Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Is there something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 PM
flaminheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there something wrong?

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3W120-B-2-MAGNUM-FACTORY-PORTED-NEVER-RUN-GERMAN_W0QQitemZ180310883624QQihZ008QQcategoryZ340 55QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]

This engine has been listed several times with the price getting cheaper. Is there some reason why this has not sold?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Is there something wrong?

Don't know if there is anything wrong with the engine but who would know without seeing it in person. It is several years old so even if it is unused, it is old right out of the box. Interesting, it is pictured with a DA ignition module.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Doubt there is anything wrong. Engine is probably 6-8 years old and beefier/heavier than current gassers in this size range (which makes it undesirable to today's 3D flyers and wannabes).

It is a good price for a new engiine.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Ram Jet

Stout looking engine and it should run vibration free. Why not put it on an ultralite? The carb looks like one I had on a Go Cart years ago - a Tillitson. I guarantee it's a "pumper" carb. No need for a fuel pump. Nice large cooling fins. I would make sure I could get parts for it. Ask the seller for the manufacturers website or address.

Bill
Old 12-02-2008, 01:26 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People into this size and type of engine are folks that want the latest and the greatest. Not something over a half a decade old.

You might be able to build an ultralight that will fly your dog or cat with this engine, but not a human being of normal girth and height. I've seen a few delta hang gliders that were assisted by 15 HP engines, but never heard of one rising off the ground without jumping off a cliff. I'd need at least 60 HP to get my blubber off the ground. My 60 HP motorcycle has come close to it a few times. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
arobatx

Maybe I was just dreaming, but a very long time ago, before DA was selling their own engines...I'm pretty sure they used to sell the 3W engines. Perhaps this would account for the ignition noticed in the pic as well? Anyone else remember this being true?....maybe I have finally lost my mind, I dunno
Old 12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your mind is safe. DA used to be a 3W dealer.

I surmise when they developed their own engine the franchise was either lost or surrendered due to conflict of interest.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Your mind is safe. DA used to be a 3W dealer.

I surmise when they developed their own engine the franchise was either lost or surrendered due to conflict of interest.

DA did sell 3W engines long ago and that is a early 3W engine. That engine was called a 120, but it was really more like 112cc or so.

So yes, it is the real deal, but a very early version. You could always call DA and ask them about this engine.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DA originated from a 3w dealership. There weren't all that many differences between the early DA150's and 3w engines BTW, ALL engines are "factory ported". The question is always just how well
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: arobatx

Maybe I was just dreaming, but a very long time ago, before DA was selling their own engines...I'm pretty sure they used to sell the 3W engines. Perhaps this would account for the ignition noticed in the pic as well? Anyone else remember this being true?....maybe I have finally lost my mind, I dunno
I bought a 3W-60 from DA back in '96. But the ignition box clearly said 3W on it at the time. The jugs on the engine in the picture look very much like the one on that 60. That was a piston port engine but the picture doesn't show that side of the jugs to see if they have a port there. Of course, there was also the 3W-60 rear intake engine which is more likely the source of the 120 jugs.

Of course Chad, you could be losing your mind because of all that white crap outside these days?!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

The 3-x 120 weigh 2lbs heaver then any 100cc does now but will put out more power. I'm still using mine after 20 years. When it dies I've been told that I can't get it fixed. I guess I've gotten more then my money back. This engine has never given me any reason to regret buying it. It always works every time. I now have it in a H-9 260. Had to put the battery's in the rear to get it to balance. Using a Vess 28A. Can't fell the 2lbs in the air. Dennis
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
arobatx

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Of course Chad, you could be losing your mind because of all that white crap outside these days?!
....today especially, boy its coming down out there.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

I would guess that the vintage of the engine is between 1986 and 1994. Gerhard should have parts to these engines at Aircraft International. The original ignition has disappeared and somebody has substituted a DA ignition. It should work fine. If you need mufflers, call Gerhard.

Elson
Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if that engine ever spent any time in Maryland. The DA ignition swap leads in that direction.