Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Canister mufflers for DA-100

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:41 PM
mola
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canister mufflers for DA-100

I'm getting a DA-100 for my Composite-ARF Extra 330L, and I'm thinking about which exhaust system to use.

As I live in Denmark, Europe - where effective noise reduction is absolutely necessary - I will fit canister mufflers on the DA-100.

So my question is, which canister systems do you guys have the best experience with on the DA-100? I'm thinking both performance and noise reduction here... I have thought about the following alternatives, but if you have other suggestions please list them also:

KS 86 VS-4
MTW TD75
MTW TD75 K (the short version)
Pefa Duo 100 ("2 into 1")

I'm not sure if the standard MTW TD75 will fit into the Composite-ARF 330L since the floating spar might be in the way...

Also, I read here somewhere that the "2 into 1" system from Pefa is causing idle problems on the DA-100, and most people recommend the solution with two separate canisters...? It's funny because in the instruction manual for the Extra 330L, Composite-ARF actually recommends the Pefa "2 into 1" system for the DA-100. They even say that the throttle response will be fine and the mid range perfect. It seems to me that if you use the "2 into 1" system the header length will not be the same for both cylinders, and this could possibly be why the idle problem exists...?

Lastly, what should the header length be on these systems to maximize performance and running characteristics on the DA-100?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:26 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Default same questions

I too am looking to install twin cans in my 330L. I would give up the boost of a tuned exhaust in order to have a happy, quiet engine.

Brian
Old 05-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Kato

Hei Morten,

Avoid the problem. Get a 3W100 (or the newest 106) standard or QS version with the new patended 3W cannister mufflers (or use these cannsiters on the DA).

I have just test flown my 36% Extra with this setup and 3-blade propeller. I was amazed how quiet (and strong) it was. It was comparable with many quiet F3A models on the field.

best regards from Norge
Kato
Old 05-08-2003, 08:57 PM
mola

Hi Kato,

Well I was actually not going to begin an engine brand war here, but anyway since this is my first gas engine and nearly no one seems to have any problems with the DA's I went that route.

I heard a lot of good things about 3W, but also some less good things such as warping carb blocks and bad ignitions...

Well I chose the DA-100 and I'm sticking with it, so I hope we can get back to discussing the canister issue.

I had not heard about the new patented 3W canisters. Are they made by 3W or by Pefa?? And where can I find some specs on them such as size, weight and price...?

Are they the ones listed here:
http://www.aircraftinternational.com...w_canister.htm
Old 05-09-2003, 04:23 AM
A320driver

I have been running a DA 100 in my 35% Radiocraft Extra with KS cannisters for over a year now, no problems. Plenty of power and quiet. (my club has a 100 DB limit) Stay away from the 2 into 1 system, a friend tried it with the same motor, the idle was terrible!
As for header length, keep it short if you want to get the power, my headers come back about 6"
Old 05-09-2003, 05:47 AM
Kato

Hi Mola,

The 3W cannisters are buildt by Pefa for 3W, but is a 3W design. Yes, you find them on Gerhard's webpage.

From Denmark I think you can buy directly from 3W Germany or you could contact Mr.Fossheim (www.3wnorge.com) which is the dealer in Norway.

The new cannisters are significantly quiter than the old ones and gives more rpm.

Kato
Old 05-09-2003, 05:51 AM
Kato

Hi A320driver,

Here in Europe we have to be close to 90 dB at 3 meters (118'') to be concidered to have an low noise airplane. That is a huge difference to 100 dB.

Kato
Old 05-09-2003, 12:44 PM
A320driver

Hi Kato,
I said my club has a 100 db limit, I didn't say that I was at 100 db's! I was measured at my club at less than 6 feet, my set up came in at 97 db. I was turning a Menz 28x10, not the quietest prop in the world to start with. Put a 3 blade prop on and I'm sure you would be close to 90 db at 3m. I have lived and flown in Europe and I am only to well aware of the noise restrictions you guys have to live with. By the way not all of us over here in the USA , including those who have never been to your side of the pond, are completely ignorant of the metric system.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:51 PM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Very good thread, I hope we get some good info.

A320:
I have spoken to DA about the KS cannisters and they recommended a header leangth of 10-12". Why do you use a header length of 6"? How well does it run?

My uneducated thought would be that a longer system would reduce noise more, any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2003, 02:39 PM
PlaneKrazee

Default header length

Here are a few web pages that can help answer your questions about tuned systems.

A longer header will give a broader power curve. A shorter header will give more peak power.

http://www.shark-racing.com/Ingles/T...Projetoing.htm

http://www.shark-racing.com/java/javapipe.htm

http://www.hpt-sport.com/tunedpip.htm

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2p5sj/engine.htm

http://www.macdizzy.com/2stroke.htm

Brian
Old 05-09-2003, 02:50 PM
PlaneKrazee

Summary

Header
> diameter > power narrower power band
< diameter < power broader power band
> length < power broader power band
< length > power narrower power band

Divergent cone
> angle > more intense negative wave < duration
< angle < less intense negative wave > duration

Belly > length < power broader power band
< length >power narrower power band

Convergent cone
> angle > more intense positive wave < duration

Stinger > diameter < counter pressure < engine heat
< diameter > counter pressure > engine heat

Note1: From 6 to 8 times the header diameter for maximum power and till 11 time to a broad power curve, measured from the piston face at the exhaust port.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:05 PM
mola

Default From the horses mouth...

Well I asked the same questions to DA and got the following answer from Dave Johnson:

We have not been happy with the 2 into 1 PEFA system. The rpm oscillates at low throttle and the mid range can be unpredictable. PEFA now offers a 2 into 2 system that works well.

MTW also has a new shorter/wider system that will just fit ahead of the blade spar in the Extra. Peter Wessels is using this set up in Germany with good results. I am not sure of the model# but MTW or Exclusiv Modellbau should be able to help you. It may be the TD75 K. The long narrow muffler is too long the Extra.

The KS 86 is a good system, but it likes a longer header which is too long for the Extra.

With any of these systems, you will want to use as long of a header pipe as possible so that the muffler just misses the spar. Short headers with a large prop = a hot/unhappy engine. Keeping the headers long will also give better throttle transition.

I would take a look at the MTW. The power is very good and I believe the throttle curve is as good as the PEFA 2 into 2.

This was just the kind of answer I was hoping for. I have now contacted MTW via e-mail and asked them which system they sold to Peter Wessels.

I will let you guys know what I find out!
Old 05-09-2003, 03:45 PM
PlaneKrazee

Mola,

Does MTW have a web site?

Brian
Old 05-09-2003, 05:45 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

For the past year, I have been flying a DA-100 on my RadioCraft Extra. I assembled (not necessary now that DA is making them) flexible headers with a 12" length. The cans are KS. With an Air Models 26x12 3-blade prop, this is one of the quietest setups I have ever seen. I fly in lots of IMAC contests, and without a doubt, this is the most quiet DA-100 I have come across. This system had plenty of power to fly last years' Unlimited sequence.

Stay away from the PEFA 2-into-1. One of my local IMAC buddies had that in a 35% Edge last year. The idle surges alot right after the engine is started. It settles down a bit after it warms up, but it was never as smooth as my KS system.

Don't know how the KS will fit into the Composite-Arf Extra. But there is no doubt that you can have a powerful, quiet system with the KS cans.

Ken
Old 05-09-2003, 06:01 PM
A320driver

Originally I had fairly long headers, some where about 10 to 12 inches long. The motor was unbelievably quiet and the power band was very smooth , but the power was down from standard cans. With the new short headers the power is back with a bang!
Not as quiet as it used to be and the power is mostly at the top end, re-programing the throttle curve on the radio takes care of most of that.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:39 PM
mola

Default MTW web-site

Yes, MTW does have a web-site.

The address is: http://www.mtw-daempfer.de/
Old 05-10-2003, 07:33 PM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

with the flex headers it would be possible to put the cannisters underneath the plane perhaps. Then they could be long and no inside engineering would be required and they would keep cool.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:53 PM
mola

Default MTW canisters

Hi,

Just got an e-mail from MTW. The system they sold to Peter Wessels was indeed the TD 75 K canisters (the short ones), with matching headers. This was used in the Composite-ARF/FC Extra 330L 2.6m.

I will order this system.
Once I receive it I will post some pictures...
Old 05-11-2003, 12:57 AM
PlaneKrazee

Morten,

The website lists the long and short systems as being the same diameter. I wonder if they are the same diameter or if the "K" is a larger diameter?

I think the KS 86 would work if the headers were crossed to give more length.
Brian
Old 05-11-2003, 06:11 AM
mola

Default MTW TD 75 K

Yes, I'm also wondering if the MTW TD 75 K is not larger in diameter... Anyway I will find out within a week or so, since that was the delivery time

Regarding crossing of the headers... Aren't we dangerously moving away from the KISS principle if doing that........?

If you would like to use the KS cans I would think the KS94VS would be a better choice. Like this gentleman is doing in his Hangar 9 Cap 232:
http://members.cox.net/brbrackney/pr...ap/CapCans.htm

The KS94VS cans were designed for the ZDZ-80RV, but should work fine with the DA-100 also. There should be no shortage of volume here...
Old 05-13-2003, 08:58 PM
mola

Default TD 75 k diameter

Hi,

Well I asked Volker Weiershäuser (the guy behind MTW), and the TD 75 K can actually has a diameter of 70mm, this means the 55mm listed on their web-site is wrong...

Will post some pictures as soon as I receive them.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:36 PM
PlaneKrazee

Mola,

Will you drill two 3" holes in the plane or drill two smaller (approx. 1 1/2") holes for the Canister inlets and two for the outlets? I would be concerned about weakening the bottom of the firewall mount.The scale exit is near the rear of the cowl. It may be best to attach the headers to the cans, feed them through the upper holes and drop the stacks down the lower holes.

I am considering doing this myself with the KS 86 VS-4.
What do you think?

Brian
Old 05-13-2003, 09:40 PM
PlaneKrazee

I should receive my DA-100 thursday!

Brian
Old 05-19-2003, 08:42 PM
mola

Default MTW TD 75 K cans...

Hi,

Well I received the MTW TD 75 K pipes today, and they are very nice! They are light yet sturdy. But compared to my pattern stuff they are a little big...

As promised I will post some pics of the pipes and headers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79872_11905.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	45682  
Old 05-19-2003, 08:44 PM
mola

Default Pipe weight

Reasonable weight...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79874_11905.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	45683  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.