Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on the Fuji BT-86 appreciated.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Any thoughts on the Fuji BT-86 appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 02:32 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on the Fuji BT-86 appreciated.

Looking into engines for a Great planes 1/3 scale Extra. The Fuji BT-86 has an attractive price tag, but how is it REALLY? Any comments appreciated. GRANTED, I know better engines exist, I was wondering about THIS engine in particular.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Dave
Old 06-03-2003, 03:16 PM
sirmombo

Default Any thoughts on the Fuji BT-86 appreciated.

I saw that same combo at the field last night for it's maiden flight.
He was getting around 6300 RPM with a Mejlik 24X10 prop and the engine was very smooth. I only saw the first flight and the pilot didn't do a lot of aerobatics, but it seemed to have more than enough power for sport flying. I don't know how well it would do 3D stuff.

The engine had the electric start which was very, very cool. If you add in that $300, you're in the same price range as a DA-100 or 3W-100. But the electric start looked extremely cool.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Duncan James

Default RE: Any thoughts on the Fuji BT-86 appreciated.

I have been using a Fuji 86 for the past three summers. The Fuji is mounted on an 8' Lazy Ace biplane. My Fuji is the older one that does not have battery powered ignition. I use a very high torque starter and 24 volts to start the engine. My very powerful starter would not spin the engine fast enough to activate the ignition on 12 volts. I an turning a Zinger 22x10 @ 6200 to 6400 RPM. The engine is very hard on spark plugs. I average about 6 hours of running per set of plugs. I am satisfied but not thrilled with the engine. As a comparison I am running an MVVS 58 @ 6400 RPM with a 23x10 Bambola. The smaller MVVS is stronger and easier to operate.
Duncan
Old 08-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Well I can't tell by your post if you already own the engine... it also doesnt say what type of flying you do or the performace you are looking to get. At any rate here is some food for thought.

Lighter planes fly better.

The Fuji engine alone weighs 6.6 pounds and costs $699.

A 3w 80 is more powerful and costs $600 right now at aircraftinternational.com and weighs 5.05 pounds.

A ZDZ RV-J which will turn a 26x10 prop at 6500 costs $675 at troybuiltmodels.com and weighs 4 pounds.

Anymore questions?

Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Thanks guys but I posted this over three years ago and now only fly DA-150s. Thanks though. dave
Old 08-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

hahahaha

man how did thsi get brought back up? I didnt even look at the date