Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engine Tuning - WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Engine Tuning - WHY?

I have a question.... many new gas users seem to have difficulty understanding that a new gas engine *** HAS TO BE TUNED *** even if new out-of-the-box. Since nearly everyone comes from a glo-engine background, where tuning of a needle is expected, required, and understood by all....

* WHY * do we get so many posts/threads about "my new -0000 engine won't run right in my plane", with all the incessant followup about how to tune the low and high needles of a Walbro carb?

Even the crappiest engines being sold have instructions that explain how to set needles for first starts..... and MANY manufacturers provide good adjustment info in addition....

What is it that makes us forget basics when we turn to gas engines as newbies????

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Gas Engine Tuning - WHY?

Seems to me Bob that a lot of modelers today would rather have someone explain something, no matter how minor or trivial, rather than take the time to read instructions or find the answers to their questions by doing just the basic research. Nothing is easier than reading the mfg's instructions but lot's of people won't even do that. I responded to a guy in another thread the other day who wanted to know how to break in his 3W106 CS engine. I asked why he would come to this forum to ask strangers how to break in his $1,300.00 engine when Aircraft International provides detailed instructions with the engine and online at their web site. Go figure!!!

This trend isn't just limited to engines. There are lots of areas of RC that people don't bother read instructions on. Easier to rely on others opinions than find out for themselfs it seems.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the plug and play trend that was so dreaded in the 70-ties.
Many gas fliers never had a glow engine, but start out with a plane (ready to fly). and the cheapest engine they can get. Bolt it on, and expect it to run right. Oh yeah - - first ask here how to hook up the throttle servo.
After all, that chain saw never needed the needles toughed? never thought of the fact that the chain saw has a predictable load and a standard muffler fitted in the factory.

Plug and play generation Bob. That's why!
They need to train the ol' grey cells. That is what model flight is for.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Jburry

That, and now-a-days, the EPA has removed mixture screws from every piece of gas power equipment anyone buys. Chainsaws, mowers, snowblowers, weedeaters, none have mixture screws anymore. One mixture fits all, yeah right. Now, when an engine runs lean, it's carb-kit it and pray.... Or watch it eat itself from the inside out.

'Cause replacing the engine every couple years when the dang fool owner lets old gas gum it up, and it runs lean, couldn't possibly make more pollution than the slightly rich emissions of the previously happy little engine!

Hmmm, refine 5 pounds of aluminum, steel and rubber, or burn 20 gallons of gas?

Idiots.

J
Old 04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

Dumbing down of America.

It's all about me.

LAZY.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Jezmo

The dumbing down is happening at a rate you'd expect people to be scared of and do something about, but apparently not. Sheeple!!!! Baaahhhhh
Old 04-29-2008, 02:30 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Imagine in 20 yrs the only people on the planet who will know how to build RC aircraft will all be living in China, our engines won't be adjustable and the servo's will already be installed. Plug and Play and no reason at all to learn anything about engines or aircraft building. YUK!!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they've used a glow engine the first thing they probably did when they got it running was to twist on the needles. At least on the high end....For some reason they believe gassers to be more delicate and think it will never run again if anything changes. They really need to get over that attitude. Tune a gasser, tune a glow engine. Both require the same treatment to obtain the best performance.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
fisher1648

It's a sad-but-true trend in the hobby.

ARFs = less building = less thinking = less understanding.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

So very true. I attended a fun fly recently and though I would donate a well known sport model kit that I've had for some time to a deserving club member, and was greeted by the comment, " But who will build a kit ".

Was it so long ago that scratch or kit building was the only way to go, or is it that time has flown by so fast. No wonder that these days there are so many young excellent fliers, but only a handful of model builders.

Karol
Old 04-29-2008, 04:31 PM
mtwister

ORIGINAL: fisher1648

It's a sad-but-true trend in the hobby.

ARFs = less building = less thinking = less understanding.

Whatever.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Bob Pastorello

mtwister - I'd like to read what "whatever" means..... sounds like he pretty well has nailed a good answer to my original question.

Everyone Else - GOOD responses, and appreciated, although I think we maybe knew it.....I sure agree with "lack of initiative" ( I think someone mentioned it, or alluded to it anyway).

I had a guy turn down a FREE gas engine because he had to modify it take an ignition.....
Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

The other side of the coin is ....... Fresh blood

I am a ham raido operator.
The guys who loved the hobby fought to keep the requirements like it was in their day.
And that hobby now is desperate for fresh blood.
I feel they have done what needed to be done 10 years to late.

There are bumbling idiots in this hobby, but at least they are in the hobby.
With out there money it would not be worth a companys investing in new products
to advance our hobby.

I'm not sure how much we have grown in the last 10 years but subtract the new people and figure in the death rate
this would not be what it is today.

Thank you bumbling idiots where ever and who you may be.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

It is the plug and play trend that was so dreaded in the 70-ties.
Many gas fliers never had a glow engine, but start out with a plane (ready to fly). and the cheapest engine they can get. Bolt it on, and expect it to run right. Oh yeah - - first ask here how to hook up the throttle servo.
After all, that chain saw never needed the needles toughed? never thought of the fact that the chain saw has a predictable load and a standard muffler fitted in the factory.

Plug and play generation Bob. That's why!
They need to train the ol' grey cells. That is what model flight is for.
Pe
OK I give up, where the in hell did the 70-ties come from? There wasn't many as a matter fact few AFR's when I strarted in 1985?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

This thread is serving absolutely no purpose except a bunch of people attempting to insult everyone else.. Wow, good job guys. Keep up the good work. I see this same attitude at work also. Fellow workers insulting each other behind their backs, here it's fellow modelers insulting other modelers in a public forum. It disgusts me at work and it disgusts me here. There I've said my piece and now you can spend the next 5-6 posts insulting me.

BTW I tune my own engines, fly ARF's very well, hate to build,help fellow members at the field when needed and don't talk behind their backs about them.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Bob Pastorello

Sorry, all.
Maybe we're not ready for these questions.
RCU doesn't let the initiator kill a thread, so we're stuck with it, I suppose.

Maybe a merciful mod will lock it to stop further carnage.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
RR24

Bob,
your right people should try to read the instruction to figure out how to tune there Engines, But you know what, this forum is here for people to chat, correspond, or ask question, dumb or not, and if you dont wont to answer them then DONT, its your choice

Wes
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Sorry, all.
Maybe we're not ready for these questions.
RCU doesn't let the initiator kill a thread, so we're stuck with it, I suppose.

Maybe a merciful mod will lock it to stop further carnage.

Your question wasn't a bad one and I hope that you started the thread to get positive answers that would actually be useful, but that is not what it turned out to be. Instead it turned out to be a thread that bashed the American people, new people in the hobby, people who fly ARF's, and people who don't build from a box of sticks.

So my answer to your above statement is that, We are ready for the question, we just are not ready for answers that serve no purpose other than insulting others.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
bjor

ORIGINAL: RR24

Bob,
your right people should try to read the instruction to figure out how to tune there Engines, But you know what, this forum is here for people to chat, correspond, or ask question, dumb or not, and if you dont wont to answer them then DONT, its your choice

Wes
Could not agree more. I'm sure we have all asked that "dumb" qustion in the past - I know I have. I always say there is no such thing as a dumb question, if the answer is going to help then ask it. Bob - you have always been very free with your info - you have contributed to the DL-50 forum on numerous occasions and have helped many modellers with your expertise. I'm surprised this was even posted by somebody of your caliber. If you don't want to waste your time responding to stupid or dumb question - don't.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: bjor

ORIGINAL: RR24

Bob,

Wes
Could not agree more. I'm sure we have all asked that "dumb" qustion in the past - I know I have. I always say there is no such thing as a dumb question, if the answer is going to help then ask it. Bob - you have always been very free with your info - you have contributed to the DL-50 forum on numerous occasions and have helped many modellers with your expertise. I'm surprised this was even posted by somebody of your caliber. If you don't want to waste your time responding to stupid or dumb question - don't.
You're right, of course. It serves no purpose for me to make any kind of negative comment about those who are not seeking to learn, but are only seeking an answer. Maybe there is no difference..... but to me, there is a HUGE difference. You're also right about my being free with information in the past, and you're also correct to suggest that I just not respond.

Good comment, with a great suggestion.
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have read nothing in this thread particularly offensive or objectionable IMO. Just pros and cons to this subject and its usefulness, which is the exersizing of free speech, a right still cherished by many of us.

I believe, as manufacturers and retailers continue to produce and sell more and more complete aircraft, more new people to the hobby will be drawn to planes beyond their knowledge base and these most basic questions will continue to permeate these forums. Personally, I don't mind, and hope all get the answers they need to be successful at safely enjoying this wonderful hobby. Help when you can, if you so desire, and if not, don't be annoyed, just move on, those asking aren't really hurting anyone.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Insulting" Example?:

There was a thread in another forum from someone that had bought a brand new, large displacement twin. The engine comes with a very well thought out and well presented instruction manual. I know this because I have one, and have had others in the past. They've always had a very useful owners manual.

Did the owner read the instructions?? Naw, just jumped on RCU and asked everyone else how they break their engines in. Consensus appeared to be more valuable than following the manufacturers directions. Just what the heck is wrong with reading and following directions? Any bets there will soon be posts about problems with the engine from the same individual?

Is the above insulting? No, but truthful might apply. Should truth be viewed as an insult? If someone is honest with themselves it's not possible. However, if that person has been conditioned through political correctness into thinking they can never be wrong, then for them it might be viewed as an insult. Then again, nothing is ever your fault, it's always someone elses fault. Personal responsibility just isn't acceptable. Sorry, I won't buy into that concept.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going back to post # 1. Why so many questions on how to tune my 0000 engine? I think it is just natural to ask here on this forum to get the latest and mayby the best way to tune a paticular engine. Some instructions are kinda goofy that come with engines. It does take time to look up all this data....and some RC people are putting in long hours just to feed the family and keep evertyhing else up to par. Now if a person is sick of giving out answers...let someone else do it. Eventually there will be a answer to most all questions. I think it is good to ask whatever on forums. To me it is a sign that us modelers want to do tuning..ect in the best posssible way. That is what we do. That is better than just doing slip=shod set-ups. I hope you all get the Idea. This engine tuning question thing...Bob has a question on...may not have been his best. But I know Bob and many others have replied and gave some darn good advice...and for free!!! Giving ones time means a lot...if you think about it. Best Regards Capt,n[)]
Old 04-29-2008, 11:18 PM
mtwister

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

mtwister - I'd like to read what "whatever" means..... sounds like he pretty well has nailed a good answer to my original question.

Everyone Else - GOOD responses, and appreciated, although I think we maybe knew it.....I sure agree with "lack of initiative" ( I think someone mentioned it, or alluded to it anyway).

I had a guy turn down a FREE gas engine because he had to modify it take an ignition.....

Sure, I'll explain my "whatever" a little more so you can understand. As a person who came into this hobby in 2005, I found myself submerged in arf's as suggestions. I also lived in a very small house where building was not an option. So, I bought and flew and rather enjoyed and still enjoy this hobby, all of which without EVER building or having the desire to build a single kit. When an engine doesn't run right at the field, who does everyone come too? Me. I learned this hobby by spending a hell of alot of $$$, and crashing alot of planes and learning the hard way, but am now a pretty damn good flier and compete in IMAC.

So, for some ignorant elder to spout out that because someone asks for help, means that arfs' were somehow the cause of his demise. You people piss me off to no end. You're the people that show up to the field, unload your crappy airplane, fill it, run it then sit down and watch US fly all day, all the while talking crap about US arf fliers (who have been flying all day btw) and never fly your plane. Now excuse me if I'm wrong, but I notice several arfs in your guys avatars. Go blow you're arfs = uneducated fliers BS to someone who actually believes you. I know you're just ignorant.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

There is a huge generation gap that occured very quickly when ARFs became what they are. Model aviation was a completely different experience just a few years ago. Giant scale used to represent a great accomplishment, now it does not. Don't be too surprised when an "old timer" has limited paceince with a new guy who is in over his head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.