Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

IS IT TOO DARN MUCH TO ASK???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: IS IT TOO DARN MUCH TO ASK???????

Welcome to the Credit Card Flyers generation.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this mean I have to snap double edge razor blades in half when I cut out my balsa kit??? Cover my planes with silk and dope.??? Am I a wimp because I use a store bought radio and not the latest Heathkit that I built my self???
Just because we have did it the hard way 50 years ago doesn't mean we still have to do it that way now.
Templates are simple, practical and easy, an that's bad???
Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I was going to stay out of this until a MODERATOR posted that ridiculous, huge font opinion apparently directing the original poster to go become a modeler. First, I think a MODERATOR should model a higher standard of posting etiquette than this, but that's just my opinion. Second, several of you are flaming AJF-2 and I would daresay you are doing so out of complete ignorance. You probably don't even know the guy, or his name, or his modeling history, and none of you have any right or business to get so damned inflammatory with your sarcasm and stupid fonts to insult someone that very likely knows a thing or two.

He was asking a simple question, expressing frustration at manufacturers who can't seem to do the "simple things". IMO, nothing wrong with that, and I'm absolutely sure he can make his own template for just about anything. So can I, but that wasn't the point of the post. The point of his post (and his emphasis) was to point out to manufacturers and sellers that there isn't a good reason to NOT provide a template.

Personally, I agree with AJF-2, and I've done a few templates for a few manufacturers who apparently DO NOT have someone capable of doing it, just so that the manufacturer could provide a link.

Back off the guy, if you don't know him.
And MODERATOR - act like one!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

I was going to stay out of this until a MODERATOR posted that ridiculous, huge font opinion apparently directing the original poster to go become a modeler. First, I think a MODERATOR should model a higher standard of posting etiquette than this, but that's just my opinion. Second, several of you are flaming AJF-2 and I would daresay you are doing so out of complete ignorance. You probably don't even know the guy, or his name, or his modeling history, and none of you have any right or business to get so damned inflammatory with your sarcasm and stupid fonts to insult someone that very likely knows a thing or two.

He was asking a simple question, expressing frustration at manufacturers who can't seem to do the "simple things". IMO, nothing wrong with that, and I'm absolutely sure he can make his own template for just about anything. So can I, but that wasn't the point of the post. The point of his post (and his emphasis) was to point out to manufacturers and sellers that there isn't a good reason to NOT provide a template.

Personally, I agree with AJF-2, and I've done a few templates for a few manufacturers who apparently DO NOT have someone capable of doing it, just so that the manufacturer could provide a link.

Back off the guy, if you don't know him.
And MODERATOR - act like one!!!!!!!
Amen to that!!!!!

Not sure the other moderators would do that. I know some of them from the beginners forum, just not their style.
Thanks Bob
Gene

And yes I can make templates also, but I purchased a new gas engine and the company did provide a template. Makes the job easier. just my 2c
Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 AM
eugene

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Do what I did for my SV 26. Take a piece of paper and set the engine on it with the standoffs mounted. Trace around each standoff. Remove the engine, find and mark the center of the circles, lay it on the firewall and then drill.

Steady there Big Fella.......Don't confuse us with your mid-west logic.....
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easily confused, I see........
Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Ram Jet

You could make your own with a piece for cereal box cardboard and a Great Planes Dead Center Hole Locator.

Bill
Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 AM
eugene

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Easily confused, I see........

Actually, a feeble attempt at humor.....that's exactly the way I layed out the mounting holes on my DL-50......
Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Everyone offering suggestions.... AJF-2 explained that the standoffs don't extend beyond the carb, and he doesn't want to remove the carb just to make a template. On this engine, perhaps the holes are symmetrically spaced around the centerline of the crank. Many of the CHinese engines are NOT and use an irregular pattern. Those really do benefit from a template, because most of us want the spinner and thrust line to be correct on these things.

I think the point isn't that he *cannot* make one, but rather he's asking *WHY* can't manufacturers just include them to make our job a little easier? I agree with that. They are pre-gluing hinges on control surfaces now.... because we must have expected it. I don't really think that is a step forward because I like to do my own and know how each is done. To each their own, I suppose.

My recent Yak 55SP from Peak included plywood templates for the DA 50 and 3W50i .... I wonder why they did that? To make it easier for us to get the holes right on the firewall.... hmmm.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

You could make your own with a piece for cereal box cardboard and a Great Planes Dead Center Hole Locator.

Bill
Only if it is from the Breakfast of Champions "Wheaties" My feeble attempt at humor. Forgive me. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I think we have just found the difference between "hobbists" and "modlers"..............
Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

wow RCU is quick to throw stones I guess they all are experts now a days and fly like TOC material
Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

I am humbled to be in the presence of such men of high principles. I am guessing that you are modelers of such great skills that you still refuse to build an ARF and you still insist on using yellow wood glue and silk span and dope because all those new fangled gadgets like CA glue, film covering, 2.4 radio systems mean that you are not a “REAL MODELERâ€

I guess I could search the web endlessly for what I need, but then I do have a job and other interests like my motorcycle and golf. I guess a “REAL MODELER†is required to dig and search on all sites, purchase ALL the latest gadgets to have a self sufficient shop to design and create whatever he needs. Then the “REAL MODELER†can post over 12,000 times on RCU to prove he knows exactly what he is talking about and scorn the poor fool that would ask for a simple template to make a 1 hour job into a 30 minute job.

I ask a simple question and receive an endless sermon on why I don’t qualify to fly.

I would ask the moderator to close the thread, but wait! He called it the “credit card generation†WOW! Not only are they world class engineers, but they got all the quips, too. I guess unless you spend hours on hours in the shop doing it the hard way, you do not deserve the right to hold a transmitter.

BOY I AM IMPRESSED!!!! IT'S A HOBBY!!!!! Yea, I made those letters big to make a point!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 AM
goirish

I think some of the inappropriate post have been deleted. Why don't everyone just have a Happy New Year. I for one, when the wind quits blowing will be going flying. Anyone want to join me? It seemed like this thread started out OK, what happen to it?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:32 AM
AJF--2

I agree. I just noticed that some have been deleted. However, it is hard to "un-ring a bell" after you hear it.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:35 AM
goirish

So, did you want to go flying with me? Got the skis on and it is 19*. Having a heat wave.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 AM
ledsled

I can't stand the cold. It's suppose to be 27*, when the flying starts on the 1st at our Numb Thumbs fly-in. It amazes me how you folks fly up north in the freezing cold.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM
goirish

Hey it warms ya right up when you have a dead stick and you have to walk a couple of blocks in waist deep snow. I fly with a mongo mitt, keeps my hands warm. If I could just talk my wife into starting the plane that would help. Here is a picture of the beautiful Michigan outdoors.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44485.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1100121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60168.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1100122  
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
ledsled

I use to get up to Lansing several times a year, it never failed, I always hit a wall of snow just above Fort Wayne.
I found a nice hobby shop up there. The staff I worked with were great outdoor folks, spent a lot of time at the UP.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
AJF--2

We don't have anything that pretty here. Now it is 49 degrees dropping to 22 tonight with high wind warnings coming with the front. Gusts between 25-35 and I don't even want to think about the chill factor. Forget the models and mounting some stupid engine, this is a night for sippin and the hot tub!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

It's a nice balmy -25f here this morning
Old 12-31-2008, 11:07 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: ledsled

I use to get up to Lansing several times a year, it never failed, I always hit a wall of snow just above Fort Wayne.
I found a nice hobby shop up there. The staff I worked with were great outdoor folks, spent a lot of time at the UP.
Where was the Hobby shopLansingif so I don't think they have one anymore.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: AJF2

We don't have anything that pretty here. Now it is 49 degrees dropping to 22 tonight with high wind warnings coming with the front. Gusts between 25-35 and I don't even want to think about the chill factor. Forget the models and mounting some stupid engine, this is a night for sippin and the hot tub!
I'll go along with that as long as the hot tub in indoors.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: Super08

It's a nice balmy -25f here this morning
Shoot you can take off your shirt and tan the goose bumps. Would not be so bad here but the stupid wind blowing and gives you a chill factor of -20 to -27
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 AM
AJF--2

I'll go along with that as long as the hot tub in indoors

Nope. Got to be outside to see the stars. It is 6 long steps to the patio door and it takes forever to get there. Seriously, after sitting in 102 degree water for a while you stay warmer than you think. Not as bad as you imagine.[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.