Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

rc guys decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
extra777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc guys decathlon

Who can tell where I can buy an rc guys decathlon from .???
I know it is on Chief aircraft's products list but I would rather get it from an other shop.
Has anybody tried a DL50 or DA50 on this decathlon???Is it much too powerfull or manageable?
Thanx for your help.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rc guys decathlon

Buy it direct if you want. Big thread right here- [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5085039/anchors_8124548/mpage_34/anchor/tm.htm#8124548#8124548[/link]

DL 50 would be my choice.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

www.rcguys.com . Looks like a fun airplane!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw it at Toledo. Nice plane. Any good 50 will be a lot of engine for it. Lots of wing area!!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Piston

Hey All
The RC Guys Decathalon is a great looking and flying plane!!! The boys there did a great job with the design and build of it. The plane really only needs a strong 26cc to power it. Anything more is way overkill and unnecessary.

A 50cc is totally not necessary. You will be flying the plane at 1/4 throttle.

Best to all

Henry

Henry Zwolak
[link=http://www.zrcgf.com]RCGF Engines - North America[/link]
Old 11-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I want one of these. Been wishing I had the cash for about a year now. I have a 35cc chainsaw engine or a Fox 3.2 sitting here. Given the wing area, weight of the plane and my altitude of 6000' .... I'll probably use the 50cc engine. I need to just knuckle up and buy one. Been putting it off. Eventually they will run out of stock again and we all know that you rarely see more than 2 production runs for an ARF.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on how they sell. If they sell good by the second production run all the manufacturers will have a version of it.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 PM
extra777

Hi, everyone,
The reason why I'd like to know where this beautiful aircraft could be ordered is because I am fed up with Chief Aircraft and its boring salesman.Looks like he has a poor opinion about his customers.
If anyone can state an other shop I suscribe right away.
About the engine now:I now any 50 gas will be too much ,but if you consider an OS FS200 for instance ,total weight will be close and cost will be higher.DL 50 is very cheap and gas engines very easy to use.It's no problem to have the thrust lever close to idle...
Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Get it direct from www.rcguys.com I ordered mine from Chief and it was drop-shipped from RC Guys' warehouse, cost more for shipping too than if I'd ordered direct. Bummer![>:] BTW, 50cc is overkill, IMHO.

CR
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
bjboise406

I have the RC Guys Decathalon. I have a MLD 28 on the firewall. This is plenty of motor. I can only think what will happen with a 50cc up front. Throttle management is one thing, ripping the wings off is another...
Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Super08

Also with a 50cc it will be nose heavy. I have a 43cc on mine. I had to custom mount the rudder servo in the tail as well as my batteries to get it to balance. You would have to do something similar.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Super08

Also with a 50cc it will be nose heavy. I have a 43cc on mine. I had to custom mount the rudder servo in the tail as well as my batteries to get it to balance. You would have to do something similar.
Where do the servos mount? If they mount inside the fuselage, it might be nose heavy.

But it's not all that hard to put 3 servos in the tail for the elevators and the rudder. 6oz of weight in the tail would be about equal to 1lb 3oz on the nose. Problem solved.

50cc engine at 6000' wouldn't be too much. It would probably torque roll and hover, but you can always throttle back when flying level. [8D]
Old 01-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Super08

The way it comes the two elevator servos mount in the tail and the rudder is a pull-pull. If you go back in the Decathlon thead, myself and I think it was cmoulder put our rudder servo in the tail under the left side elevator servo. It is an easy mod. There are others in the thread that have installed a DL or DA. I have a Fuji 43 in mine which is just lightly less weight than the DL.

Here is the link to cmoulders rudder servo pic. Mine is in the same spot.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6809213

Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 PM
rc300xs

My RC Guys Decathlon arrives this weekend along with a DLE 30.

I currently have a hangar9 cessna 182 and was out flying with a friend that has the RC Guys Cessna 150. after looking this plane over and then flying it, I was convinced and had to get a bird from these guys. Since I had a cessna already I went for the Decathlon. I might add that both our cessnas are running g26's with 18x8's and his 150 way out flew my 182 by far!

Anyways....Friday will come and I'll give my two cents.

Going with a 20x6 Xoar and sullivan skywriter

Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 PM
BadAzzMaxx

I have heard nothing but good things about this plane, most have installed a 50+ cc engine on them, Let us know how the 30 works on it.

Milton
Old 08-25-2010, 11:56 PM
rc300xs

This plane floats along like a piper cub and lands very slow with the DLE 30. If I open the throttle it turns into a new plane! It does all the scale aerobatics the full scale does but better. Not so good for hovering around but does do excellent tail slides!With smoke it's even better. This is the best plane I have flown yet. Iprefer to fly it over the Extra. If you make the plane stall you can make it do some pretty cool stuff before it recovers. The DLE 30 is a perfect match for this plane. Iplaced one of the 4 batteries behind the would-be back seat, about in the middle of the rear windows or so. Other than that the plane balanced on the wing tube. The plane will maintain a very slow climb verticaly with the DLE30. If I go full throttle and then pull into a vertical it will slow down till it almost stops and then slowly keep climbing. The motor has only 2 gallons on it. 20x6 Zinger at the moment.

Hints:
-Before you get out the heat gun! First check to make sure that there are no gaps in the covering where it joins together. I had 3 spots like that and found one as it opened up from the heat gun.
-MUST IRON ALLTHETRIM!! you will lose it otherwise!
-Use your own hardware
-Don't glue windsheild or top canopy, use screws so you can access better.
-Stiffen up the balsa around the top canopy, its very weak and in a spot prone to break.
-Open covering at strut attachment points and either add hardwood or stiffen with CA. Balsa crushes if you don't.
-Purchase new wheels!!! The hubs will break on the stock ones. You can go up to 4.5 inch as I did using DUBRO smooth inflatables. (little bit of dremel work but worth it!)

PROS
-Very well built and flies superb!
-Very decent price for what you get out of it.

CONS
-Trim
-hardware
-wheels
-wing strut mounting

Would I buy another if I crashed this one? Definately!
Iwould also recommend this bird to you!

Ryan

Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM
wyo69cowboy

Nice little review! I've been wanting one of these since I saw one last summer at a local fly in. I'm thinking one of the new JBA 50's would be nice. Cheap 50cc and some smoke would be nice on this 98" wing!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
[email protected]

hey I have a rcguys decathalon yes dle 30 plenty of power and then some my question is do you mix rudder and ail or what to make it turn smooth
Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM
rc300xs

I mixed rudder and aileron in regular flying mode but didn't add it to the stunt mode. I found this plane likes to yaw a lot while turning. Mixing helped.