Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Which Prop for Gasser 26cc

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:11 PM
RobertD.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Prop for Gasser 26cc

I have noticed most guy's with gas engines use wooden props or carbon fiber props. Is there a danger in using the nylon props or is this because of realistic effect? What are the advantages or disadvantage of the use of each? Thanks Robert
Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Prop for Gasser 26cc

RobertD.,

On my G26 I've ran the APC 17X6 prop and the added weight of the APC will let you get away with a little lower idle. I'm now running the XOAR wood prop and it gives the engine a little quicker spool up. I like the new painted XOAR props.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It makes no difference if you want to run a plastic prop. I see lots of guys using Master Airscrew props on small gassers.

Thats not saying the plastic props pull any better. The only way to figure out which prop works best on your engine and airframe is to buy about $200 worth of props and fly them all. The prop that works good on this engine and airframe won't work worth a poop on the next airframe wit the exact same engine. Each airframe has it's own unique drag and handling characteristics.

Use what makes ya happy.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 AM
liquid_TR

Using APC would not be feasable on bigger engines as it would get incredibly heavy on your plane and your wallet.

MA plastic and wood props are truly useless when it comes to maximum prop efficiency.

Xoar, NX, JXF, etc.. type of wooden props are more efficient, much lighter and cheaper to buy. Plus they look much better than both APC and MA IMO.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if a guy could buy a wood Master A. prop at a swapmeet cheap...and take your time and reshape it. Might be fun! Capt,n
Old 11-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: liquid_TR

Using APC would not be feasable on bigger engines as it would get incredibly heavy on your plane and your wallet.

MA plastic and wood props are truly useless when it comes to maximum prop efficiency.

Xoar, NX, JXF, etc.. type of wooden props are more efficient, much lighter and cheaper to buy. Plus they look much better than both APC and MA IMO.
Actually, APC props cost less than wood props and the extra weight is not a factor in most cases and comes in handy when you need a little extra weight up front for CG, idle, etc. I have ran a 16X8 Master Airscrew prop on my G26 and it seem to work fine. I just prefer the APC or the XOAR "The Sword" line of propellers that are painted as they give your plane a nice look and the prop really produces more thrust than some of the others. I use nothing but the APC 17X6 prop on my OS 120AX engines.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:34 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 17x6 on my Test Gas/glow engine. Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19139.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1080174  
Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 AM
61ahs

In my mind I fly like Chuck Yeager. In reality I fly like Joe Average.

A ground strike with a wooden prop usually results in nothing more than a broken prop. A ground strike with an APC prop often results in a bent crankshaft, broken firewall, etc.

I use wooden props.

Rick
Old 11-28-2008, 09:33 PM
RobertD.

I am starting out with a 16x8 APC, the engine is 26 Evolution on a Showtime 90. I have read a couple of post from a guy that had this same setup and he was using a 17x8. I will test it with what I have and then go larger if needed. My original post was that I had concerns of using APC props because of some sort of danger issue. Never hurts to ask. Better to ask than to find out while your in the hospital from some sort of injury, from the prop coming apart. I saw a 14x 4W come off an OS61FX running max RPM, because of a loose prop nut. It snacthed the engine from the fire wall and slung that prop about 30 ft. I promise you that will leave a mark if you get hit with it. Thanks Guys I will post my findings or what I settle with. Thanks Again Robert
Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 PM
RobertD.

Captian, what kind of engine is that you have on your test stand ?