Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

1" ID Silicone Tubing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Rfabbre
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1" ID Silicone Tubing

Can anyone point me to a supplier of 1 inch inside diameter Silicone Tubing. I only need a small quantity but am willing to buy up to a few feet. I need it to connect a header to a canister.

Thanx in advance

Rich
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: 1" ID Silicone Tubing

This is what you really want.....

http://www.mcmaster.com/

part number 51805K79
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 PM
octanehuffer

Good luck keeping it together. I used it a temporary fix for the same setup and once the oil gets under the connection it will come loose. I got my hose from a Peterbuilt dealer. Any truck shop will have it in the hundreds of feet for you. Its used for coolant hose on the diesels.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

I get mine from Napa Auto parts. And Delta Rubber off hwy 99 in Stockton, but they have a store in Sac. also. Large truck parts stores will have it too. Napa sells it in 3' lengths and has tripple ply reinforcement for sturdy connections. The hose from Delta has single ply for a softer more flexible joint and is lighter.
To keep it from slipping I use a small tubing cutter with the cutting edge ground flat to make grooves in the header/cannister.
For clamping I use string wrapped around the silicone a couple times and pulled tight, knotted and CA'ed. Works great and is as lite as it can get.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Rfabbre
My Feedback: (6)

Thanx to all for your help. That's just what I needed.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:34 PM
RCDennis

I hate to rain on the parade but I bought the Teflon tube mention in soarrich's post and it melted the first flight. I have not had any luck so far with the Teflon and have spent about $80.00 so far. I am going to silicone and will sleeve the inside to keep the fire away. (the teflon was also sleeved) I hope this works. I am running a ZDZ 40RE FAI motor with a custom Macs header and a Carbon ES pipe. I may end up with a braided stainless coupling before this is over. Rfabbre, don't waste your money on the Teflon. The material listed above is rated at 500 deg. max and our exhaust is more in the 750+ degree range. Even the Silicone is only rated to 500 deg but is thicker and if sleeved it may last. I used to do this on my glow motors with good success. If anyone knows a source for 1" ID Viton tube that may be an alternative.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2008, 09:52 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Dennis
Thanks for the heads up on the teflon, but are you using it correctly, just as a coupler, not as the actual exhaust pipe? I haven't bought this yet, but was just about to, it seems to be the exact same thing that TBM and 3W AI sells.

Viton specs say max 400* that's less than what I linked to.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:24 PM
RCDennis

Rich,
Yes I am using it for a coupler. Due to the requirements of the tuned pipe there must be a gap between it and the header for adjustments of length. I put a short section of 1" aluminum tube inside of the teflon so the flame will not have direct contact. When adjusting the header length I just use different lengths of tube inside the coupler. The problem is on the header side. I use a compression clamp to hold the seal and where ever the teflon contacted the header it was melted. And not just soft but melted away. I am unable to find Viton in 1" size which is what I need. I have some 3/4" silicone from Macs but would prefer to use 1". McMaster Carr has some with a 1" ID that has a braid in it to give it a higher pressure rating but it is rated only at 350 deg. I will continue to look and if I find something I will post it here. There are some commercial manufacturers that I could buy through from work. Got to do something quick as pattern season is on us.

Dennis
Old 05-11-2008, 07:34 AM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

I'm using a piece of the teflon on a ZDZ 50 with a cannister. The only issue I have is it's pretty stiff, but so far no melting issues. I did put one wrap of teflon tape under it to provide a better seal.

John