Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 AM
driesbabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a 62cc for a short little time last week. It was mounted on a ARF MFG SU 26 and looked good. The engine and the muffler fit completely under the cowl and I am assuming the nirto planes SU will be the same size and cowl.

The engine turned some 6600RPM with a Menz S 24X8 brand new and out the box. The customer was very hesitant to me touching the needles and left them at 1.5turns each.
The engine runs very smooth, and has no burble at all. I think that if we would have tuned it better, it would have turned higher nr's.
Please bear in mind, that I am stuck in one very high altitude Country and the engine was run at about 5000 feet above see level.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Tired Old Man

Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 AM
aussiesteve

Yes - There is not really much comparison between the 62 and the 65. IMHO the 62 wins hands down every time.

The 65 is about the oldest of the engines in the RCGF range. In fact they manufactured it as an OEM manufacturer for a couple of brands. It is a reliable engine but it is bulky and heavy by this years standards.

The 62 on the other hand is a more up to date design with more useful power than the 65 - it is lighter and MUCH closer to the "50 size" dimensions.

The Pitts mufflers (coming soon) won't fit the 65 (due to interference with the back of the cooling fins).

Ok - question time for you guys

Would you prefer to see the engines offered without exhausts? (Similar to how certain other manufacturers do) then you can order your exhaust of choice at purchase time?

That choice could include Pitts, Canisters, Standard Mufflers (as in the ones currently supplied) or standard with the corner cut off.

Henry and I are currently finalising details on the new range of exhausts so watch this space (That includes the 2 into one option for the 50 twin)
Old 01-09-2009, 01:18 AM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

That would be nice to be able to pick your own muffler. But for the good price that the engines are now, who can complain... its like paying for the engine and getting a free muffler with it. So your saying that you buy the stock engine with no muffler at a lower cost, and add your muffler choice to it?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: T3beatz
So your saying that you buy the stock engine with no muffler at a lower cost, and add your muffler choice to it?

Yes- that is exactly my thought.

It is just my thought - I haven't run it past any of the other distributors and I don't know how much lower the cost would be - just a thought.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Mr.FiberOptic

i still dont know how to link up the choke and throttle servos to the carb properly on either the sidemounted or rearmounted carb on the big engines. i plan on using the towerhobbies TS-69 standard servos on the choke and throttle with a magnet ring to eliminate radio interference. dont know what throw to use on the servo horns or the carb horns. or what length of horns. i see articles on modifications to the gasser carb horns with a longer horn and dont know if that is required.

i would like to have the pitts muffler for a uniform look not just one down tube hanging from the engine. im told by others that have the nitroplanes su-26 are adding alot of weight up front and putting all three batteries up in the cowl over the engine box to balance this plane because it is tail heavy. and also feels to them like it flys heavy. so if the pitts muffler adds weight so i can avoid putting the 2 rx batteries up front with the ignition battery maybe that would be a good idea?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:05 AM
driesbabe

T.O.M,

I know, and I would if I could, have you any idea how nice it is to fly at sea level during the holidays, when I go to the coast
This is one of the perks that I don't want to miss.
one day when I grow up, I will go live there

Steve,
don't slam that 65cc too much, they are one of my favorite engines, the one I have, has been to hell and back and it's always been a one flipper.
As for the Su from Nitro, the tail heavy thing is a problem with the SU's, that is why my Customer went from the 50cc to the 62cc. And then of course, there is the elevation that I am famous for.....
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 AM
aussiesteve

Yep - gotta admit that 65 sure is reliable and bullet proof - no doubt about it. I have one that has outlived 3 airframes after "ground testing incidents" and it just goes from one to the next. Who knows one of these days, I might even have to put some spare parts into it.
Funny thing is - I originally put it into an ARFMFG 50cc SU (Very similar to the Nitroplanes frames) for the exact same reason - nose weight.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:13 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

cmoulder,

Thinking more about that twin 50 of yours. Until recently the only small twins I've seen used were 3w-56 and what I think was a small BME a long time ago. So as far as muffler designs there hasn't been a lot to go on. The 3w was headered to a single pipe and I can't recall how the other was set up.

Since a twin 50 eliminates the normally centered cylinder and moves the exhaust locations to outside positions....perhaps a twin muffler design that sweeps both mufflers towards the crankcase to some extent, or easier still, a manifold for a two into one muffler can design, might be conceivable.
Good ideas! From your lips to Henry's ears!!

I think the vast majority of users will need this anyway, and it would make it an attractive package.

Imagine an ad or a review in a magazine demonstrating that a guy could install this nice little setup in an Edge or Extra without hacking up the cowl at all. This would be an extremely strong selling point.

Seems to me the angled stock mufflers should be standard, and I'd be quite happy with the option to buy the 2-into-1 muffler or can.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
ExperimentalAviator
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

...., or easier still, a manifold for a two into one muffler can design, might be conceivable.
You nailed it! And the manifolds need to be as low profile as possible.

Mike
Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Tired Old Man

Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
rkliemann

I put the 20 cc in a world models extra 330L 60 size. It weighs 7.5 oz more than the supertigre 90 but the battery for the ignition of the 20 cc sitting behind the canopy takes care of that, the 8 0z tank sits sideways in front of the wingtube and I made a 3/16 ply mount to bring the engine far enough forward to clear the caowl. the supertigre 90 ran 16 minutes at full throttle to deadstick, throttle servo linkage came off just as I was going vertical!!!

rkliemann
Old 01-09-2009, 05:36 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a few progress photos of the 26cc on the P-47

Little bird told me that the CM-6 plug/cap will be shorter - looking at this (stock) I shouldn't have to cut the cowl for plug clearance.

Business end. Going to light her off in a few hours
Old 01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

You should put some foam rubber under and in back of the electronic moduel to protect it from the vib. The mount sure looks good. Or is there foam there and i just cant see it. I plan on putting my 26 in seagull 90 Yac
Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
FOOPED

Hey Old Fart where did you get those standoffs I sure like the big foot that goes aganist the firewall.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Those look like the ones from PSP MFG.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I have some foam backed velcro below the module, if I change to the CM-6 plug the mod gets replaced - so it's just "in there" for now.

Yep - those are PSP spacers behind the RCGF supplied spacers -and PSP 1/8" washers behind those.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Tired Old Man

Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
FOOPED

Well doggonit now I know what happened to my last one TOM
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 PM
eugene

Looked at the RCGF 62..... an attractive engine, and I have a question.....the cylinder casting appears to be originally a piston port engine, but the inlet is capped . and the crankcase has been machined for the rear carb set up. just wondering what the original jug assembly was intended for.....
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Heres what you guys need and ill send a link to Henry so he can look.This is for the GT80 twin.I was going to post a pic but its so small on the site and when i try to blow it up it becomes blury.Maybe i can blow it up then clean it up.

http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...ting_id=114109
Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 PM
ExperimentalAviator
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: buck1856

Heres what you guys need and ill send a link to Henry so he can look.This is for the GT80 twin.I was going to post a pic but its so small on the site and when i try to blow it up it becomes blury.Maybe i can blow it up then clean it up.

http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...ting_id=114109
Nice muffler but that will not work on my Christen Eagle or the Byron Glasair with the 50cc Twin. For anything similar to work the canned muffler section would have to be positioned about four inches further back and it would require very low profile headers coming off the exhaust stacks. This would then require multiple supports between the muffler and the engine to keep the headers and welds from cracking. It’s doable but not going to be cheap; affordable yes, but not dirt cheap.

For the Glasair installation, which has a very low profile cowling on the bottom, a muffler which I have described would still only work if the engine could be positioned back about an inch. That's why I asked Johnny (Factory) if they could come up with prop extensions; assuming the extension would not lead to other fatigue problems with the crankshaft.

Mike
Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 PM
aussiesteve

Yes - that is similar to one of the concepts for the 50cc twin muffler that we are currently working with. Ours is being planned to also help overcome the space issue of the "Extra" style cowls (Sorry Experimentalaviator, it still might not completely solve your issue though it wil help - we can't win them all). Of course the other ones are a "2 into one" header and canister set and a twin canister set.

As for the 62 cylinder? - who knows what was the original. There are only actually about 2 suppliers of good quality cylinder blanks here that supply about 85% of all the good engine manufacturers here (I don't dare to guess what that percentage is of all engine manufacturers though).

That is the reason that many engines look similar but the quality can vary widely from brand to brand. It is what happens after the blank is received that makes the difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Mr.FiberOptic

how do i get to PSP MFG for those spacers? is there a weblink?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.