JCINTEXAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default First Gas Engine

I have flown glow engines for many years and have never had a gasoline engine....but I'm seriously thinking about switching to gas. I would like to get some advice about which gas engines offer the best "bang for the buck". In particular, what about the following engines?
XY 50cc A-Spec Gas engine
FTL45 Gas engine
SV 26cc Gas Engine

Regards
JC
Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: First Gas Engine

In all that you listed the FTL 45 would be my last choice, Some run good and some have posted with problems and if you have a problem it takes months to get warranty parts.

The other two I think are sold by US dealers and have support.

Looking again I think you are looking at these at United Hobby, If so you will ahve the same with them all as the FTL

One more edit

Do some homework here on the universe and buy from someone that will give you support for what you buy.

Milton
Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am in the same boat.I looked at the ftl 52 and its tempting but I am seeing post reports that would lead me away from them..I am eyeing the DL50 and I saw them in action at our last IMAA and pretty impressive as long as you go with the version 2. the earlier model had issues with the muffler breaking. and even more recently I saw reports that if your buying it from say united hobbies beware of fakes. the price is very good but I understand the best and most reliable source is DLUSA.they back and service what they sell.you'll pay a few bucks more and at 360 or 390 still a good deal.friends of mine flying 50cc planes love them as da50's are soooooo expensive.lastly I see rcs has a 50cc class gasser at a reasonable price comparable to the dl50.I have a g23 on a cub and love it but will upgrade to a 26cc.I am seeing more planes coming available to fly the 26cc.I have to confess I did have a 3w 60 and man what a powerhouse but for me the aircraft were just to damn big to transport and support. would love to know what you ended up with.are you looking at 27 percent ??
Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM
JCINTEXAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote: "are you looking at 27 percent ?? "

I must admit I'm ignorant about % of full-scale and the many different gas models available.
I just know I want to fly aerobatic models with wingspans up to around 80 inches and weights up to perhaps 15 lbs.
My thinking is that I don't want planes so large that they require multiple servos on control surfaces.
I guess I am going to need to learn about multiple batteries and regulators, Smart Flys or whatever.
The only reason I'm considering gas engines is because of the huge price increases on glow fuel.
Regards
JC
Old 09-14-2008, 12:45 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A 80" wing span is around 27%

The only thing that I an trying to tell you is save yourself some headaches when buying the engine and buy from someone here in the US that will support you and answer your question about them.
If you by from a China base site all you get is what comes in the mail and if you have problems you are on your own, Being new to gas engines that is the last thing you need.

Shop wise

Milton
Old 09-14-2008, 01:51 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My opinion is to start in the 84" to 87" airframes, they support a 50cc engine much better than the 77-80" airframes, and the cost difference is minimal. Look at Wildhare, good inexpensive airplanes and great customer support. Also only 1 servo per flight surface. He also has good combination specials with the 3MM engine.

http://www.wildharerc.com/
Old 09-14-2008, 04:20 PM
mikeboyd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IMHO, all that has already been said is good, free advice. I own at least one of all the mentioned engines, and to date, have not had a problem with any of them, (just lucky, I guess)

The new generation DL50 is awesome, for the money. I just ordered #2 from DL USA, here in Texas. I have an old one in a Lanier 87" Extra that weighs almost 16.5#s. I am using a mejlik 22X8, still on break in fuel and the engine spins almost 8grand with unlimited vertical. We are only 800 feet above sea level at our flying field in San Antonio. When I first took this plane to the field, I let everyone just think it was a DA 50, since they look alike. Several that owned DA's made the comment, that they couldn't believe the power and response from this engine, and it wasn't broken in yet. They were really surprised to find out, it was a DL and cost half of the DA's price. Don't get me wrong, I love my DA and 3W engines, you get what you pay for most of the time, but the DL is truly amazing for the cost.

The XYZ 50 is really just 47cc's and doesn't even come close to the power of the DL and is much heavier than the DL as well.
I have a STL 45 from HC that puts out better power than the XYZ, so I bought a 52, but it doesn't seem to be as tight and strong as the 45. Of course, each engine is different, and some require allot of break-in before developing their full potential.

Bob at DLUSA said he should be getting a new shipment in Irving next Tuesday, so you may want to get yours ordered, before he runs out again. They do go fast, even at $390 each, with standoffs, muffler and ignition, what are you waiting for?

Good luck and welcome to gas.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 PM
skip1320

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any of these should fulfill your needs with service in USA, http://www.zrcgf.com/
Old 09-14-2008, 06:09 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Once you go gas you won't look back!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Like stated in earlier posts.Do some checking around the gas forum and get a feel for what people are talking about and using.Ask people questions by sending them PMs if necessary.This lets them be a little more truthful and unbiased.Already posted by someone check out these people,i bought my first engine from them and am happy and impressed.
www.zrcgf.com
If ya need any extra answers and dont feel like posting to a lot of people PM me.

Matt
[link=http://www.rcgf.com]RCGF-USA[/link]
Old 09-16-2008, 10:14 PM
JCINTEXAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you could keep and fly just one gas engine......which one would it be?
JC
Old 09-16-2008, 11:05 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alright,ill answer.I do my own conversion engines ill say first.Ive only owned 3 manufactured engines to date.2 of them where Zenoahs[G45GT80].1 of them now is a RCGF26cc.In alll honesty,just because i havent broke my 26cc in yet,and only having one other brand.I would have to say Zenoah as of right now.My second would be RCGF.The reason for this is because i wont pay anybody a high price when i see posts all the time in the forums about ALL the engines.No matter who makes them.Evry day there is somone posting somthing about a name brand engine except,i said Except the guys that have been flying them for years and are in my eyes experts.We all know who they are because evrybody,Including me,look at there posts everytime they post just to look for that last bit of professional advice that will make our lives with our engine live in perfect harmony.Most of the time its somthing as simple as adjusting a carb properly,wich if i paid over $300.00 for a 23cc engine the manual better have an explanation about evrything with pics.If i paid over $1000 for anything it better come with manual,cd with video,and free consultation for the first year..Now,remember i havent owned a lot of different engines,so im limited on evrything thats out there.