Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First Time Gasser

After many years out of the hobby, I'm back in. Flew glow engines for years but here recently, I'm going to start off on a .40 sized sport trainer and a .46 Little Stick I'm building now. After that, I'm done with glow. The prices of fuel, glow plugs and other stuff to keep'em running is rediculous.

My plan is to buy a Sig Rascal 110 and put a 26cc gas engine on it. Reading all of these review threads on here and other places has got me lost as to which 26cc to get. CRRC, SPE, Evolution, MVVS, Zenoah.... What would you experts recommend? I don't mind tinkering with stuff as I've built and tuned trubo drag car engines for years. But these days, price is a concern so I would like the best bang for the buck I can get.

Thanks!
    \"Hey!!! That tree was NOT there when I took off!!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: First Time Gasser

Homi 30cc weadie. Make your oun for about $100. Smoothest, lightest, cheapest. Most power goes to the 3W28.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t put the bullet in the fire and you quit talking about my mother! \"Cosby, Shop Class, 1968 or so\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: altavillan

Homi 30cc weadie. Make your oun for about $100. Smoothest, lightest, cheapest. Most power goes to the 3W28.
    Where does one procure a Homelite 30cc engine and conversion at. Any particular model Homelite 30?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

find them on ebay, or at a saw repair shop. Ask in the engine conversion forum here on rcu.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t put the bullet in the fire and you quit talking about my mother! \"Cosby, Shop Class, 1968 or so\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go with a Zenoah G20 or G26. Stone dead reliable, good support if needed. It will make your first gas experence a good one.
    If you like to tinker the the 25-30cc homie is a very good idea.
    If bang for the buck is important then look at the new MLD 28. Its same weight/size as the SPE 26 but has about 1000 rpm more power on the same prop.
    TKG
    Too much power is just about right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do both! Tinker with for free engines, but get a engine like TKG is talking about. Chances are you will learn all about tinkering and adjusting with the free engine, but when it comes to fun and reliability, you will want to get a dedicated RC engine. Capt,n
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's all very good advice, but as Capt'n suggested do both and get the very best of both worlds. Like TKG said those are reliable and user friendly engines for a first timer in gas to power your model for your enjoyment, and then you can try your hand on any suitable engine to convert for tinkering and to gain experience.

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SpinnerRow,

I have the Sig Rascal 110 with a G26/EI from Ralph Cunningham at RC Ignitions. Great running engine swinging a XOAR 16X8 prop. I've had a few of the cheap ones but the Zenoah seems to be the best with more power.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67960.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	1083296  
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"
    http://www.evansvillercclub.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zippi

SpinnerRow,

I have the Sig Rascal 110 with a G26/EI from Ralph Cunningham at RC Ignitions. Great running engine swinging a XOAR 16X8 prop. I've had a few of the cheap ones but the Zenoah seems to be the best with more power.
    Love that plane. Can't wait to own one! What does he charge for his G26/EIs. I don't seem much information on his site and I haven't gotten a return email from him either (sent a couple of days ago).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'll have better luck by phone:

Ralph Cunningham
    928 635 2455

...just remember he has a life too So give him a break, and keep trying...worth the wait.
    Chad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: altavillan

Where does one procure a Homelite 30cc engine and conversion at. Any particular model Homelite 30?
    http://www.carrprecision.com/Pages/prod02.htm
    Rich Border AMA 77727
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SpinnerRow,

Ralph makes a good quality engine for a fair price and he stands behind his work. It's winter so get your order in now.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SpinnerRow,

I purchased a First Place Engines 1.3 for this model. I have flown this model for one year now, mostly to introduce newbies to RC. This was my first gas engine model. I have had an very good experience with this engine/model combination. I was told that the Rascal 110 was designed for the FPE 1.3. It does fit nicely in the cowl. The engine has performed flawlessly. This engine/model combination will not give you any more performance than is needed for the sport/trainer/fun role.

Mitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Rascal 110 manual refers to an FPE 1.3 gas engine and it also refers to a Saito 1.50. Both are very good engines but just because these engines were used in the manual does not mean they would make the best setup. There are a host of other engines on the market that would work well in the Rascal 110. I have seen a G23, G26, G38, Saito 125, Saito 180, CRRC 45cc, Electric, etc. They all fly the plane well and it is a joy to fly. What jmb52760 is doing as far as using the Rascal to train new comers is a great idea. The plane is that predictable in the air. I have let other club members fly my Rascal and they seem to really like it.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am considering the Homelite route as well for my first gasser engine since I found a complete 25cc Homie engine for FREE (always good) while I was at the local dump getting rid of some waste.

Anyways, my question is this: in regards to the website that soarrich posted (http://www.carrprecision.com/Pages/prod02.htm) the conversion kit for $45 doesn't mention anything about the flywheel. I was under the impression that you also had to machine the flywheel. Also on the website under the Homie 25cc conversion it looks like the prop hub assembly is plastic? Is that true? I would prefer aluminum.Unless of course it is black anodizd aluminum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

most likely anodized or powder coated/painted aluminum.

the flywheel doesn't "have" to be machined, it doesn't save that much weight and without a shroud around it it isn't going to use too much power, don't go too nuts on removing aluminum, all together there's probably 3 ounces of extra aluminum involved in the front part behind the flywheel, I would leave a fair amount so the coil mount lasts a good long time.

check the "engine conversions" forum for more on converting the engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks rangerfredbob.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can't go wrong with the Zenoah G26 with ignition by Ralph Cunnngham. He is the best in the business, and for a small gas engine, Zenoah G26 can't be beat. There are probably other engines in this size that are OK, but the G26 is a sure bet with quality that is the highest. Ralph may have one to sell...worth a try.

Cajuncharley

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He may also have a cheap conversion just laying around....
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used an MVVS 26 (Evolution 26cc)

See this post about the installation http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26..._1/key_/tm.htm
    See this post for the cowl http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3035752

regards
    Tim
    regards
    Tim