far is the Taurus 52. I have not needed to send any of my gas engines in for repair, so I'll include accessibility and responsiveness to questions in my definition of service and Bill at Taurus gets an A for that.

-Ed B.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

I only have 2 gassers ...a Brillelli 26 conversion that I think I will like(less than a gallon through it with a couple teething problems that I think are sorted out) and a Hansen-converted G-26 that has been a wonderful engine
Mike
Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 PM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

I've owned and flown Da 50, Dl 50, 3MM/TOC, Brison and Taurus. First comes the new and old Brison, the Taurus, the DL, then the DA.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm relatevely new to gassers and have had very little exposure to anything other than my Zenoahs, all of which have been flawless in their operation. My favourite among them is a Ralph Cunningham converted G23 which like a Timex, just keeps on ticking.

Karol
Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot
Absolute favorite -- a lightened G62 on electronic ignition. They just never quit. Never had to have one serviced for any reason.
Thread over.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Tired Old Man

Appears that, in alphabetical order, Brison, Taurus, and Zenoah are cleaning house.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Appears that, in alphabetical order, Brison, Taurus, and Zenoah are cleaning house.
Hmmmmm ... all are good, simple design, piston port induction engines .... and none are the cheapest available in their size range. None have mounting lugs that break off if you look at them cross eyed ... in fact all mount on a radial mount or flat plate. I guess simple design and quality counts for something after all.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM
altavillan

Thats because the 3W DA and ZDZ folks quit this place when all they hear is their engines getting badmouthed in favor of the latest greatest cheapest import.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: altavillan

Thats because the 3W DA and ZDZ folks quit this place when all they hear is their engines getting badmouthed in favor of the latest greatest cheapest import.
OUCH, that hurts! Talk about stirring the pot.

I voted for the DA100 and I'm still around here. To me so far, the DA100 has been the best all around engine that I've had. Reliable, easy to adjust, and smooth. I've had two of Ralph's G62, and though they are fine engines, mine always had a bit more vibration than I like. And yes I know how to balance props both directions.... For a weekend flyer, that's no problem. But when you start flying 3 or 4 times a week, with 5 or 6 15 minute flights, the extra vibration tends to take it's toll on things. A good while back Ralph sent a G62 to RCBugman to use at his work. He had the same problem with the vibration. Ralph was going to put a 3rd bearing in it for him, but I never heard how that turned out..... I had two DA50's as well...... Couldn't keep the darn things running at low rpm, inverted. I think several can agree with that problem. [:@]

If I ever drop back down to the 50 cc class, first on my list to try will be the Taurus, followed by the DL. No brand loyalty here.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
RTK

I agree with Nogyro's "no brand loyalty". I find a product that fits my application. If it runs when I want and how I want that is basically all I am after, brand name badges really mean nothing to me.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

ORIGINAL: BTerry

My favorite is also the Taurus TS-52. Smooth, powerful, ultra-reliable.

Second favorite is the DA-100. Easy to use, good power, and smooth. The DA wins on 'coolness factor' too.

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

PS: Pat service is an issue. Neither of my ZDZ's needed service until I totally drove one into the dirt doing a double waterfall way too low. I called to get a quote and decided not to fix it ($300 for a new cylinder head and carburator and only assuming 1 hour of labor, fagetaboutit !!!!).
My DA-100 plane was shot down a few years ago by a guy on the same frequency, and the plane landed wings level and slightly nose down. Sent the DA back for service, they replaced the crankshaft and returned it about a week later. Total bill for service? Free? Hardly! It cost $385 including shipping. You break it, you buy it.

p.s. the guy who shot down the plane, felt horrible about it at the time, and promised to pay for it, disappeared and won't return phone calls. Cost us about $2k to replace the airframe and fix the engine. That was 2 years ago.
what did you expect? - in the real world, very few of the people who cause problems -- are willing to pay for them.
My favorite engine - the ZDZ80 J on a full pipe
power/weight smoothness etc- I have seen nothing to touch it
an honest 6700 on the ground on a standard 27x10 Mejzlic- 7200 in level flight I also have run it 8400 in flight on 26x10 and large in cowl Pitts muffler -way less power but lots of rpm.
How do I know - I use the recording ignition and read that . very accurate.

I thought I made a good decision. $300 to fix a $600 engine? FAGETABAOUTIT !!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM
RTK

Still cheaper than buying a new one
Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I thought about it. And I thought that maybe the bearings were damaged from the hit, and maybe the crank was bent. So I just bought a new throttle arm for a $2.50 and jb welded the cooling fins that I knocked off. I still haven't run it. I don't have a plane for it since I totalled the one the engine was in.

Anyway, my ZDZ 50NG's have been very good to me.....as long as I don't send them into the dirt. Parts ain't cheap.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 PM
RTK

Heck, I've knocked off a few fins in my time too. Most of the time everything ends up OK. Bearings are usually never hurt and if you bend the crank send it to rciginitions, he will straighten it for about 30 or so bucks.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

I'm kind og new to gas engines but my collection is growing.

My first engine was and is a US 35. Now there is a rock solid running engine.
It will set there and idle untill the cows come home.
Next was a 25cc Toro built by Scott E. This is one sweet little engine perfect for the 60 size Tiger Moth it's on.
My G-62 with CH ignition is a fine running engine. It's in my +100" in Mr. Mulligan.
Never a complaint or whimper from her.

But my favorite and newest engine is my rcignitions converted 62cc Twin.
It's an Echo chainsaw and has been the best running engine since I put gas in it.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/80HMB3SYWNYB42GR

I do have a 72cc Partner concrete saw that Ralph also converted for me but I have not yet ran it.
I'm trying to get the muffler welded up on it and hope to have a new favorite very soon.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Tired Old Man

Echo has been the base design for many, many excellent performing and long lasting engines. That was a very good conversion choice.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Gus155

ZDZ 80 RV-J. 'nuff said.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

well i haven't found a favorite yet.
MVVS 45 the most trouble i have ever had,after setting on the shelf for two years and a COMPLETE rebuild maybe that will change. just ran the first tank of fuel today.
two DA50's and i must be the only guy that has zero problems with either.
Taurus 52 is the smoothest and quietest out of all of them and most dependable just not as strong of engine as the three mention above.
Evolution 58 POWER, all i can say for now only three gals. through it,but if it holds together it will be my favorite.
so far the DA's are looking good.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: closetguy

Taurus 52 is the smoothest and quietest out of all of them and most dependable just not as strong of engine as the three mention above.
Interesting that your Taurus isn't as strong as your DA or MVVS. My Taurus will run away and hide from my DA ... both equipped with mufflers of a similar noise level. And like you, I also like my DA very much but voted for the Taurus overall as a favorite. I wonder if your Taurus needs some attention?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:59 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Truckracer,you mite be rite i have been wanting to send it back to Bill and have him take a look at it.but i wood just fall in to that group of guy's that say my engine dosen't run as fast as i want it to fix it for me.but the main reason i want him to look at it i have a wobble in the timing ring like it is bent a little.i half to keep the high side of ring out 3/32 so the low side doesn't rub the case.i never had a prop strike it's always been like that,and i bought it new.
but yes if i could get it up to or pass the other 50's,it would be my favorite.
plug is a nice lite tan in color.and i get 7000 on a 22-8 mejzlik,6700 MCS 22-8,6800 xora 22-8
with the stock pitts muffler from Bill.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
king_arthur1953

Removed

Ron
Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

A bit off topic here but a G20 might be just the little gasser you are looking for [8D]

Karol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.