Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Calling all Walbro carb gurus - see pic's

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Calling all Walbro carb gurus - see pic's

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Calling all Walbro carb gurus - see pic's

The problem is with the WT201, which has a lean top end. This requires to have the low needle too far open, so it will not balance midrange all that well.
Drilling out the main needle jet to 1.1mm helps a lot. (from my tool box notes)
Old 08-31-2008, 04:52 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo, PE. You do realise how much of a pain in the arse it is to buy mm (metric) drill bits here? Near impossible. However Dremel sells a real nice set of wire size drill bits.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 PM
pe reivers

Wire sizes are inversed to real sizes, because they are based on a length of wire drawn from a certain weight of metal.. I will leave it to you imperial folks to figure out which is which in relation to diameter.
1.1mm was the size that worked well for me! For conversion: One inch is exactly 25.4mm, so look for a drill of 0.043307086" diameter.
Excuse my sadistic big smile , cant help myself.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:31 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Actually I re-used the pump gasket, I didn't like that blue see-through plastic one. I only replaced the metering device's diaphragm. I'm starting to wonder if the pump is not working as well. It does't seem to give me that squish squish sound I usually hear from fuel getting into the cylinder. I had to flip the prop exactly 20 times to get fuel from the tank up to the carb fuel inlet. It's manual choke so it's not a servo preventing the choke from closing fully. I close it tight with my hand. The engine ran good today. But it takes lots of priming to get it to start the first flip every time.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:57 PM
huggins

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Wire sizes are inversed to real sizes, because they are based on a length of wire drawn from a certain weight of metal.. I will leave it to you imperial folks to figure out which is which in relation to diameter.
1.1mm was the size that worked well for me! For conversion: One inch is exactly 25.4mm, so look for a drill of 0.043307086" diameter.
Excuse my sadistic big smile , cant help myself.

A #57 drill bit is .0430" in diameter.

Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 AM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Actually I re-used the pump gasket, I didn't like that blue see-through plastic one. I only replaced the metering device's diaphragm. I'm starting to wonder if the pump is not working as well. It does't seem to give me that squish squish sound I usually hear from fuel getting into the cylinder. I had to flip the prop exactly 20 times to get fuel from the tank up to the carb fuel inlet. It's manual choke so it's not a servo preventing the choke from closing fully. I close it tight with my hand. The engine ran good today. But it takes lots of priming to get it to start the first flip every time.
I like the blue mylar type best of all. They are resistant to all fuels and fuel additives. They pump the least, but the amount of fuel pumped is not all that important, because enough is enough as long as it is more than the engine needs. The amount pumped is such, that my 58 will die rich as soon as I apply some pressure on the regulator membrane.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

The MVVS 58 appears to have an external pulse line centered on the pump chamber. http://mvvs.nl/
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM
pe reivers

All MVVS engines have external pulse lines. The central fitting on the 58 is the pressure reference for the regulator membrane. I fit that to a simple static pitot tube to avoid all carb in-flight problems.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:16 PM
redcesar

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here you can find a Walbro manual with all the adjustments specs.

http://www.perkez.be/Walbro.pdf

Regards,
Ruud.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
JoeAirPort

When they say to set the metering lever height, what exactly do you do to set this? Bend the arm or cut the spring? I see the device for measuring it but they say nothing how to actually change the height.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

bend it up or down, the spring length has nothing to do with the height of the metering lever... just how hard it's pushed

it's easy to bend, I just use my fingernail or a small screwdriver or something
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
JoeAirPort

Thanks, I kind of thought that. They never really say exactly how to "adjust" it. Maybe I should have one of these devices.

I read that Walbro service manual. They really play down the pop-off pressure. They just say that it should be over 10 psi so it doesn't get over come by the pump pressure. I guess it's because the needles can adjust no matter what the pop off pressure is. They give more importance to pressurizing the carb and submerging it to look for air bubbles.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

I played around with pop-off pressure about a year ago and anything from 10 psi to 30 psi seemed to work well. I could not tell any difference between 10 and 30. This was on a Tillotosn carb on a 3W 100. The design principles are the same (Walbro and Tillotson) on their 2 cycle pumper carbs.