Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Zenoah EI engines - why such current hogs?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah EI engines - why such current hogs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah EI engines - why such current hogs?

Capt,n one of the things that made going gas attractive other than the high cost of glow fuel and the mess it gave, was the fact that I did not have to take much of anything other than my model, the Tx and the gas pan to fly.

Karol
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Karol, I bet you have a lot of nice warm weather to fly there. Maybe even float flying. Up here in Michigan USA...it is very cold now and about knee deep snow on the ground. If things work out though, we will be in Florida in a couple of weeks, I hope. Capt,n
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Propwash-don
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is a good source for the single cell 3.7 volt lipo batteries to use with the G-20-EI if I decide to take that root?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don,
What about ordering them from Tony Clark @ pratical scale. This is the guy recommending there use, and he has a pack set up for that.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Propwash-don
My Feedback: (37)

Thanks Motorman, I can always count on you to send me down the right path. Will not get around to my G-20 project till late next year, so I don't know weather to wait or get a battery now.

Don
Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 PM
karolh

Capt,n really wish that I could send you some of our sunshine and warm weather as down it's basically summer all year round so it's just fly, fly, fly, except of course for the occassional tropical storm or hurricane.

Karol
Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 PM
karolh

Sorry, double post []

Karol
Old 12-24-2008, 12:28 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

Sorry, double post []

Karol
Thats ok on the double post...just send us double sunshine and warm weather! Capt,n
Old 12-24-2008, 02:35 PM
karolh

Really wish that I could Capt,n but what I can send I will and that is, Season's greetings and a Merry Christmas to you all and may your holidays be safe, enjoyable, and God blessed.

Karol
Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

AJ, I think what everyone is concerned about is the fact that, as you said in your post, a very large pack "2400mah" will last for 3 - 20 min flights. That's a big pack for only one hour of flying. My CH's will run over 2 hrs on 800mah NiMH AAA's and if you do the math about 6 hrs on the 2400mah sub-c monster you are referring to. I'm not sure about the earlier posting that claimed the high consumption was needed for the high rpm boat world, but I am using one of my CH's on a gasoline converted Supertigre G51 turning over 15,000 on the ground without skipping a beat. I don't own a factory Zenoah engine with EI but I do have a G-26 that I put a CH on and love it. I have shy'ed away from the G20 because of the high current draw issue so maybe it is something they should take a look at as I know others who have pulled back from a purchase as well for just that reason. Just my two cents.

To be honest, I know the ignition I am running pulls near 2 amps at full throttle, and since in that airframe I am actually flying a lot at idle to 1/2 power, and very rarely extended at full, I bet I could get 1.5 hours on that 2400 pack. But I havnt flown to where it start to run rough/misses.

I am not saying the ignition is ideal - and when I did the review I spoke to the reps at Horizon who said they were looking into it (whatever that means). All I was trying to say was, as a "regular Joe" who is actually flying the stock engine/ignition with really good success, it is worth a try rather than immediately oging to an aftermarket ignition.

SInce I rarely bring just one model to the field, and in my case, two wing bolts gets my battery swapped out in a matter of a couple minutes tops, the fact I can fly all afternoon with one or two extra packs is no biggie.

My plan is to keep flying the stock ignition to see just how long it keeps working. I actually fly the 120 stick a lot and the G20 is one of the nicest little engines I have ran. It sips fuel like a .25 glow engine!

Its too bad a lot of people probably are not trying the G20ei simply due to the fact the ignition draws a lot of juice relative to a C&H, etc. They are missing out on a great little engine and thats too bad.

AJC
Old 12-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Propwashdon,
Lipo's start to deteriate the moment they are made, so I would not purchase one untill you are ready to use it. There shelf life starts when they created not charged for the first time. I still think yopu would be happier with a C&H ignition set-up though, as it will run on a $18-20 dollar battery, and you do not need any fussy lipo's then.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:41 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Carry around a big honking battery and have fun.... If the ignition craters the CH conversion is $95.00 instead of $162.00 for a Zenoah replacement.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:14 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tkg

Carry around a big honking battery and have fun.... If the ignition craters the CH conversion is $95.00 instead of $162.00 for a Zenoah replacement.
Kind of what I was getting at, but didnt put so eloquently I agree, 110%!

AJC
Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

xyz