Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Roto 35 Four Stroke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Scotsman58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roto 35 Four Stroke?

Anyone know anything about this: [link]http://www.rotomotor.cz/rotomotor/en/default.html[/link]? Good looking engine, to my eyes. I know, the Euro is pretty high (but coming down a bit recently . . . .).
Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Roto 35 Four Stroke?

Saito has one here already in the same size.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SAIEG36
Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Not to sound like a fan boy, but if the 35 4-stroke is the same quality as the 35vi 2-stroke then you're not going to beat the roto motor. I've got the 35vi and it's top quality. I like saito's (don't get me wrong) but the roto is amazing when you hold it in your hand. However, I'm sure the roto would be a little heavier than the saito.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Yea, the Saito is about 11 oz less weight.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Scotsman58

Yes, the Saito is lighter, and a lot (!) cheaper, but I've been reading about various operating issues on this forum (sticky valves, uneven running, overheating, difficulty in starting, ignition modules needing replacement). If the Roto runs really well, and is of high quality, it might be worth the extra money.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 AM
cadconversions

Of course, I don't have any experience with this motor but if you'll search on the roto 35 and roto 25 you'll find nothing but praise on these motors. Of course, they are a little heavier but when you hold one in your hand you can see where the weight comes in and you forget about it. I've never seen anything that gives me the feeling of pride in workmanship as this motor. Even a DA-50R doesn't do that for me and I love my DA's.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 AM
WesternHobbies

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

Not to sound like a fan boy, but if the 35 4-stroke is the same quality as the 35vi 2-stroke then you're not going to beat the roto motor. I've got the 35vi and it's top quality. I like saito's (don't get me wrong) but the roto is amazing when you hold it in your hand. However, I'm sure the roto would be a little heavier than the saito.
We are going to be the new US Roto dealer and are taking pre-orders for the 35FS. It weighs in at 1790g and the Saito is 1746g - comparable but the Roto seems to be a little more compact and engineered better. The price for it is $860 and we have been taking pre-orders because the more we buy the better the price that we can pass along to customers. Also, as the euro fluctuates we will follow with pricing to keep our margin consistent -another way to pass savings to our customers. We will also provide full factory warranty support for the entire line here in North America. Email us at [email protected] if you have any questions. We are currently updating our website to show all the engines we offer. CRRCpro, DA, Roto.

Jim
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Scotsman58

Cool! A U.S. dealer (RCS already told me that they don't plan to import the 35 fs.) I sent you an e-mail.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Teus

Old thread new live,

I am interested in this engine but can't find user reviews on this one. Are here any users in the meantime?

Thanks,

Teus
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 AM
cadconversions

TBM just picked up the roto line for the US again and is pushing the 35 as one of their first models to introduce the line. If the 3d four-stroke is of any quality similar to the 2-stroke - you can NOT go wrong - probably a little heavier than the rest but that much more / better built.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Teus

Weight is no problem as I should place this engine in a 1/4 scale WW-I bird with a short nose. I like the design and size/weight and sound of this engine.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Gezuz

Hello I am also interested in this motor and i saw that TBM have god price on the engine. But i would also like to read some more about this engine.
Is there some body that own one av this and could tell us some more about the engine.

Thanks,
Gezuz
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scotsman58

Yes, the Saito is lighter, and a lot (!) cheaper, but I've been reading about various operating issues on this forum (sticky valves, uneven running, overheating, difficulty in starting, ignition modules needing replacement). If the Roto runs really well, and is of high quality, it might be worth the extra money.

Just think of how many posts there would be if everyone that had a great flying day with these engines wrote to this forum to tell us of their terrific engines?

You are seeing posts here from folks that are having problems. Considering all of the engines that have been sold since their introduction, only one or two a week write in with a problem. When you think of it statistically, that is hardly any folks having problems with their Saito gassers.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

How many of these things are out there running? I don't want to be the guinea pig so untill I see one or see some feedback I am hesitant. I have seen a couple of the saitos and would not go there on gasoline as I don't want to have to run that much oil as the rods are not on bearings.. I have had a couple of saitos eat exhaust valves on glow- course that was after a lot of hard running..
Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 AM
NM2K

I did buy a Saito FG-36 some time ago. Kind of wish I had waited and bought a smaller version, not that there is anything wrong with the FG-36. Right after I bought it, my legs gave out and my modelling has been as near to zero as possible. I'm losing weight so that these puny "birdie legs", as my wife calls them, will support my weight again. I am making serious progress.

Anyway, lately I have been interested in the DLE gas two-strokes that are made in China. You can't beat the price and their reputation is holding up fairly well. As I age, I desire less and less problems and work to overcome when flying. I can see the appeal that electric models must have for the older crowd. But I'm not quite ready to give up the ring-ding-ding and thumpa-thumpa-thumpa of two and four-stroke IC engines.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 AM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

I have a Roto 35fs on it's way. If I get time and weather permits I will do some testing.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: wingburner

I have a Roto 35fs on it's way. If I get time and weather permits I will do some testing.

May I ask why you chose the Roto 35? I'm not familiar with that engine, though I know that RCS carried them for a long time. I used to be quite an RCS customer. I believe Troy Built Models acquired RCS and its engines.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

Mainly because I like to try different things. Life gets stagnant playing follow the leader. I also believe they are of very high quality. Also preferred the design and compactness over what else was available.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Gezuz

Well Wingburner
Looking forward to read your comments and testing of this engine. Where did you order your engine from?