Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Missing at full throttle

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing at full throttle

Being my first gasser, I'm going through some teething pains. I've got a fairly new CRCC GF45i Version 3 ( not the greatest engine I know, but I scored it for super cheap) that I put a couple flights on today. I was trying to get the needles dialed in today and got a bit carried away. Screwed around with the needles, closed reopened 1 1/2 high and low and started the process again. The last flight I had I noticed some really bad missing at full throttle. Is that the result of being too lean on the top end? I check the plug gap and it was fine. Voltage on the ignition pack was at 6.4V. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Missing at full throttle

If you've got a Chinese plug in it that my be the problem.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:00 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Possibly the Hall sensor is bad. I had an engine miss at high speed, then backfire. Replaced the Hall sensor and it runs like new now.
Sam
Old 05-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

OK here you go. I have one of these engines and it now runs great but it didn't always. I experienced the same problems as you. The first thing I did was put in a Champion RDJ7J plug. This helped a tiny bit. Then I went to an unregulated 5 cell nicad battery. Helped a bit more but still not good. I checked the timing and it was set at 10 degrees and it is supposed to be 30. The Halls pick up brackett was at it's maxium so I had to drill and file it to open the slots enough to move it and get my 30 degrees. This timing issue seems to be a problem with most of these engines. Now the engine finally came alive and ran without missing and backfiring. I still found it a bit hard to start and would not idle low enough for me so I purchased the RCEXL auto advance ignition ( mine came with the CRCC fixed ignition - black plastic box ). I also had to alter the Hall's brackett on this to get it advanced enough. I believe the holes are drill a bit off in the hub for the bracketts they use. I also went to a 4.8 / 4 cell pack.

Now the engine runs absolutely perfect. Starts easy, idles easy and turns an MSC 18 - 10 @ 7300 and an Xoar 20 - 8 @ 6900.

Some of the very new ones come with a silver ignition box which IS auto advance and uses only 4.8 volts. If yours is like this all you need to do is change the plug and adjust the timing ( I bet it's off ) and you should have a good engine.

Even though mine works great now in retrospect I would have been better off to buy something like a DL50 right from the git go
Old 05-10-2008, 11:50 AM
foresterxt

Thanks for the pointers guys. I am in fact using the stock plug (Fench chen?) and I do have the original V3 with the black plastic IE. I'll try and track down an NGK or Champion plug. So Don, You just elongated the holes on the hall sensor and slid it clockwise (looking at it from the front)?

I should also add, I did not having any missing on the ground, only once she was in the air. I was turning a PowerPoint 20x10 at 6600rpm, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: foresterxt
I was turning a PowerPoint 20x10 at 6600rpm, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
Just run good oil in it and don't let the DA snobs get you down,

Each prop brand will give you different rpms, with my engine, (MT57), it spun a TBM 22x8 6630, and a Zinger 22x8 8000 rpm. The better props are worth it so try a NX or Xoar if you can get them, I'd start with a 20x8.

Try the lawn mower section of the hardware store, I use the Champion 8 heat range in mine.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Don M.

Thanks for the pointers guys. I am in fact using the stock plug (Fench chen?) and I do have the original V3 with the black plastic IE. I'll try and track down an NGK or Champion plug. So Don, You just elongated the holes on the hall sensor and slid it clockwise (looking at it from the front)?

I should also add, I did not having any missing on the ground, only once she was in the air. I was turning a PowerPoint 20x10 at 6600rpm, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
Yes I just made the slots bigger. But make sure your setting it right. Do yourself a favor and buy a RCEXL ignition you'll be glad you did.

A 20 - 10 prop is a lot of prop for one of these new !!! I've been running an 18 - 10 MSC ( wide prop ) on mine. I have 2 gals through mine and I would NOT use a 20 - 10 prop just yet.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:46 PM
foresterxt

ORIGINAL: Don M.

Yes I just made the slots bigger. But make sure your setting it right. Do yourself a favor and buy a RCEXL ignition you'll be glad you did.

A 20 - 10 prop is a lot of prop for one of these new !!! I've been running an 18 - 10 MSC ( wide prop ) on mine. I have 2 gals through mine and I would NOT use a 20 - 10 prop just yet.

Don, Since I'm using the stock staticly timed ignition, is advancing it too much going to cause problems starting and idling?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Don M.

The timing remains the same. The RCEXL ignition retards the ignition internally under a certain RPM. It comes with it's own Halls pick up but I see no reason why you could not use the CRCC pick up. I did not but the wiring is the same ( I think ) and yes I had to alter the brackett also in order to get the timing advanced enough. It was even more difficult than it was with the stock brackett, I almost ruined the brackett I read on here where someone had to make a new brackett in order to make it all work right.

As I said before when properly set up this is a good working engine but I wish it came set up that way from the factory. On the other hand I bought a very popular 50cc engine, paid 4 times for it that I paid for the CRCC engine and it took 3 trips back to the manufacturer to make it work right - go figure !!!

[X(] I just reread your post and to REALLY answer your question YES the engine ( with the STOCK ignition ) and timed @ 30 degrees was a BIT harder to start and idle which is why I installed the RCEXL. BUT the engine worked so much better at high throttle that I feel it was worth keeping it advanced and installed the RCEXL;. As I said it was all worth it to me but others may not feel the same way. In that case go with your gut