Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:52 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

I have read a lot about gas engine filters, and the importance of filtering more with gas than glow. As I am changing over several planes and new to gas, I am looking for in-line filters that have more filtering capacity. All the filters I look at on Tower or Horizon are Dubro, Hayes, Great Planes, Hangar 9 etc. They either dont say how fine they are, or if they say so its not clear and if they are gas compatible. The finest I can find say 130 microns mesh....what ever that means. I assume the screen size. Do they make filters that are finer, perhaps 150 or 180 microns?

What is everyone using for fine mesh in-line filters for gasoline, so I don't plug up my carb, and where can I get them.

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

This is the best one

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...D=ZEN550085400
Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bick Bennett at B&B has new clunks w/filters for his gas tanks.

Chris923
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

This is the best one

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...D=ZEN550085400
I run the clunk/filter that Jim linked to here as well as this inline filter - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN143 which is compatible with both gas and glow fuels. While I can't tell you what micron size the screen element is, it appears much finer than the metal screen versions. Since going to this setup, I haven't found anything inside the internal walbro carb screen.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 AM
spaceworm

The inline filters are small and low capacity. I do not use inline filters. The best clunk/tank filters I have found are the Walbro filters from any small gas engine shop. They are felt and will suck the tank dry. I use one in the pickup line in my gas can also. . The Walbro filters are less than $4.00 and readily available. They are available for different fuel tubing sizes, so check what you need before buying one.

Richard
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Walbro clunk filters handle down to 10 microns.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:42 AM
w8ye

Most of the model airplane inline filters have a 60 mesh screen just like the screen in the Walbro carb
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 AM
repinfl
My Feedback: (40)

Advance Auto Parts sells a good "felt type" filter which is small enough to fit
most fuel tanks. B&B filter are too large to fit a DuBro type tank but are great
for his type tank, which I also use in my larger models.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Tired Old Man

I first posted this picture a few years ago but it's still effective.

Fits most all of the Sullivan and Dubro tank openings and works well up to a couple hundred cc's worth of engine size. Flight use is approaching 400,000 flight hours with numerous engines without generating any issues. 10 micron filtration capability. One in the tank and one in the gas can handles filtering needs about as well as ever needed. About $3.00 at saw and mower shops and better stocked lawn and garden departments.

I've led the horse to the water trough. Now it's up to the horse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85102.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1578022  
Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
STUKA BARRY

The best thing you can do is filter the fuel in your gas can, then inline filter after your pump going to the airplane. If theres any dirt left after that (usually not) the Walbro screen will catch it. Clean the carb screen twice a year and you'll be just fine. I've been doing this for 25years with excellent results.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:45 PM
w8ye

You guys are missing the point that the clunk filter will not let the fuel line suck a air bubble.

The surface tension of the fuel and the filter medium will not let a air bubble go through to the fuel line
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
pe reivers

for some applications, that is the one and only reason to use a felt clunk filter. Once you start using them, there is no reason left to omit them from a new plane on the bench.

I started using felt clunks when having trouble with my glow Spitfire's vibrations and fuel feed to the OS 4-stroke. The felt clunk cured all problems and then some. Never looked back, and even used them on .15 glow engines in aircombat flight.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Tired Old Man

A good gas carb can handle up to about an 8" void of fuel in the line before the next influx of fuel is obtained, but rpm stability suffers badly. There is no reason for this when a felt filter only needs to make contact with the fuel to provide a constant fuel supply with virtually zero bubbles in the supply. There is also the fact that a felt filter making only that same basic contact with the fuel will sump nearly 100% of the fuel in the tank before the engine runs out of fuel. With most all other the pick up must be fully immersed in the fuel resevoir to function at all.

However, if some feel a pick up or filter needs to have a fancier appearance to suit their egos they always have the option of using the lower quality products. Eventually they will learn.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
pe reivers

[8D]
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

The Walbro felt clunk like Ralph posted is all I'll use. Another benefit of them is that they are heavy enough to pull your Tygon tubing down to the bottom of the tank in these smaller tanks. Been using them for 8 or 10 years now in all my gassers and I have NEVER had to clean a carb screen. The felt clunk gets it all.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

I buy the chainsaw felt fuel filters from Ace Hardware. I only filter from the gas fuel can. I have had no problems. I use a standard pickup in my tanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 AM
mpascual

Porex clunk/filters are better than felt type filters, at same price but some advantages.
Many chainsaws shops are replacing felt filters by porex filters, and now it's difficult to find the felt type. ( here in my country).
You can find the best clunk/filter on e-bay ... http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=390287846515
When you try one , you will never want to use a felt type anymore.

Regards

Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 AM
pe reivers

I have had sintered type clunks clog up with gum. This never happened with felt filters.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

A good gas carb can handle up to about an 8'' void of fuel in the line before the next influx of fuel is obtained, but rpm stability suffers badly. There is no reason for this when a felt filter only needs to make contact with the fuel to provide a constant fuel supply with virtually zero bubbles in the supply. There is also the fact that a felt filter making only that same basic contact with the fuel will sump nearly 100% of the fuel in the tank before the engine runs out of fuel. With most all other the pick up must be fully immersed in the fuel resevoir to function at all.

However, if some feel a pick up or filter needs to have a fancier appearance to suit their egos they always have the option of using the lower quality products. Eventually they will learn.
I started using these Walbro filters some 4 years ago (after reading one of Pat's suggestions for them) and since haven't looked back. I now have them in al my planes.
Since then, I have not once had to disassemble a carb to clean the screen from gunk and debris which used to be a common occurrence when I used the normal brass clunks
I have also noticed when I drain the tanks after a flying day, the felt pickup completely empties the tank.
They also have the added benefit that if the pickup momentarily comes out of the fuel in the tank (in high G manouvres etc), there is no noticeable stop to fuel supply to the engine

I buy mine from a local Stihl shop and normally keep a few handy on the bench
Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Tired Old Man

There's some good reasons they found a home in UAV operations. When you fly over 1/4 of all the military UAV hours flown in a year you find out what works, and what works best pretty quick. After that you don't fix it if it ain't broken.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:53 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: mpascual

Porex clunk/filters are better than felt type filters, at same price but some advantages.
Many chainsaws shops are replacing felt filters by porex filters, and now it's difficult to find the felt type. ( here in my country).
You can find the best clunk/filter on e-bay ... http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=390287846515
When you try one , you will never want to use a felt type anymore.

Regards

And, please, what are the advantages? Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
weezle

how do the ceramic type clunks compare?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Tired Old Man

The good ones do ok but they need to remain fully immersed in fuel to function correctly.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
litterbug

Thank you for the info on this felt clunk filter.  I will be installing it in my gasser. I'm guessing this means I also have to run a 3 line system so I dont put any contaminates on the wrong side of the filter.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:25 PM
mpascual

Pe :

Have you tried POREX filters ? (not sinterized) .

See specs here : http://www.porex.com/by_product/by_p...fm#javascript;
When i discovered this kind of clunk-filters, and after many hours testing , i said : i will NEVER use felt filters. Hundreds of porex filters sold and distributed, and ALL customers agree with me. I have some stock of felt clunks, but i never offer them to modellers. I offer porex filters instead (same price).
Also i've found replacement filter screens at very very low price, this filter can be dismantled. The filtering screen is fixed with a G ring. and can be easy changed.

Advantages :
Same price, can be changed the filtering screen for a fraction of the clunk, constant fuel supply, no bubbles, and NO felt particles on carb screen, more heavy than felt type , special O'ring to avoid bumping inside the tank, .........

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47712.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1578803  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.