Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G62 Problem

Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Jerkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G62 Problem

My friend has a G62 in his Corsair. Engine runs great on the ground. He has only around 5 flights on it. So far every landing has been a dead stick. Engine consistently dies on his approach to land. We have pulled the plug 2 or three times and it looks good. He felt the engine after his last landing and he said it didn't feel hot. I know it isn't much to go on but I told him I would put a post out here to maybe get some opinions.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: RCIGN1 G62 Problem

Low end to rich or to lean, Most likely to lean.

Milton
Old 07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jerkey

My friend has a RCIGN1 G62 in his Corsair. Engine runs great on the ground. He has only around 5 flights on it. So far every landing has been a dead stick. Engine consistently dies on his approach to land. We have pulled the plug 2 or three times and it looks good. He felt the engine after his last landing and he said it didn't feel hot. I know it isn't much to go on but I told him I would put a post out here to maybe get some opinions.

Thanks,

Mike
Did your friend think about calling Ralph at RCIGN? I would think that would be the first step to resolving the problem.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ralph is posting actively on another forum. Think...... Giants and Flying........ but reverse the 2 words.

He doesn't post on this forum. Thats all that needs to be said about it.

Call him. He built it. He's a helluva nice guy to talk to. He'll tell you EXACTLY how to fix it. OR..... He'll tell you to send it to him and he'll most likely fix it cheap or free.

You can also google his website and get his shop phone number from the front page of the site. www dot rcignitions dot com
Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Ralph will likely tell you to do what Milton said. Likely the low end is too lean, causing the idle rpms to be too high, which in turn makes your friend set the throttle too low to compensate.

If he richens the low end slightly and opens the throttle butterfly slightly this problem might disappear. Seems counterintuitive, but it works.

I had the same problem on a different engine. It ran perfectly well on the ground and in flight, but I was always losing it on short final (or jockeying the throttle to keep it running). I richened the low end a bit, which significantly dropped the idle rpms, and opened the throttle a bit to compensate, and voila! no more deadsticks.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone on this one. Open the low end to about 2-2/12 turns. Fire the engine up and pop the throttle quickly to full to make sure you have a good transition. Lean the low end 1/8 of a turn and pop the throttle again. Do this until you loose a good transition and then back it off (rich) 1/8 turn. Check your high needle by taching the engine at max rpm and back it off a few hundred rpm. You just have to play with the needles a little.