Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fiber optic Kill switch

Old 08-25-2003, 01:17 AM
JimRoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiber optic Kill switch

Rcgreg,
I had a G-38 mounted on my extra300 xs and a servo operated kill switch mounted in the fuselage. When I wanted to stop the engine I simply, using my retract channel, flipped the switch and the engine died right then. When I restarted all I had to do was prop it a couple of times and it started right up. I did find out that Zenoah engines are a bit cold natured and like to idle for a minute before you open the throttle very much.

I've heard a lot of marginal things about Z's but mine was an excellent running engine, (still is) and it produced tons of power.
I never got to measure the thrust but it tuned an APC 20 X 8 at over 7000 rpm. I also discovered why my Extra didn't fly too well.
I weighed it the other night on my digital scale........

Weighed out at a whopping 17 lbs. Took the G-38 off and replaced it with a G-26 and now it weighs 13 lb 13 oz. Still heavy but it's better. Now I'm trying to figure out how to take off another pound or so. Also it balances 4 3/8" from leading edge next to the fuselage. I think that's too far back so I gotta do something to move it forward a little.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:35 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Guys,

Its not about how to stop the motor under normal circumstances..
I think this thread has stated the good and bad about every conceivable way to shut the motor down under normal conditions.

My main reason to get the FO Kill is because I have seen too many guys have a problem in-flight related to the motor where they cant get it to idle down for landing.
Dead servo, loose muffler (which will change how the motor runs and may or may not shut down when asked to)
Broken throttle linkage etc etc etc....
They fly around hoping the batts will last longer than the fuel in the tank.

I am going to use it as a back up to my normal method of shutting down the motor.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:38 AM
JimRoss

Default Well Spoken

I agree with Wayne, there is no perfect way to kill an engine that works for everyone, Just Do It, by whatever means.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:54 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

The reason to use a radio control choke is to kill two birds with one stone.. Kill the engine, and able to choke the engine without getting your finger in the wrong place.

BTW, when I decided to use the choke system to kill the engine should the need arise in the air, I mounted the engine on a test stand and stopped using the choke at a lot of different rpm's. It restarted with no problems at all. I went out and installed on my ZDZ 80 Boxer and never looked back. Its been 3 years now and it works flawelessly.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:24 AM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

I think your right about restarts after killing the ignition.My 3W 106 kicks some serious butt. I stop it with the fiber optic sw. Restarts so easy, seems like the right amount of fuel and air is ready to light right up again. I only use the choke to start it when it's cold. Why do you think your car, motorcycle, lawnmower,weedwhacker and every other gas engine you own stops the engine by stopping the spark. Choking the engine to stop it just loads it up with fuel fouling the plugs, and you know what happens when the plug gets carbon fouling and wet with gas, you can flip it till your arm falls off! See Ya!
Old 08-25-2003, 02:30 AM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Default Where's the cheapest place to buy these?

Are they only available through Electrodynamic direct? I'm thinking of buying one, maybe even two.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:07 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by BasinBum
I don't know what's funnier...Roger being bashful about promoting his fiber optics or that Rick asked this question of him.
LOL,
Sorry guys, FWIW Rogers couplings look awesome. I still don't like the idea of servos up there - but I didn't realize Roger sells them.

I have a couple of gallons through the aircraft now and I'm pleased with the F/O kill. IMO it works awesome.

Dayrl,
I am only familiar with the Elecro dynamics one, but I hear there's another. Just don't tell me if it costs less
RickP
Old 08-25-2003, 01:06 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

OK, we won't tell you. It's around $20. I just installed one in my 40% Carden Cap and it works fine. I do however also have 2 EDR units which also work fine. Here's a thread on it ->
rcat]
Old 08-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Cbastian

rcgreg!
You explained my quest very well, and no......I`m not confused anymore. Ì`ll buy me a killer.

Cbastian
Old 08-26-2003, 11:37 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by bob_nj
OK, we won't tell you. It's around $20.
Okay,
Thanks for not telling me bob LOL. I actually saw that thread, but that switch is a relay right? Asome Idea, but I still wanted to try the fiber optic...
RickP
Old 08-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Buy the best and you will never regret it! You get what you pay for!