Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brillelli Engines No Response

Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brillelli Engines No Response

I bought a WM 27% Ultimate with a Brillelli GT46 engine in it. The muffler fell off in flight. I need a new muffler and have called and e-mailed Scott at Brillelli with no response. Any one know how to get a hold of him or where I might get a muffler. I have looked on all the muffler web sights and haven’t found anything. Thanks George
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Brillelli Engines No Response

Scott advised us recently via a posting here that he is going through a bit of a rough patch dealing with some serious personal health issues and asked that we be patient with his slow response to our queries etc. until he gets back up to speed. Right now he needs both our prayers and cooperation.

Karol
Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aquaskiman

I bought a WM 27% Ultimate with a Brillelli GT46 engine in it. The muffler fell off in flight. I need a new muffler and have called and e-mailed Scott at Brillelli with no response. Any one know how to get a hold of him or where I might get a muffler. I have looked on all the muffler web sights and haven’t found anything. Thanks George
I *think* the 46 is a Poulan jug, and Bisson makes mufflers for that. It's been awhile since I had the 46, so I may not be right. Take measurements off the jug and email the guy at Bisson to confirm. He's always been quick and helpful.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Bob is correct...

Here is a post I made elsewhere lastnight to someone who asked a similar question...

"I spoke with Scott tonight.. he has a funeral to drive to that is almost 3 hrs away. He bought a broadband phone for his laptop and is planning on getting his wife to drive so he can spend the time returning the 400+ emails he has right now.

He has responded to many but not all with being sick so it his goal to get caught up over the weekend of driving.

I would send him a fresh email to remind him and you should hear back shortly. He is starting to feel better and trying to get all caught up.. lots of parts are due in soon.. many have no finally arrived."

That or Bob's advice will work.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the muffler falling off in flight. That happened because it was not properly secured. Next time make certain that all the threads on the bolts and cylinder are clean. Use Permatex Ultracoper between the port face and the muffler instead of a paper gasket, and use red thread lock compound on the screw threads. Wait for everything to dry (overnight) before going flying.

If you're using a large muffler that provides the mass and moment arm for a lot of leverage on the exhaust mounting flange, consider supporting the end of the muffler farthest away from the flange in some manner to minimize damaging vibration.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Yep, there is a great tip about that very thing on Troy Built Models on their "Engines" page with the muffler info.
Installing an anchor from the engine box to the muffler on the opposite side of the exhaust flange will reduce breakage of mufflers and heads, as well as help keep things from loosening.

In my experience - the Ultra copper and Red Loctite does the trick, for sure!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:35 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

My experience is that Locktite does not work on the exhaust hold on screws due to the temperature. Silicon glue has a higher temperature rating but it has to be used on the head of the screw. Safety wire is the only way that will work for sure.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

There are actually 2 different types of red loctite.. one is rated at 300F and one 500F. I would bet the basic red starts to let go with constant heat at less than 300. A big part of it is vibration.. if you aren't dealing with that properly then red is not going to work unless its the high temp red.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

There are actually 2 different types of red loctite.. one is rated at 300F and one 500F. I would bet the basic red starts to let go with constant heat at less than 300. A big part of it is vibration.. if you aren't dealing with that properly then red is not going to work unless its the high temp red.
I've always used the Loctite 271 which I believe is a lower temp rated red. It is rated at 50% strength at 300 deg. F. Of course there are extensive charts to show its strength at various temps and exposure times. I have never had a problem with this material holding even on exhaust bolts. When I finally remove my mufflers, the bolts always pop loose with a distinctive snap so I know the bond is still good. In most applications, I believe mufflers would stay in place just fine without Loctite if the user would just not use a gasket, insure good flat mating surfaces on the muffler and cylinder flange, clean the bolt and cylinder threads well and use good mechanical support on overly heavy (pitts style) mufflers. A very light coating of Permatex Ultra Copper on one mating surface assures leakproof seals. I don't like this stuff on the threads as I can't see where it holds much of anything .... it is a sealer - gasket maker, not an adhesive.

I always get a chuckle at local fields, some people can't keep mufflers on anything where others never have problems. Those that don't have problems give tips to those who do but they never seem to listen. Hmmmmm .... sounds just like the gas engine forum. [8D] Aquaskiman, I'm not directing this at you in any way .... just making a general observation. I have no way of knowing what caused your muffler loss.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 PM
aquaskiman

After I posted this I read that Scott is sick, I wish him well. I have sent him another e-mail and I am sure he will respond when he gets caught up.
The muffler fell off because I didn’t check it and safety wire it. I bought the plane assembled and should of checked the muffler bolts. I will safety wire the muffler bolts on the new muffler.
High Temp Red Lock tight will work, but if a bolt breaks off then they are real hard to get out. Thanks George
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 AM
3DMonstr
My Feedback: (2)

The 46 is actually a modified Poulan chainsaw motor. If you go onto the Bisson website they do make a pitts wraparound muffler for this motor.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When using Locktite...how good it holds has a direct relationship to how good you cleaned the threads in bolt hole and the threads on the bolt. I use carb cleaner and compressed air. Clean it suprer clean....make sure there is no oil resdiue left. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Cap'n, I lost two mufflers off my 46GT, probably didn't clean up well enough and I was using red Loctite. Finally, Scott put on the third muffler with green Loctite and since then it's stayed put. I had sent Scott the engine to straighten the hub where I had bent it during a prop strike.

Scott didn't even charge me the last time, that's the way he was. He was probably too generous for his own good and that possibly added to his current problems. I wish him well.

Good to see you posting, by the way.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

What I don't understand about mufflers falling off is why they do on some motors but not others - this is common throughout brands from what I've read. I have a few gallons through the 46 and never have had a problem. I check every thing under the hood regularly too.

On a side note...

ORIGINAL: ljones5000
Scott didn't even charge me the last time, that's the way he was. He was probably too generous for his own good and that possibly added to his current problems. I wish him well.
Yeah, you might be right. His goal was to please the customer. When I was having RFI issues, he sent me numerous parts to try including a new carb never asking once for a penny. I asked him if I could pay him and he refused. When I sent the ignitions back to him he was letting me try out I threw in some cash to at least cover the small parts and shipping. Good guy. I would like to think he will make good on outstanding work/money when he is able. That just seems like the kind of guy he is.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

I have two Brillelli rear dump mufflers for the 46GT. One has seen limited use, the other is brand new. Since I do not need them any longer contact me if you are interested in them, I'll let them go cheap!

Loopman
Old 08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
aquaskiman

loopman I sent you a e-mail e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
outacntrl

well i finally got something from scott.. an envolope full of bankrupt papers..oh welll just wanted people to know. dont want to start another round of bad mouth'n ... jst an fyi...he could of @ least sent me some flowers or candy...ahhhh.. its a small world [>:]
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: outacntrl

well i finally got something from scott.. an envolope full of bankrupt papers..oh welll just wanted people to know. dont want to start another round of bad mouth'n ... jst an fyi...he could of @ least sent me some flowers or candy...ahhhh.. its a small world [>:]
Just curious:

What is an envolope full of bankrupt papers?
What bad mouth'n is it you don't want to start?

It's none of my business, but you did spark my curiosity.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
outacntrl

well im no laywer, but i guess it's the paper work the state sends out to the people owed money ..brillelli filed chapter 13 .. so thats the scoop on that ...the bad mouth'n is just that.. go look back thru the brillelli theads most locked up....lots of guys out $$ and engines..time to move on,actually i already did..i had hope he'd come around but i was wrong...so i'm gonna take the high road...good luck scott hope u get your life back on track
Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The paper work just lets the person know that the debt will be written off. So much for the making good on his word.[X(] The AMA should ban people like like this that ripped of modlers from ever being able to participate in the hobby in the future. If he has money in the future for models that means he would have money to refund people.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:10 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't for one second believe that Scott had any intention of ever ripping anyone off, but unforseen #### happens. That's life and that's business, and when it unfortunately does one has to take the appropriate steps so as not to be drawn over the coals for the rest of their life.

There is no sense in continuing kicking the man when he is already down and quite possibly out. Why not just wish him the best of luck in getting up and back on track, as for sure we would want others to do for us.

Karol
Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Upnet
My Feedback: (8)

I think the thing that disappointed me the most, was that Scott never posted anything about going under. Sure... early on he did post about his health. Rumor's started to fly. We heard about some things second hand. Phones disconnected...internet access gone. I think most everyone cut him some major slack. If only he had posted and said...Hey guys...I tried...but it did not work.

Adam over at BCMA posted that he was going under and would finish up what he could. Scott never did that. Many members pleaded with him to communicate. I think if he had...it might have made the loss of money a little more palatable. Sure...it would not have changed the outcome....but I think he would not have lost respect from many members.

Some members were ready to drive up to Minnesota and help Scott out. RCU is one of the best places where there are some of THE best people you have never met. People will bend over backwards to help a fellow RCU member. Experienced people helping new folks just getting in to the hobby. And...I'm talking about people from all over the WORLD. We are united in the love of a hobby that brings us pleasure and excitement.

One man shops will come and go. The Hobby will go on.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Chas_97
My Feedback: (5)

In the end it all boils down to integrity. Some of us have it & some of us don't.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:48 PM
3DNutZ

Upnet, I read the post your talking about written by Adam at BCMA. Very professional, period
Old 09-26-2008, 08:59 AM
3DNutZ

Has anybody been contacted by Scott? Recieved money back, an engine, anything?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.